• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper ball joint mod

JTSKIR222

Extreme
I have been trying to find this mod but no luck..
This deals with cutting away some of the mounting area for the upper ball joint.
this would make it flat handle better.

has anyone done this> have a link to it?
thanks

Did this to my Ball joints this season on my '07 Phazer. I haven't gotten to ride much this year though as I had my first child born this last December when the snow was good. Then we've had a few warm ups that have made the riding less than desireable down state here in MI. So far though I have put about 200 miles on the sled and found that this mod has worked very good. I did have to realign the skis after this mod. When installed after this mod the tips of the skis will point in at each other and give you very bad handling. I just took my ball joints off and brought them down to a local tool and die shop with the pictures from the topic post and asked if he could put them in the lathe and turn them down for me. He did it in about ten minutes and I was on my way. Just remember to adjust your tie rods to align your skis afterwards.

Congrats on the new baby!!! Mine was on my sled early ;) here is a pic

Attachments

• img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 62
Thanks. Mine is a little small yet to get on a sled. She can't sit up on her own yet, but she's trying. Won't be long, next year though we'll get her on it.

cammyr.jpg

well it drains youre bank account and turns youre hair grey.

oh sorry you ment the ball joint (lol sorry guys i couldnt resist no disrespect ment)

Beautiful kids there guys. Watch out they grow up too fast. I blinked a couple times and mine are already 9 and 10. Enjoy every minute while you can.

Motoman765 said:
Did this to my Ball joints this season on my '07 Phazer. I haven't gotten to ride much this year though as I had my first child born this last December when the snow was good. Then we've had a few warm ups that have made the riding less than desireable down state here in MI. So far though I have put about 200 miles on the sled and found that this mod has worked very good. I did have to realign the skis after this mod. When installed after this mod the tips of the skis will point in at each other and give you very bad handling. I just took my ball joints off and brought them down to a local tool and die shop with the pictures from the topic post and asked if he could put them in the lathe and turn them down for me. He did it in about ten minutes and I was on my way. Just remember to adjust your tie rods to align your skis afterwards.

So it is not really a change in the balljoint as such, just the mount? How much is cut away? Does that cause undo strain/wear in any other area then? And, how was your handling improved?

BTW, cute baby.
Thanks,

Correct the area around the mounting area is cut back 2.5 mm (millimeters). This puts your spindles at a straight perpendicular angle with the ground when the suspension is compressed during turning. Normally the spindle top will pitch out when the suspension is compressed. I noticed this when I loaded my sled into the back of my truck by taking the top shock bolt out and letting the frame sit on the ground even with the skis. basically causing the basic effect of the ski rolling in under the sled in a turn. I'll see if I can draw something up to explain it better when I get home next week. Right now I'm in the Keweenaw Peninsula riding for the week.

PS the kids and bank account draining comment was funny. I laughed.

Motoman765 said:
Correct the area around the mounting area is cut back 2.5 mm (millimeters). This puts your spindles at a straight perpendicular angle with the ground when the suspension is compressed during turning. Normally the spindle top will pitch out when the suspension is compressed. quote]

Thanks, good explanation - I think I got it - makes sense. So it is the spindle on the outside ski that pitches out on a turn, therefore, contributing to body roll and causing the inside ski to lift? And such a small amount cut away makes a difference? BTW, where did this idea originate, from the racing guys? Is it one of the mods that Yamaha made to the Nytro frontend this year?

Good to see you still have time to check on your TY friends while you are away enjoying the snow! Look forward to hearing how you like it after your ride this week.

Motoman765 said:
Thanks. Mine is a little small yet to get on a sled. She can't sit up on her own yet, but she's trying. Won't be long, next year though we'll get her on it.

cammyr.jpg

Congrats dude. I been a little busy. Have to meet up and go ride the U.P. before year end?

Hey put 500+ miles on the sled this last week riding around the Keweenaw Peninsula and it does work good. A lot less ski lift and body roll (not entirely gone though). Put it this way, I'm not putting it back. Bomba I think you got the idea and I do believe that this is something they did do with the new Nytro as you said. That's were I originally saw this mod.

PS Steve too bad you couldn't have made it over to the U.P. this last week. I was up there all week. I just got home tonight to get ready to go back to work this week. I want to make one more trip up to the U.P. this year before the season ends. I was thinking about the Munising area for the next trip. Haven't hit that area this year yet. Let me know if you have any plans coming up to ride this year yet.

Back