• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

turbo and down pipe keep coming loose

quadsean1

Extreme
Front mount turbo apex the bolts keep backing out of my downpipe and the nuts and bolts holding the turbo to the header keep getting loose I have even installed nord lock washers and it still came loose. What are you guys out their doing to prevent this from happening. I was thinking of buying lock bolts made by percys they have a split end in the bolt and a setscrew in the middle that when tightend locks the bolt from moving.

The arrow piece has to be up against something for them to work. There is no nut, just a slot for the C clip. I had the exact same problem you are dealing with. How is your exhaust mounted? If your mounting points don't flex enough then it will loosen the bolts up on the housing so it can flex. The other thing I got was between the turbo housing and exhaust flange I used some stove gasket cement rated for 2000 degrees.

The down pipe is bolted on with a multi layer gasket and also has a flex joint half way down the pipe. On my header it only has clearance holes drilled in it same as whare the turbo bolts to it so you would have to use a nut and bolt to attach them togeather and I was also using a multi layer gasket their to. Are you using stainless bolts? ?

I don't believe they are Stainless, but don't remember for sure. I know the exhaust housing bolts on mine are an allen wrench style grade 8 bolt from the auto store. I bent my last set from coming loose and banging around. If nothing else works I have seen people buy a new set and drill a small hole through the head and then feed wire through them, connecting each one to each other. I believe they do this on air planes.

From my header to downpipe and everything in between is stage 8 bolts. Get them, install them and forget about them.

Back