• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Dynamics clutch kit

Run the QAY70 empty with the stock straight 35 and you'll be close. If its the Gen 2 dalton black/orange secondary spring run it at 6-2, Gen 1 6-1.

If it's a bit light, easy to add weight on the trail.

The actual wrap at 6-2 or 6-1 is only 40 degrees of initial twist on that spring. That is considered extremely low wrap for almost any clutching setup. What didn’t you like about the 6-3 setting?

The actual wrap at 6-2 or 6-1 is only 40 degrees of initial twist on that spring. That is considered extremely low wrap for almost any clutching setup. What didn’t you like about the 6-3 setting?

Dalton recommends 6-1 on the Gen 1 and 6-2 on the Gen 2. I run the Gen 1 at 6-1, 6-3 generates too much heat for my liking. I've ran it at 3-3 on the ice/hardpack and its cooler yet than at 6-1.

Your post is the first I've ever heard of running the dalton black orange at 9-1. No disrespect I just think thats too tight and will generate alot of belt heat. I may be wrong.

Dalton recommends 6-1 on the Gen 1 and 6-2 on the Gen 2. I run the Gen 1 at 6-1, 6-3 generates too much heat for my liking. I've ran it at 3-3 on the ice/hardpack and its cooler yet than at 6-1.

Your post is the first I've ever heard of running the dalton black orange at 9-1. No disrespect I just think thats too tight and will generate a lot of belt heat. I may be wrong.

Dalton B/o slides on with ZERO wrap at 40* so using 60 is like running 20* of wrap is all, and 70 is like running only 30* actual wrap.

Twisting them up is needed with bigger power to prevent slippage. If I try to run only 60* and a 8JP I can't go over 105 MPH on any tune other than the 240 and the belt goes boom! I run min 80* on that spring more often then not, I'm at 85-95 degrees of wrap for trail use and that's on the XS825 which bites much better than the 8JP.

Dalton B/o slides on with ZERO wrap at 40* so using 60 is like running 20* of wrap is all, and 70 is like running only 30* actual wrap.

Twisting them up is needed with bigger power to prevent slippage. If I try to run only 60* and a 8JP I can't go over 105 MPH on any tune other than the 240 and the belt goes boom! I run min 80* on that spring more often then not, I'm at 85-95 degrees of wrap for trail use and that's on the XS825 which bites much better than the 8JP.

80* being 6-2 right knapper?

With the 35 helix I'd be 77-78 G on the 8JP on the 270 Hurricane tune. No Idea why you'd want to use a 35-39 helix on a tuned sled. The 8JP already slips the belt on the topend with the 35.

Try the XS825 belt down around 73-74 G with that helix and see what happens. It a far better belt at gripping the clutches and lasting without blowing on a tuned sled, but it takes a bunch less weight.
Hurricane told me to run the 35/39 helix as well but I'm still trying to get it to come out of the hole quicker I was thinking about trying to load the spring to 9.1 as someone else told me to

So... I tried the TD Clutch kit with the XS 825. QAY70 weights loaded initially to 78g as recommended on the chart, secondary wrapped to 6-1 as recommended, glide washers on both sides of the primary spring, was way off. I was only able to pull 8,350 RPM's. I kept removing primary weight and am now down to 73g and still need to pull more as now my RPM's are still only 8,600 - 8,700. I can only go one more size before the weights are empty! Maybe the XS 825 is just not the right belt for this Clutch kit? Nothing else has changed, Hurricane 270 power trail muffler mod, CAI, BOV, 144 trail studs, stock gearing. Should I go back to the 8JP if I cant get the RPM's back to 8,800?
The chart recommendations are for the 8JP belt , thats why your way off. Make sure your using the 35 helix and start with weights empty, add weight from there if needed but if your spinning 86-8700 right now Im guessing youll end up empty or with 1/4" set screw in there to get 8900-9000rpms

The chart recommendations are for the 8JP belt , thats why your way off. Make sure your using the 35 helix and start with weights empty, add weight from there if needed but if your spinning 86-8700 right now Im guessing youll end up empty or with 1/4" set screw in there to get 8900-9000rpms
isn't that too high for the tunes I was told 87 8800 ?

isn't that too high for the tunes I was told 87 8800 ?
Matter of personal preference I think, I believe turbo dynamic tunes are advertised to run at 8900, not sure about hurricane. Your not giving up much if any hp with a slight over rev and its actually easier on motor, reduced load lessens the chance of knock.

Run the QAY70 empty with the stock straight 35 and you'll be close. If its the Gen 2 dalton black/orange secondary spring run it at 6-2, Gen 1 6-1.

If it's a bit light, easy to add weight on the trail.

Imo... Justinator and DMC 's advice will put you real close to where you need to be.

Yeah... that is what I am thinking. Going back to the stock 35 helix, empty the weights and add if needed, wrap on secondary will be 6-2 to start... I really was hoping to make the 35/39 Dalton helix work.

So I checked the springs and I have the black/green primary and the secondary is black/tan

Black/Tan Dalton should be used at about a 50 wrap. It has much more torsion than the Black/Orange.

50 wrap on the tan is like 95 wrap on the orange for finish pressure on my drill press scale.

Yeah... that is what I am thinking. Going back to the stock 35 helix, empty the weights and add if needed, wrap on secondary will be 6-2 to start... I really was hoping to make the 35/39 Dalton helix work.
My sled came with the 35/39 helix and while I think someone could make it work I found it to be a little inconsistent rpm wise depending on snow conditions. The straight 35 is consistent day to day on my sled. I will also say this, I prefer the stock yellow rear spring at 60 over the black tan. I have a belt temp gauge on my sled and tried the black tan at 50 and belt temps were quite warm, I lowered the wrap to 40 and it was better but ran 16-20 degrees warmer than yellow spring. It did have slightly better throttle response at low speeds and cruise rpms were a few hundred higher at speeds below 60. Either way it didnt run too hot to cause issues I dont think but I felt the yellow worked better overall and accelerated better. If you want to use that tan spring dont go over 50 wrap for sure because that will definetly get too warm with the ultimax belt.

Back