• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Well, it's time to stretch my 06 RS-Nytro

Bradford

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
06 RS Nytro
I've decided to keep my 06 Nytro for a few more years. It's due for a track and the Pilots are just about beat so it's a great time to do an update (summer time project!). I'm thinking of stretching it and adding powder skis to make it a bit more off-trailable but I still want it to be a decent trail sled. I had the skid shocks revalved and almost never bottom out with the springs set on medium so I think I have lots of adjustability to handle the longer skid. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Stretch to 136. Possibly OFT with kicked up rails (the one for an apex rtx). I think 144 would be over-kill for this sled

- 136 Cobra or maybe an IceRipper with something deeper than 1 1/4 lugs

- Powder Pro skis

Thoughts?

144 works the same as 136 been there done it. I'd look at the 1.5 cossover track Too

I have a ton of experience with the stretch of this sled. I have 8000 miles on mine. I'm running a 136" with the Cobra track and SLP Powder Pro skis.

We also have tunnel extension and rail extensions kits available for the mod you are considering. Check out our website for details, or do a search here on TY. You will find many have been very pleased with our products, and our reputation is great. We've been a sponsor of TY since 2006.

Stretched 06 Vector

My 06 Vector is similar to what you are doing.

I stretched the sled with a Muffinworks tunnel extension and TracksUSA rails extensions and put on a 136 Predator with 1.25" lugs. I also geared my sled down (similar to your current gearing). Simmons skis were installed in the front.

The sled is much more trailable in the stretched configuration than the 121. The length and ski change took the darting away.

It took some work to get the hyfax wear balanced. I used some additional wheels and idler offset kits from Pioneer and Fix to solve that.

You may need to work on your clutching. I have an Ulmer kit and worked with Allen Ulmer on the helix/backshift. Then I altered the weights to get the RPMs where I wanted them.

Muffinworks did not have rail extensions when I stretched my sled so I cannot comment on them. Their tunnel extension was great.

I recommend straight rail extensions over the tipped up. 136 is not that long and steers fine, and the track can catch the back of the stock tunnel in extreme cases. Tipped up rails would make this worse.

My most recent change is I swapped in a M-10 suspension. I have a Seat Jack for occasional use with my daughter. The M-10 is quick and easy to setup for the heavier weight. My feeling on the mono is it is difficult to adjust the spring on the trail.

I hope this helps. Post or PM me if I can help more.

Bgs

I stretched my Nytro this summer and it turned out really well. I went 136 (Camo 1.25 Pred.) Tracks USA Ext. for rails and Hartman Tunnel Ext. I am currently working on spring rates for the stretched ck skid, but it is great as a 136 set up. I went with Yam. mountain skis and enjoy the added width up front.

Great info guys! Really appreciate it, I'll feel like I have a new sled for next year

Looks like I'll go with a straight 136 and most likely go with a Cobra track. Too many opinions out there to decide on ski's right now.

I was looking at risers on the Muffinworks site and am thinking of adding something like that as well. My current setup is 1.5" up and 1.5" ahead of stock. I'm thinking of going 4" or 6" high. Any comments? How far can I go before I have to start replacing cables?

Brad

I'd go for the 136" tip up rail extensions and to a 4" setback for a final length of 144" You have an awesome crossover then.

If you want to go this route, I should have a custom inside tunnel reinforcement/mount plate that will have all the holes necessary for a 4" setback of the stock skid as well as an assortment of locations for a ZX-2 skid.

Bradford said:
Great info guys! Really appreciate it, I'll feel like I have a new sled for next year

Looks like I'll go with a straight 136 and most likely go with a Cobra track. Too many opinions out there to decide on ski's right now.

Brad

Hey Brad,

I'm gonna suggest you get a few more opinions on the straight vs tipped up rails. We've had 150+ installs this year of either 121-136 or 121-144 kits and have never heard of an issue with the track contacting the tunnel.

The added trail-ability of the tipped up rails makes a pretty big difference in my opinion.

Also, there is a new generation of skis that will be released fairly soon and we will be testing these skis the remainder of the season. My first shake down will be this weekend. It looks very promising and I will let you all know my impressions after I ride with it myself.

You have time on your side. Ask a lot of questions and make a well informed decision.

scmurs

Well, I noticed that one of my rails is starting to crack so I'm looking for more options to stretch this skid to a 136. Is there any such thing as replacement 136" rails for the Proaction CK?

Brad

Back