• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Dynamics clutch kit

Currently running the Dalton V1 Black/Orange at 80 wrap on the XS825 belt. Couldn't do that on the Yamaha belts before or they'd slip something horrible.

Currently running the Dalton V1 Black/Orange at 80 wrap on the XS825 belt. Couldn't do that on the Yamaha belts before or they'd slip something horrible.
did u get chance to try the dalton black/tan secondary spring ?

did u get chance to try the dalton black/tan secondary spring ?

Yes I did, IMO its not needed on the XS825 belt. It was not heavy enough for me on the Yamaha belts, and was too much for the XS825. So I backed down to the Black/Orange at 90*, then 85* and now set at where I think I will run it at 80*. My V1 goes over the studs at 40* with no wrap at all for a 0* wrap, so I don't think I want to unwrap it any further than that.

Its old but there's a whole thread on TD clutch recommendations started by Ben.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/turbo-dynamics-clutch-kit-starting-weight-recommendations.150616/

Last I read anywhere Ben was still recommending a 35º helix.
My OEM 8JP belt went at 2350 miles. My spare was an 8JP which has ~900 miles now. My spare is now the XS825.

Not all sleds are created equal, some guys can run a 40 straight helix and normal springs without issues, others can’t even get away with the 35 and big springs.

Yes I did, IMO its not needed on the XS825 belt. It was not heavy enough for me on the Yamaha belts, and was too much for the XS825. So I backed down to the Black/Orange at 90*, then 85* and now set at where I think I will run it at 80*. My V1 goes over the studs at 40* with no wrap at all for a 0* wrap, so I don't think I want to unwrap it any further than that.
85*??? How are you doing that?

85*??? How are you doing that?

Very carefully. Notice the added holes spaced properly.

3FEE12B1-967D-4DFA-BF82-7E6B862DB685.jpeg
7C40135E-880D-4843-8BB5-BA67612D662A.jpeg

Last edited:
So I didn't get a chance to try out this new clutch kit yet but from all my research so far, I am looking at wrapping the secondary to 60 with the new TD secondary spring, 35/39 reverse helix, glide washers one on each side of the primary spring, Loading the QAY1 Dalton weights to 74g, installing the Thunder Products HD rollers with washers, and going to try it with the 8JP belt. If I don't like or blow this belt again, I will try the XS825 and a stock straight 35 helix. Seems like most of you prefer the xs825 and a mix of opinions on the stock helix versus the 35/39 reverse helix. Thoughts?

So I didn't get a chance to try out this new clutch kit yet but from all my research so far, I am looking at wrapping the secondary to 60 with the new TD secondary spring, 35/39 reverse helix, glide washers one on each side of the primary spring, Loading the QAY1 Dalton weights to 74g, installing the Thunder Products HD rollers with washers, and going to try it with the 8JP belt. If I don't like or blow this belt again, I will try the XS825 and a stock straight 35 helix. Seems like most of you prefer the xs825 and a mix of opinions on the stock helix versus the 35/39 reverse helix. Thoughts?

That will be close for the 240 tune however I'd wrap that Black/Orange up at 80 at least. 60 is way to light. If you are trying to run a 270 or 300 tune that will be no where near enough weight or wrap, and you'd need a 35 helix and about 78G for a 270 tune or so using the 8JP.

That will be close for the 240 tune however I'd wrap that Black/Orange up at 80 at least. 60 is way to light. If you are trying to run a 270 or 300 tune that will be no where near enough weight or wrap, and you'd need a 35 helix and about 78G for a 270 tune or so using the 8JP.
I guess seeing as I have the 270hp modified stock exhaust tune, I will need to re think my initial set up? I think I have the black gold secondary spring, not sure, I will look when I get home. I was just going by the chart I was given with the TD clutch kit. I know it is all initial setup and I will have to adjust some things but I just want to start as close as I can obviously.

Sorry, you are right, my initial primary weight is set at 77.4g... I had already set it. I will also wrap the secondary to 80 initially and adjust if needed. Glide washers on both sides of the primary spring. I will try this to start. I hope I am close with this setup, I cant afford a belt every 250 miles. lol.

Sorry, you are right, my initial primary weight is set at 77.4g... I had already set it. I will also wrap the secondary to 80 initially and adjust if needed. Glide washers on both sides of the primary spring. I will try this to start. I hope I am close with this setup, I cant afford a belt every 250 miles. lol.

I'd start buying Ultimax XS825 belts then. I couldn't keep a Yamaha belt on my sled for three years.

Back