• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail guy/gals

iceback

Pro
Being that Yamaha has decided not to produce a mountain sled for 2020 and the Mountain side of this site has all but died , I feel the need to reach over to the trail side for input/ suggestions , ideas , answers to questions, hope you don’t mind .
I have a 2017 MTX with Hurricane 270 High Elevation tune that Dave work with me on to dial in with data logging . ( Now at 3500 miles on tune ) still working on belt issues , but close .
The tune is awesome, Dave was great , even responding with updates on the weekend after looking at my log from that mornings ride and sending an update by early afternoon .
Had a RX1 , a couple of Apex Mtns , one was turbocharged Bender (10 psi ) no clutch issues on any .
So my questions to you are :

Can the new clutches be made as reliable as the ones on sleds mentioned above ?

( Have done clutch off set with Hurricane tool , machined secondary to spec , TP springs primary and secondary, factory springs , Factory helix ,TP helix , 911 cover , tried jp and dn belts , dalton weights , Hurricane weights .) works for the most part but when I don’t contain myself (which I never had to do with the Apex bender setup ) , bang , the belt goes .
I try to limit the amount of miles on belt and monitor the heat knowing that these sleds with added HP are hard on things , Blew through a track at 3000 miles on 270 tune , ( loved it ! ) .

Just want to get to the point of seeing a climb and knowing I have the Hp and rider ability , but not having to question if the belt will blow , not fun on a Mtn sled

How many of you are running fully clipped tracks ?
Camso Power Claw is clipped every other window , shows excessive wear on drivers and track .
I also get a lot of vibration , clips are staggered left to right one window clipped next empty.
Thanks for any input .

You could always switch back to the old clutches if that makes you comfortable. If so I would talk to Terry and Tim at Thunder Products they have done just that many times. Just keep in mind you are going to go faster up the Mountain than any of those sleds you mentioned because you have more power. Is always a price to pay. Did you try Hurricanes alignment bar? What belt are you running?

Yes I have the Hurricane alignment bar and did have secondary machined ,took off 3.5mm to get correct .
This definitely helped with clutch heat .
Have run both 8jp and 8dn belts , back to using 8jp not much difference as to when/how they blow .

Would probably be a chunk of coin, which it sounds like you have invested already, but maybe a change to the Cat/Team clutches would do the trick?

The belly pan below and in front of the clutches, seal it with rtv to keep snow from coming in along the frame to panel areas.

ShootToThrill did RTX come fully clipped ? If not , do you notice whether fully clipped is smoother under power.
I have never noticed a difference in smoothness fully clipped vs clipped every other. I just like my slides to run on clips and I went from the 2.86 track with the quiet pads to a 2.52 pitch "normal" track.

I too prefer a fully clipped track, and so fully clipped my 18LTX before I even rode it, however, I’ve had since day one, a ‘clicking’ noise at low speed and am wondering if it could be the drivers hitting all the clips? Since I never rode it with clips every other one, I’m not sure what else it could be, or what’s causing it... I did use a decent press type install tool with an impact wrench, so while probably not quite as good as factory clips, they look well crimped.

Is anyone else have a noise like this that are running a fully clipped track? Or, anybody have any ideas what this could be?

Regards,

Back