• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmer clutching or not?

IAVECTORGT

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 El Tigre
Hi all! Just purchased a new leftover '12 Apex standard and the accessories are going on now. Santa came early! I'm debating on installing Ulmer's clutch kit without changing gearing! I had an Ulmer clutch kit on my '10 Vector GT and absolutely loved it!!!! I've been told the Ulmer set-up won't make that much of a difference because the Apex clutching is that good. And I've been told the Ulmer clutching will make a big difference. All I do is trail ride! You all tell me, should I or not? Can't wait to hear what people have to say!

I picked up an 11 Apex this past February and am very happy with the clutching as is. Ride it the way it is and determine later whether a clutch kit is needed...save the money for other options like perhaps a fuel controller. I hear it's a worthwhile mod for the Apexes.

In my opinion, you should probably try your new machine prior to making that decision. A broken in Apex, especially the '11 and up has excellent stock clutching. If you make a change before having a benchmark, you'll never know if you wasted your money or not.

Jon

ecopter said:
In my opinion, you should probably try your new machine prior to making that decision. A broken in Apex, especially the '11 and up has excellent stock clutching. If you make a change before having a benchmark, you'll never know if you wasted your money or not.

Jon

You really should try it out first. ;)!

I've tried ulmer kit in 2011 Apex, and the only thing that you gain is a better backshift. The rpm hit over 10000 like a gun shot.

We try also adding 3gram on the tips of the stock flyweight with o-p-o spring. it pulls very hard!
The 2011-12 Apex love to be loaded.

My 2011 Stocker SE is very good with the stock clutching.

Walks away from the other new & old 800's in over 600' . Might do better in the short end if set up to race but it only has 102, 1.325's down the middle and suspension is set to trail ride not drag. ;)!

I'd try it stock if I were you.

:Rockon:

Clutching is a trade off and really its up to you to decide what you want to do. If you ride tight trails and want corner to corner, or if you run the lakes and want all out top speed, etc. The way it came from Yamaha is the compromise they came up with, a Ulmer clutch kit will set it up the way you want it.

If you dont know what you want then you might want to ride it first and see what you want.

Basically its not a given 'upgrade' to a sled to clutch it its a change to have it perform differently more suited for the rider preference.

Leave it stock and ride it. It takes a lot of mileage to get it to loosen up and go. Major diff in performance from 0-1000 miles. If you want to drag race 800 2 smokes just set the transfer rod to max. The 128 mono hole shots just about perfect with the rod open. I ran all last season that way and loved it.

ULMAR CLUTCH KIT OR STOCK?

I have a 2012 APEX SE and tried Ulmar's kit. Lost gas mileage and top end but pulled OK. Not worth the
money! The SE runs great as is.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think my decision is made that I'm going to leave it the way it is. Seems the consensus here is to leave it. I'll buy the Bender trail silencer instead. It was either one or the other. :Rockon:

Back