• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Upgraded Battery Choices? / Lithium ? / Feedback?

Blue Dave

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX DX
My original battery in my '07 Apex still shows good on my Optimate charger and it worked well last season. However I am thinking that after 5 years it may be time to replace it just for peace of mind. I am trying to decide if I should buy the same battery as a replacement or upgrade to whatever may be better that is available today.

What do you guys think about this EarthX lithium battery that was featured in an article in Snow Tech magazine? Has anybody tried one? What other types of batteries are available that would be an upgrade over stock? I am looking for feedback from people who have upgraded to something else with pros & cons, pricing, etc.

I have attached the article from Snow Tech. Sorry for the poor quality. I had a high resolution scan but apparently the file was too large to attach. If you left click on the article you will get a larger image that you can read. The $250 price seems steep but it is supposed to last 4 times as long as a lead acid battery.

Attachments

• Lithium.jpg
    Lithium.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 381

Dave,

I know you asked for feedback from those that have experience with these... I have not, so take this is for what it's worth... with a grain of salt.

After reading the article, on paper these batteries are intriguing. I too would like to hear real world feed-back relating to performance & durability.

I do know however that lithium ion batteries work much better in my cordless power tools than their conventional counterparts. That is ... when they're good. They have proven to be a great source of frustration for me, however. I don't care the manufacturer (Dewalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Ryobi...) the batteries puke out too early and are expensive to replace.

Personally, I would wait before spending that amount of money until they can prove the test of time.

There's a long thread on this subject in the mountain section. Short version is you don't want to rely on the Li battery in moderate or worse cold weather. My Apex has started after -40 overnight in QC - not a chance with the Li polymer batts.

During extremely cold weather (-20 deg F) was the only time my stock battery ever had a problem starting my sled. So any upgraded battery that I would purchase needs to be better than stock in extreme cold.

Besides lithium ion, are there other upgraded battery choices out there that people have tried? I want to look at all of my options for upgrading the performance before I purchase a replacement.

I have the odessy in my supercharged sled over 5 years old, never been touched by a charger. I keep thinking I should replace it each year but then I forget and it always starts the SC beast (turning over a engine AND SC in -30 is a lot of effort). Lowest temp it started at was -34 degrees OMG it was cold. Seat was hard as a rock, sled started... it didn't especially like it but it started! 2 - 2 smokes did not that morning.

A couple years back I installed a pair of Odyssey batteries in a diesel truck of mine. I believe they are the best lead acid batteries available.

Very cool!

I did not know they they made this and will likely go this route when the time comes.

Thanks!

kinger said:
Mine is a drycell mounted on its side:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545.htm

Now that I look it up I see it has a 8-12 year life no wonder it always works LOL. Good deal.

The PC545 is available with a metal jacket (PC545MJ) for high heat areas. I am thinking that the Apex stock mounting location will not require the more expensive MJ.

I found the PC545 on Amazon.com for around $110 with free shipping and I am thinking that this may be the one that I will buy.

Blue Dave said:
My original battery in my '07 Apex still shows good on my Optimate charger and it worked well last season. However I am thinking that after 5 years it may be time to replace it just for peace of mind. I am trying to decide if I should buy the same battery as a replacement or upgrade to whatever may be better that is available today.

What do you guys think about this EarthX lithium battery that was featured in an article in Snow Tech magazine? Has anybody tried one? What other types of batteries are available that would be an upgrade over stock? I am looking for feedback from people who have upgraded to something else with pros & cons, pricing, etc.

I have attached the article from Snow Tech. Sorry for the poor quality. I had a high resolution scan but apparently the file was too large to attach. If you left click on the article you will get a larger image that you can read. The $250 price seems steep but it is supposed to last 4 times as long as a lead acid battery.

$250 seems to be about the running price of a light weight lithium battery these days. but this battery caught my eye a couple months ago, it has a nice high CCA number (the higher the better for our cold climate), built in battery management system, and it only weighs 3lbs. I will be using this battery this year for day trips and races.

The PC545 will be fine in the stock locaton, Blue Dave. There's no where near enough heat under the hood during riding season to harm it in any way.
I've been running the Braille B106 in my sleds, and at 6lbs, it still works as good as a new OEM battery. Two of the ones I have had the test sheet in the box that said they tested a 545 pulse cranking amps.. I've also used two of them to start a car in the shop, just to see if they could do it, and they did.

cmharcou said:
kinger said:
Mine is a drycell mounted on its side:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545.htm

Now that I look it up I see it has a 8-12 year life no wonder it always works LOL. Good deal.

How does the pc545 fit? Are the dimensions the same as a stock yuma battery?

I didn't have great luck with the odyssey battery in my supercharged sled - Had 2 of them fail in under 1 yr(both were warrantied - first one was a challange because I had no bill as it came with a supercharger kit). Just don't buy one thinking they are the be all.....................

Back