• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Hood Interfearance

4StrokeAddict

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 SR Viper LTX SE
Does anyone know why I can't get the hood to lock in the two grooves by the gas tank? This is annoying the crap out of me ever since it came back from the dealer with the turbo. In front on the vertical black section, the top is kicked out and there seems to be something pushing up on the hood. I just can't figure out what. It snapped loose on the trail twice. I took everything apart, felt around, couldn't find anything so got forceful with it to get it back together. It will eventually pop again.....

My hood does the same thing, right side seems to stay latched in the groove but the left side keeps coming out. I've tried keeping tension on it while tightening the torx screw that retains it to the lower cowling but nothing seems to be able to get it to grab properly and stay latched. Anyone else have an idea?

Keyhole slot so you guys need to get whole hood pushed back further.
I've tried pushing back on the hood and pulling for ward on the cowling at the same time using a 3rd hand to tighten the screw and still have challenges getting it to stay put. I'm starting to wonder if the groove is too wide and the "key" is just pulling out.

Double check this area where I am pointing with the pencil. If the colored part of your hood is on top of the black plastic it causes the back to pop out because the hood doesn't slide back all the way. If the hood is on correctly the colored plastic on your hood should be below the black plastic like in the picture.

20160119_172426.jpg

With a turbo there are a few areas of concern that could cause this. Firstly there are relief holes that have to be cut in the black part under the hood to properly clear the intake air box. Secondly the rad filler neck has to be positioned just right or the hood will not fit correctly and lastly the air filter has to be positioned right or it will interfere with hood fit.

I found this happened on my Viper when I do not get the hood electrical cable routed right. If not routed it gets between the hood and body and holds it just out enough to be a problem. At any rate it fixed my issue

Make sure the hood is not being held forward with the rad gaurd. As Yamaguys states the hood is on top of plastic. Usually siting to far forward.

Take the side panels off and use a flash light to see if you air plenum or intercooler is touching the hood in the area where it was trimmed, it should not be touching and you want a minimum of 3/16 inch gap. Another overlooked area is the aluminum 90 that's on top of the air/oil separator box could be holding your hood up. If its touching just put a zip tie on that 90 and pull it over towards the frame to give more hood clearance.

Last edited:
I'll have to take a closer look, but I don't remember seeing any trimming in my hood. Is this for the MPI Turbo? Where is it suppose to be trimmed?

Yes, my left side seems to have a harder time staying in place. I never had a problem with the front being pushed forward until after the turbo. I tend to think it's the radiator hose, but cant prove it as that is completely invisible with the hood in place.

My hood hits on my intercooler and doesnt sit down far enough in the back to catch those slots i just push it back good and put the screws in and go.

Back