• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

turbo my viper or sidewinder???

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
The season is coming fast:-o and it's getting close to decision time!
I've been juggling the idea to either add a turbo(hurricane) to my 2014 viper with 5000kms or to sell it and bite the bullet on a new sidewinder.
I absolutely love riding my viper and love the look this machine! It has been babied from the day I bought it but I'm due for somme added power!
The only issue that I have with the new sidewinder is that there is no rad

what would you do sell and buy new or turbo the viper?

First off you will loose your shirt trading in Viper on a sidewinder, Dave @HURRICANE has a good reputation and his kit's work.
So 5 K to go 15 mph faster on a Viper.
Or 19,000$ plus tax - what they will give you for your Viper, It's all dollar's and Cent's or (sense) !!!!!!!!
If coin is no object get a new Sidewinder.

Not sure if i'll be much help but adding a turbo to your viper would probably cost less if thats a concern. If money is not issue you should get the sidewinder it looks awesome! Pros and cons!

If the sidewinders are anything like the first year vipers, some guys may not be getting thei spring ordered sleds til mid-late December..that's not saying anything about a floor model and actually getting the sled that u want. And it wouldn't surprise me a bit of dealers will be getting full retail for floor models because people are going to want the sidewinder so there's $16k. Your viper has already taken the biggest hit in value, it won't be worth much less in 2 years as what it's worth right now. If it were me I'd turbo the viper, ride it until you're sure you want to upgrade and then pull the turbo back off and sell the sled and turbo individually and you'll probably make out alright and I can about guarantee you won't want to be getting rid of it anytime soon.

The season is coming fast:-o and it's getting close to decision time!
I've been juggling the idea to either add a turbo(hurricane) to my 2014 viper with 5000kms or to sell it and bite the bullet on a new sidewinder.
I absolutely love riding my viper and love the look this machine! It has been babied from the day I bought it but I'm due for somme added power!
The only issue that I have with the new sidewinder is that there is no rad

what would you do sell and buy new or turbo the viper?
I am in the same boat, love my viper but it's missing consistent top end on demand, thinking about holding off on the sidewinder for at least another year but keeping the viper for a spare sled , no way I am letting go my 14k viper with add ons for less than half.

I was in the same boat about what to do. If I were to turbo my viper and add the inner cooler and re gear it for the turbo and with all my add ons I would have more in my Viper than what I can buy a Sidewinder for plus a better shock package and Yamaha wiring ,Ecu quick release hood and side panels, roller clutches led head light. There's a lot of reasons why I am dumping my losses and going with a new Sidewinder and another 5 year warranty. Just my opinion. I do love my Viper but I want to try the Sidewinder.

Sideweinder will have rad ,but no fan! This sled is gona be a " ice making machinne" in the tunel compare to the viper.

As long as the intercooler stay clear of ice!!!!! Lol

for my experience and other whit turbo viper, GO SW

Hi Mark! I'd give the SW a year to straighten out any bugs if there is any! Through a turbo on yours and some curve skis and keep riding ,its just broken in!

I was in the same boat about what to do. If I were to turbo my viper and add the inner cooler and re gear it for the turbo and with all my add ons I would have more in my Viper than what I can buy a Sidewinder for plus a better shock package and Yamaha wiring ,Ecu quick release hood and side panels, roller clutches led head light. There's a lot of reasons why I am dumping my losses and going with a new Sidewinder and another 5 year warranty. Just my opinion. I do love my Viper but I want to try the Sidewinder.

I agree with this 100%

Hi Mark! I'd give the SW a year to straighten out any bugs if there is any! Through a turbo on yours and some curve skis and keep riding ,its just broken in!
Hey Boss nice to hear from you!!!!
My wife said the exact thing as you to wait one season to see how the SW performs and if all is well buy one next season.

Well from a guy that has "2" turbo Vipers I can say that if you install a trail turbo MPI kit with quiet muffler you are looking at a range of 156 to 184 hp depending on your sled, the dyno and the setup. I have seen numbers all over the place. when I bought my first 14 and mpi'd it with a stage 1 back in fall of 2013 I was very unhappy with the power increase and it would not pull away from my 2013 Polaris Pro R 800. After a year of playing with it - clutching, adding gauges and BLOWING the MOTOR, I rebuilt for big boost and pushed it up the scale to 7 and 11 #'s of boost with quick spool waste gate, upgraded fuel pump and 4th injector in the intercooler.

That was what I though I was going to have originally in power. It is amazing but took 2-1/2 years to get that right. The 2nd sled a 15 XTX I swapped everything out of the 14 as far as turbo, fuel system, gauges and controllers. We re-flashed it with EVO to pull timing and geared it taller for top end. It is now switched at 7 and 11 lbs on stock compression which yields 235 and about 264 hp which is a blast. The 14 is just getting done now and is in the neighborhood of 325 hp at 19#'s of boost and I cannot wait to ride it.

The rub is that this viper motor was not built to turbo and every day I ride I worry about the pistons coming through the head!

The facts are - you cannot turbo a viper to get the claimed 205 to 210 hp of the sidewinder for the same amount that a sidewinder costs if you are starting with a new viper and a new sidewinder! That being said you own the viper but you will still need to spend in the neighborhood of $7000 to $8000 to buy a stage 1 kit (not a trail kit), clutch kit gauges, muffler and labor to install to achieve what you get stock in the sidewinder in a platform with full warranty and a motor designed for boost. I know there are other kits out there like Hurricane, Push, MCX.... but each has things to consider.

If I had any inkling that it (sidewinder) was coming I would have never spent the kind of money I did on the 15 for that sled and the swap out let alone building the 14 even bigger!

Back