• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Dynamics clutch kit

I think the 8jp belt is ok a lot of stock and modstock winders are and have run it w/no problems. But that is the only belt I have blown and it did have 1100 very hard miles when it, when it let go. I must say my xs825 has more miles on it,and still looks new. Either belt works,but the 825 is a sticky belt,and does grab the sheeves better,and will drop rpms some.

Well, I guess with all the feed back about the 825, I will get one and try it with the new clutch set up when it comes in. Thanks for the feed back.

So I got the clutch kit last night when I got home from work! Will be putting it back together tonight and hope to do some testing this weekend. Instructions say to load the QAY 70 weights to 74 grams. Think I will start a tad lighter and work up if need be. Going to try both the 8jp and the 825 belts for comparison purposes just to see differences in RPM. I will report back, my results.

So I got the clutch kit last night when I got home from work! Will be putting it back together tonight and hope to do some testing this weekend. Instructions say to load the QAY 70 weights to 74 grams. Think I will start a tad lighter and work up if need be. Going to try both the 8jp and the 825 belts for comparison purposes just to see differences in RPM. I will report back, my results.
What tune are you running?

Its a 2017 LTX SE with Hurricane 270, Stock modified muffler, CAI, BOV, 1.5" lug track with 144 trail studs, and now a Turbo Dynamics Clutch kit.
Hi,yes the 8jp compared to xs825 will keep rpms up around 400 more than 825 belt will. Nice thing about Dalton weights,you can bring set screws along for the trip,and insert them when needed.Can you read what the markings are on the side of the helix? Just wondering what the kit components were?

The helix is a 35 39. What should I initially load the weights too? The clutch kit didn't really specify. Does 74 grams sound right?

With the 35 helix I'd be 77-78 G on the 8JP on the 270 Hurricane tune. No Idea why you'd want to use a 35-39 helix on a tuned sled. The 8JP already slips the belt on the topend with the 35.

Try the XS825 belt down around 73-74 G with that helix and see what happens. It a far better belt at gripping the clutches and lasting without blowing on a tuned sled, but it takes a bunch less weight.

This sled came with the 35 39 helix in it. I know stock is straight 35. Do you recommend going with the stock straight 35 helix or should I look at something else with my setup?

With the 35 helix I'd be 77-78 G on the 8JP on the 270 Hurricane tune. No Idea why you'd want to use a 35-39 helix on a tuned sled. The 8JP already slips the belt on the topend with the 35.

Try the XS825 belt down around 73-74 G with that helix and see what happens. It a far better belt at gripping the clutches and lasting without blowing on a tuned sled, but it takes a bunch less weight.

Those are the exact weights that are working for me. I have Powertrail tune with SQ exhaust and CAI, so right around 270 hp according to TD. Black/bronze primary spring, black/orange secondary spring wrapped to 6-2 and stock helix.

With the 8JP I needed 7.4 grams in QAY70’s to get the RPM below 9,000. I switched to the XS825 and I dropped the weights to 4.4 grams. I tested last week and the sled went to around 9,200 and settled around 8,900.

Also, my offset is between 57.5 and 58 mm (the clutch is not 100% true when I spin it) and I have never blown a belt. I switched out the original 8JP at around 2,000 kms just in case and the current XS825 looks great.

What are your thoughts about running a lower finish helix with the 8JP? Do you think it would eliminate the belt slip? Something like a 30-32 finish??

What are your thoughts about running a lower finish helix with the 8JP? Do you think it would eliminate the belt slip? Something like a 30-32 finish??

It's something I never tried going below 35*, but would think it could possibly help, I went to the heavier Cat springs in the secondary, but never found the consistency I was looking for and have no desire to ever run a Yamaha belt on the SideWinder again.

I tried for years to find something I felt good with using on the Yamaha belts, the heavy secondary springs worked well on certain days, then the temps and conditions would change and the belts would smear and slip again. I was ready to go down and just use the 240 tune and almost gave up on running the big tunes on the trail until I started using the XS825 belt this year. From now on, no more Yamaha belts for me! I just have had no success with them on anything over the 240 tune on my sled. The XS 825 belt just flat out works in all the tunes I have in the bundle, and I no longer need extra pinch in the secondary like I did in the Yamaha belts.

what secondary spring did u end up liking the best ? at what degree ? thanks

Back