• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper for bush sled

tipper

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
vk pro
Hey all, currently have a tundra 600ace for pulling gear into my remote camp in BC. I'm looking for more power and better front suspension though.
Would a viper 153 be a decent sled with a hitch and cargo rack? Do they come with a rad fan? A fan is a must for the sometimes slow trail chainsaw cutting and idling.

Not well suited in my opinion. I don't have one and have never seen one in the bush, likely for good reason. Not the least of which is snow ingestion past the steering boots that results in a "No-Turn Condition". Also notorious for starting issues which is a no go in the bush. The 600 ACE doesn't have any extra power in your application but the 900 is fine. If you want to lose the pogos go with an Expedition. Just remember no sled does everything and a guy can make a move to overcome the current sleds weaknesses only to be saddled by the new sleds issues which were unknown to him. Last thought, one thing about a Yamaha is that the chainsaw noise won't bother you if you leave the sled running. Our clutches sound like rocks being tumbled in a cement mixer.

I'm not bashing Yamaha, just being honest. I own two and enjoy them both.

Not well suited in my opinion. I don't have one and have never seen one in the bush, likely for good reason. Not the least of which is snow ingestion past the steering boots that results in a "No-Turn Condition". Also notorious for starting issues which is a no go in the bush. The 600 ACE doesn't have any extra power in your application but the 900 is fine. If you want to lose the pogos go with an Expedition. Just remember no sled does everything and a guy can make a move to overcome the current sleds weaknesses only to be saddled by the new sleds issues which were unknown to him. Last thought, one thing about a Yamaha is that the chainsaw noise won't bother you if you leave the sled running. Our clutches sound like rocks being tumbled in a cement mixer.

I'm not bashing Yamaha, just being honest. I own two and enjoy them both.
Hey thanks for the reply YukonMP. I was kinda wondering the same thing why I've never seen one in the bush before. Would love an expedition but nobody ever sells them so tough find. I also have a venture lite that i'm thinking of putting a 2" track on.

I have a friend who is a very capable rider and he could keep up with anybody in the bush on his MP(near Venture Light). Three things I'd recommend are wide skins if you don't have the VK style skis that were on the MPs up 2013. And a left hand throttle and grab bar.

It all depends on how much snow you have to deal with. Years back a couple members did some serious mods. One was 'Karl' ... geared down, track swapped and lengthened and much more. Another is 'Stan Zuray' who builds the stock skis out to ridiculous width. You can search on this site and Stan is on YouTube.

Where is YellowKnife when you need him. He would fill your ear with reasons not to buy a Viper as a bush sled. His Youtube channel is "off air" at the moment. But there is some gold to be watched out there if you had the time.

Good luck!

I have a friend who is a very capable rider and he could keep up with anybody in the bush on his MP(near Venture Light). Three things I'd recommend are wide skins if you don't have the VK style skis that were on the MPs up 2013. And a left hand throttle and grab bar.

It all depends on how much snow you have to deal with. Years back a couple members did some serious mods. One was 'Karl' ... geared down, track swapped and lengthened and much more. Another is 'Stan Zuray' who builds the stock skis out to ridiculous width. You can search on this site and Stan is on YouTube.
I put on some I think 9"? slydog powder skis last month. They weren't cheap especially getting them shipped to bc but they work pretty damn good.
I'll have to search for these guys and see what they have done to these things. I got the lite mostly for my 70 something year old father because of the touring style machine that it is. Thanks again for the help!

Where is YellowKnife when you need him. He would fill your ear with reasons not to buy a Viper as a bush sled. His Youtube channel is "off air" at the moment. But there is some gold to be watched out there if you had the time.

Good luck!
Are the vipers that bad as a bush sled lol? Guess i'll just keep the old 154 Tundra for now.

I think they would have plenty of grunt for working and the engines last forever. Yellowknife just had problems starting his in really cold weather. If you could come up with a solution for that I don't think it would that bad. Even if someone could find a place to put the battery that wasn't 4 feet away that would probably help. They do have a fan and a radiator.

I Watched Andy's Youtube vids on using his new Viper in YellowKnife, his Vids prove the Viper/Yamacats are nothing but junk PERIOD!!, not suited for the colder climate or breaking trails or running a trap line what's so ever, you would probably freeze to death in YellowKnife in the bush counting on a Viper to get you home, stay with pure Yamaha a VK or Venture lite, MP, or like was mentioned a 900 ace expedition for abit more power if you can get one, or just keep what you got they are pretty reliable just a bit under powered some times, but great on fuel.

Thanks guys for the helpful replies. I wish I could find these you tube vids I've been hearing about?
The viper is such a cool looking machine and hearing that it has a rad fan kind of makes me a little more interested but with everyones advice I'll stay away lol

Good luck!
Yes, I looked to see if Allen was still around but you are right.

Thanks guys for the helpful replies. I wish I could find these you tube vids I've been hearing about?
The viper is such a cool looking machine and hearing that it has a rad fan kind of makes me a little more interested but with everyones advice I'll stay away lol
Yeah, he pulled all his Vids, they were great, always had great adventures and he always did great reviews on sleds with the kms to back it, always showed the problems he had with his new sleds, his new Viper was unbelievable plagued with troubles from day one, when he switched to a Ski-Doo backcountry with the Etec 600 and stop using his Viper he couldn't have been happier, really happy when he sold it, he put 16000kms on his backcountry before the 600 gave out, he did alot of towing with that sled.

Darn, I subscribed to his YK channel and enjoyed his videos alot. I always wanted a Viper since they came out out in 2014. Figured I give it a few years for the bugs to be worked out but they just couldn't get their $hit together. Anyone interested should start by reading the 41 page sticky on the flash fiasco. I suspect starting in about 2019 they might be OK now but since the model's reputation is already completely trashed I don't want to get stuck with one.

Yeah its to bad, Allen put alot of work and effort into his Vids, The newer Vipers with the new body work are nice looking sleds but Cat/Yamaha just ignored the obvious issues from day one and still do today, if they would have addressed these issues it would be a great reliable trail sled.

Are the vipers that bad as a bush sled lol? Guess i'll just keep the old 154 Tundra for now.
Hey. I have a 16 Viper mtx. Live in BC too near 100 Mile and use mine half the time in the bush... The Viper goes anywhere.. But the center of gravity is a bit high, so you really have to be on top of it when breaking trail...
I generally break trail in many feet of snow, in the trees... Then haul a sled behind after trail is broke.... I put the soft start spring in primary and love it.... Clutch engages at 2400 rpm that allows me to just creep along through the trees...
What part of BC are you?

Back