• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmer HE tuning experience and reviews?

YamaMTX

Lifetime Member
I put an Ulmer turbo on last summer but I was only able to ride it once in MI and once out in the Big Horns. The clutching was off big time out in the mountains and I could only make about 5 lbs of boost when I wanted to make 10 lbs. just wondering if anyone has pointers and also if you have had good success with yours? I only get out there a few times a year so I would like my sled to run right this year instead of just making it around. I also dealt with some odd afr issues. When you would stab the throttle it would climb to 15 but if you slowly got into it it would run at 12.5 also if you let off and got back on it when it was at 15 it would immediately drop to the safe zone. Just curious on what others think about there's? Ulmer has been helpful and I have ran much of this by him already. Thanks

A couple things I have figured out is if you use certain types of fuel, your a/f ratio's are all over the place. Try to use Eth free fuel. Some a/f ratio sensors are shot right out of the gate. Depending what type of a/f sensor you are using, they are a better replacement than an engine tear down if you are getting false readings and damaging your motor.

You have tested for leaks? How do you get 5 when you want 10? Your adjusting the wastegate or do you have a boost controller? Is it always exactly half of what you want or is that just where it ended up? Has it ever run a full 10 psi?

My comment is on the a/f ratios he was observing. As for the boost? When I was experimenting with the different fuel companies here in Canada, when I was running non ethanol, I would run higher boost on my guage, at least 2-3 psi. With that said, with a SC you run higher boost with higher rpm. you not running optimum rpm with crappy a/f ratios!

I have not tested for leaks. Ulmer has never thought that was the issue. My clutching was way low on Rpm so he wanted me to get that fixed first. The kit is made to run 6 lbs in MN and to use the boost controller to raise it up out west. It has yet to run 10 lbs but that was my very first trip out west where I was able to play with the idea of raising it.

YamaMTX said:
I have not tested for leaks. Ulmer has never thought that was the issue. My clutching was way low on Rpm so he wanted me to get that fixed first. The kit is made to run 6 lbs in MN and to use the boost controller to raise it up out west. It has yet to run 10 lbs but that was my very first trip out west where I was able to play with the idea of raising it.

Add C14 or 16 fuel and do some testing with the boost controller while your at home . This will ensure you do not detno while working out the issues. Check your wastegate and controller to makesure all the lines are properly installed...

I will try that if we get any snow here this year. Thanks for that idea now I need to find some race gas.

Anyone have a good reccommendation for a good set of easily adjustable clutch weights? I already have an adjustable Shockwave helix which I played with a bit out west but didn't make much difference in performance at the time.

Back