• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper to Winder

HUS457

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper S-TX-DX - Traded
2023 Sidewinder LTX-GT
Hey everyone, I'm getting sick of my viper hard starts. Might be time to move on. So thinking about moving to a Sidewinder. But before I do that I have to know; Do the Sidewinders have the same mapping issues that's plagued the Vipers? I don't see much in the chats about Sidewinder hard starts so I'm thinking no? If not, why is this? I know the Viper ECU mapping is a Cat/Yamaha thing, mostly Cat on the mapping I believe. I think I read recently that Sidewinder is a Yamaha/Mitsubishi product? Is that accurate? if so was it always like that?

Tx

Eoin

Last edited:

No hard starts.
Check alignment from factory and adjust if necessary, belt life will be excellent.

I thought I seen fixes for hard starting Vipers?!?!
I think on YouTube.

Good Question!
Also hearing sidewinders are going thru belts quickly?
Any truth to eating belts???
In 2017 yes lots.. The offset WAS a issue. Rollers flat spotting WAS a issue.. Primary rollers WERE a issue.. Many getting 2k out of belts tuned 270+.. Probably some stockers getting even more miles. If guys are blowing belts they just are not setting clutches up correctly.. Big issue is also when you blow a belt it moves the stub shaft and then the belt blowing continues as the offset is way out

I thought I seen fixes for hard starting Vipers?!?!
I think on YouTube.
All mostly BS IMO.. Yamaha comes with a new flash and its nothing more then a band aid. They know what it is.. Some really good dealers do also. I had a 2015 viper(cat 7000) and rode with someone who had a 2017 for thousands of miles.. The COLD hard starting was always a issue >adjusting the valves helps, but otherwise it was helpless.. Very unlike Yamaha as far as run/start/quality..

The SW has a Mitsubishi ECU. Watched a number of Vipers and 7000's and they never seemed to get it right. The SW was much more refined when it came out. Shocks were better calibrated, ECU behaved as it should. Sure there are lots of things to look out for in the chassis but they are all well documented. Spent some time with my sled when I got it and it has produced some good reliable miles.
MS

The 7000 and Viper have a ECU tuned by Cat for whatever reason. Its never been as good or even close to the ECU tuned by Yamaha, not sure why Yamaha didn't give them the proper calibrations to fix it....

The Winder has a Yamaha tuned ECU in it thankfully.

Thanks for the help fellas. Good info here. I thought the belt issues were limited to the 17's but wasn't sure on the reason. Good to hear on the mapping.

All mostly BS IMO.. Yamaha comes with a new flash and its nothing more then a band aid. They know what it is.. Some really good dealers do also. I had a 2015 viper(cat 7000) and rode with someone who had a 2017 for thousands of miles.. The COLD hard starting was always a issue >adjusting the valves helps, but otherwise it was helpless.. Very unlike Yamaha as far as run/start/quality..
So outside of that is there anything that can be done to the viper, I'm kinda surprised the big three tuners have not offered and updated flash for the 1049. Even pefi has a ctec 2 tune for the 8000 as does speedwerx.

I've been thinking about a viper/7000 for the wife though.

So outside of that is there anything that can be done to the viper, I'm kinda surprised the big three tuners have not offered and updated flash for the 1049. Even pefi has a ctec 2 tune for the 8000 as does speedwerx.

I've been thinking about a viper/7000 for the wife though.
Nope. Valve check and adjust. That’s the ONLY thing I seen make it better. Not totally cure it.

Back