• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Dynamics Canada Dyno results

Is no one worried about higher boost levels and $hitty fuel on the trails?

bad gas keep your finger out of the throttle. 2nd carry good octane booster.

You are the first I heard of on a track dyno. How is the belt holding up? If you havent clutched yet and barely hitting limiter with that kind of gains there has to be a huge amount left on the table clutching wise when stock? Have you marked the clutches stock and modded?
Clutches are operating perfectly so far. We have about 80 runs total, and the belt looks new and has not broken in yet. Belt is barely qualifies as warm. Even when we use the brake to load it more and do many back to back runs. It's the coolest clutches I've tested to date. I think the stronger motor mounts, and the Yamaha clutches are working very well. The sled also has fairly short gears which help belt heat.

The real test will be top speed testing in snow. Then we will see how good the clutching is and how good belt durability is. I have confidence in this Yamaha setup as it seems to have less overdrive just by eye. I have yet to measure it though so I can't see exactly how much overdrive is available. I was able to reach over 120mph on the track dyno but the load is not as high as a sled in snow with aerodynamics involved. Clutches always have more top speed when subjected to lighter loads (example going downhill)

bad gas keep your finger out of the throttle. 2nd carry good octane booster.
We will have a knock light that will warn you to add octane or not go full throttle until better fuel is available. But I have a feeling at 13 psi max it won't be a problem.
We were able to make the same HP on a 2 cylinder at 19 psi of boost on good quality 91 octane fuel. I expect this sled to make more HP before finding the limit with the higher RPM and lower boost level, cooler air temps and a 3rd cylinder to share the load/heat

Clutches are operating perfectly so far. We have about 80 runs total, and the belt looks new and has not broken in yet. Belt is barely qualifies as warm. Even when we use the brake to load it more and do many back to back runs. It's the coolest clutches I've tested to date. I think the stronger motor mounts, and the Yamaha clutches are working very well. The sled also has fairly short gears which help belt heat.

The real test will be top speed testing in snow. Then we will see how good the clutching is and how good belt durability is. I have confidence in this Yamaha setup as it seems to have less overdrive just by eye. I have yet to measure it though so I can't see exactly how much overdrive is available. I was able to reach over 120mph on the track dyno but the load is not as high as a sled in snow with aerodynamics involved. Clutches always have more top speed when subjected to lighter loads (example going downhill)
Load that thing down to 2000rpm wide open throttle 120mph and see what happens. I have never seen a track Dyno in operation so am clueless if it's even possible on track dyno but that's what we do on bikes and quads. Really appreciate your knowledge. Thank you. Makes sense

The gain is from 106 to 129 hp. Thats 23 hp. You can use 50% track vs engine. My experience is 57% is more exact. Thats 40 hp gain i engine hp. I have seen reference to dynos from 181 to 212 hp. So everybody could choose their own number. The one I trust most had a dyno run of 188, and then add 40. Thats 228 hp. Its ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you seeing 57 percent to track? I have been on a few different one and the dyno guy said maybe on a very good day with a lot clutching adjustments maybe 55 percent but not on a stock factory trail sled no. Way!

Turbo Dynamics dyno show that Sidewinder have 56-57% hp to the track, and I have seen alot of dynos with that number.

Turbo Dynamics dyno show that Sidewinder have 56-57% hp to the track, and I have seen alot of dynos with that number.

?????????????? where do they show that? they have a track dyno then they use a calculator that has only 2 buttons 1 is(X) and the other is (2) that is as scientific as scientology ( sorry Tom Cruise). If that math is correct then my 15 with a stock motor at 10.5 lbs of boost is 289.72 crank hp. 289.72 -135 stock= 154.72 gain / 10.5 lbs of boost = 14.74 hp per lb of boost.

So my 14 is 20 lbs x 14.74 per lb = 294.80 + 135 =429.8 HP Good golly I better stock up on DEPENDS!!!!!!!!;)! NOT!

The only true way to know is to have a track dyno and a crank dyno and that is not going to happen but I do know that Allen Ulmer uses the ratio of track hp x 1.84 so my 15 is 144.86 x 1.84 = 266.55 hp and that is far from double the track hp. the suspensions are the same the gearbox is the same only a little diff in the primary between viper and winder.

144,86/266,5 is 54%

10 years ago standard Yamaha Warrior also delivered 54% of the engine hp to the track.

If the Sidewinder have 54% of the engine hp to the track in TD's dyno that will give the engine 196 hp, but I'm pretty sure Yamaha do a better clutch job today, 57% is absolut in the range. That's 186 hp to the engine

Here is some numbers using Allen's 1 track hp = 1.84 crank hp, again just an estimate.

1/1.84 = 0.5435 or 54.4% assumed clutch efficiency
106.26 x 1.84= 195.52 stock base line
129.22 x 1.84= 237.76 Muffler and Eco Tune
237.76 - 195.52= 42.24 HP gain

No matter how you cut it minimum 42 plus hp gain with a muffler and ecu flash on only 12.7 psi boost, impressive, can't wait to see the wick really turned up on this new motor. Keep up the great work Turbo Dynamics.

Hurrican just posted their crank hp #'s and it is 184 .7 at the crank x .57 = 105.34 at the track interestingly close to the track hp of the base line stock hp #'s on this post, not 212 crank hp.

2,8 psi adds 40-42 hp. Thats alot, and very nice. I assume the oem muffler is very small (urge).

Hurrican just posted their crank hp #'s and it is 184 .7 at the crank x .57 = 105.34 at the track interestingly close to the track hp of the base line stock hp #'s on this post, not 212 crank hp.

The ongoing discussion on which dyno says the truth, are we still on that subject ?
If I read many of the guys here only the low dyno numbers are the truth ? LOL
That is just wrong. All dynos that can repeat runs within half a HP are great tools.

Again the only important thing is % of gain, and not only that but average HP through the run.

Dyno rooms are not all created equal. Not everyone uses the same correction factors, the same airflow in front of the sled, the same quality of air in the dyno room (contamination)
I won't point out names of shops but I've been to engine dynos where the quality of the air was a large factors. Both these dynos read on the low side. The dyno room certainly accounted for at least 5HP loss in my opinion. Location of dyno weather station or stack, makes a difference. Making sure the air inlet temps are the same as what the dyno reads.

For example, my stack is close to the air intake on my sled to get a more accurate temp reading. Not close enough to make the baro sensor read off of course.
Also the quality of the exhaust tube venting outside air makes a difference too. You would be surprised how much a dyno exhaust vent system can affect HP. That's why we made a mandrel bent 3.5" exhaust that expands to 4" right to the outside of the room for maximum evacuation of the exhaust stream with the least amount of backpressure. Dyno room exhaust contimation I've seen way too often to the point it could make you sick at times.

And lets not forgot boost leaks and variation from sled to sled and other testing conditions. My own sled had a small boost leak straight from the factory. Had we tested straight from the crate I am positive we'd have gotten 100 track HP or less. Newer motor, not full broken in + 0.8 psi loss in intake pressure (9% boost loss).

Back