• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trailering - cover on your sled, or not?

mooseflyer

Expert
Another thread about washing your cover in the washing machine made me think of this.... do you guys use your cover when trailering your sled? IMO, it keeps road grime, rocks, bugs, etc from beating up your paint job, and also saves a wash job when you get home. My buddy, however, thanks that the cover and/or straps flapping at highway speed does more to damage the finish than possible road grime. On a clear and sunny day, MAYBE he has a point. What do you think?

PS - enclosed trailer guys need not respond, LOL....

I say cover it. Let's face it, these sleds are not cheap so I say spend the extra $200 or what every for the prem cover with the cotton thingy and cover it up. And as far as road grime on the finish. It's not just the finish, it gets everywhere, in every vent on the sled. Next time you make a trip to go ride pop the hood on the truck and see how that looks when you get there, and that was in the front of the trip, the sled just spent however long getting hammered with the grime off the back of the truck. It may be overkill but mine gets covered in the covered trailer.

I always covered mine, before I went with the covered trailer route. With the $ we have sunk into these things, covering them is a no brainer.

I have the cotton cover and always cover with factory sled cover heading down the highway on a trailer or even in the back of my pickup. Sucks when it all gets wet and freezes but well worth it! I use the cotton cover even when sled is in the garage as a dust cover all summer and works well.

Super Sled said:
I always covered mine, before I went with the covered trailer route. With the $ we have sunk into these things, covering them is a no brainer.

Went i saw a buddies old ski doo (years ago) loose all his motor mounts on a 5 year old sled because of salt/road krap.. i ALWAYS cover.. this is why you get a "fitted" cover... i used to take a old clean towel and drape it over the hood to keep flapping at bay.

I used to ALWAYS cover my sleds when trailering with my old open trailer. I figured the covers were expendable, versus the sleds. A salt shield on an open trailer is a huge help in keeping the sleds clean.

One hint for washing...I used to leave the covers on the sled and hit them with a hose and then scrub them while still on the sled. Made it very easy to clean them, since the cover was stretched tight.

Once or twice a winter, on a nice sunny day, I would hit the local "do it yourself" carwash. I would take the powerwand and give the covers a quick rinse, and then let them dry in the sun. That would knock a ton of the salt and crap off them.

Man, am I glad those days are over...I've got a sweet enclosed trailer now.

Something else to consider regarding covering it. Think electrical. All that salty crap is going to be soaking down a lot of connectors that can be very difficult to service.

always covered my sxr and war. the et never did as i never found a cover that fit right on it but it is usually in the back of the truck. just threw the covers in the work outfit/rug washing machine and hung them to dry.

use enclosed now.

You are crazy if you dont use a cover when trailering sleds on an open trailer. You will get a little scuffing of the paint and windshields over time from the canvas covers. However, one trip on salted slushy roads and all your aluminum parts even under the hood will be corroded. G.B.

100% agree with what most everyone has said. You've got to be nuts to trailer your sleds without a cover. Salt is a killer to electrical connectors, nuts, bolts, etc. I would NEVER trailer without one even on a dry road day. There will still be salt dust finding its way into every nook and cranny. I would also NEVER purchase a used sled that I had any suspicion was towed without being covered. One look under the hood and it's not too hard to tell. I just cringe when I see people towing without a cover and wonder how lazy they must be to allow their sleds to be destroyed like that.

I find the Yamaha cover with the undercover works quite well without any amount of flapping in the wind. It is a pain to put on, but worth it. If you don't want to pay the $40 for the undercover just use an old bed sheet or something.

Back