• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector engine noise

Vector88

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2005 rs vector 159
hey guys
Finally got out for a good ride yesterday with the wife. I was on the vector she was on the bearcat turbo. Went for a 50 km ride. We were almost back home and I smelt oil coming from the sled do I shut it down and oil was everywhere. Leaking from the belly pan . No lights or warning came in the speedo to warn me. I return line from the oil cooler cracked open causing a huge oil leak. Anyways I towed it home with the bearcat. Repaired the oil line and topped it up with oil. Ran it at idle every sounded good until I rev it up about to 4000 then I rattle sound comes from the motor which I haven't heard before. It starts and runs nice at idle like nothing's wrong. Sled took about 2 1/2 quarts when I filled it up. Has anyone ever heard this noise? I think I may be tearing it down for s rebuild but would like to know some checks I can do before I pull the engine out to diagnose the problem. I uploaded a video to YouTube to hear the noise in talking about. Take note to my clutch being do rattlely but listen when I rev it up to 4000rpm. Thanks here is the link to the video.

Yeah I'm going to tear it down hopefully next week so see what the damage is. Just didn't know if anyone on here has the same problem

Being 2 1/2 quarts low would not make me feel. warm & fuzzy inside, that's for sure..MM.

Yup for sure! Almost got it pretty much scraped down to the engine now i should have it out tmr. I'm just hoping I don't have as much damage as I think I have lol I'm just thinking it maybe a connecting rod wrist pin seized or rod bearing.

hey guys
Finally got out for a good ride yesterday with the wife. I was on the vector she was on the bearcat turbo. Went for a 50 km ride. We were almost back home and I smelt oil coming from the sled do I shut it down and oil was everywhere. Leaking from the belly pan . No lights or warning came in the speedo to warn me. I return line from the oil cooler cracked open causing a huge oil leak. Anyways I towed it home with the bearcat. Repaired the oil line and topped it up with oil. Ran it at idle every sounded good until I rev it up about to 4000 then I rattle sound comes from the motor which I haven't heard before. It starts and runs nice at idle like nothing's wrong. Sled took about 2 1/2 quarts when I filled it up. Has anyone ever heard this noise? I think I may be tearing it down for s rebuild but would like to know some checks I can do before I pull the engine out to diagnose the problem. I uploaded a video to YouTube to hear the noise in talking about. Take note to my clutch being do rattlely but listen when I rev it up to 4000rpm. Thanks here is the link to the video.

Take oil filter off and cut it open and see if there is any metal in it,Did the low oil pressure lite come on?

Rod bearings are normally the first to go when ran low on oil. From the clip it sounds louder when brought of idle which is another indication of a damaged rod bearing. I wouldn't recommend running it again until repaired.

No warning light what so ever. Like grizztracks said rod bearings are usually first to go and I'm thinking that too because of the copper coloured fillings I have in my oil pan cover under the oil pump. It also got a little gummy up on the camshafts but with some cleaning it should be fine. Hopefully I get I chance to get it down to the crank tomorrow if the wife doesn't get too mad at me for picking at it over the holidays haha! Hopefully the crank isn't damaged! So far cylinders Pistons and head is all good. Another thing I've noticed is that there are 5 or 6 different types of crank and rod bearings. Does anyone know which bearings come in that engine stock? Also are there any markings on the inside of the bearing to identify the part number? Thanks guys have a good one!

I haven't replaced crank bearings in one of these engines yet but I rebuilt a Toyota engine recently which also had several replacement bearings listed. From what i was told the bearings are selected to tighten up tolerances and the only way to determine which ones are needed for a specific engine is to tear it down. The Yamaha bearings are color coded so hopefully with them out you'll still be able to identify them.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Pics above identifys the culprit to my problem haha middle connecting rod bearing. There's some scoring on the crank where the beating went do I'm hoping it ain't too bad

That's what I'm thinking but I'm not sure where to send it haha I'll have to check with the Yamaha dealer to see if they can take care of it

Back