• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are the best shocks for winder?

I get what your asking! I also have a 17 LTX SE and just ordered a 20 LTX SE. I know most will laugh but IMO the upgrade is TOTALLY dependent on your trails and your riding style. Most will say the shocks on the SE are not capable. I beg to differ and say the SE shock package is very underrated. In MY SITUATION and where I ride and when I ride the upgrade is not even crossed my mind. I ride early mornings and usually never after dark. The trails I ride are glass until around 3 pm or so. Well by 3 pm I’m having a Pilsner at the cabin parked for night with 150 miles on sled. I will take the SE shocks all day. I have cannon dale rebuild every season and RIDE. I honestly have no desire to play with knobs( no pun intended) and or settings on the trail. I set my springs/ shocks up for my weight and style and ride it. Don’t look past the SE shocks. They are very good if set properly and rebuilt/maintained! Are they really bad if I ordered another SE? All right you guys can laugh and beat me up over my SE shocks now!

I agree with ya somewhat but if your riding far from home and are coming back on rough trails it’s nice to be able to adjust for the ride back.

I agree with ya somewhat but if your riding far from home and are coming back on rough trails it’s nice to be able to adjust for the ride back.
No doubt! For sure you can pound through the bigger stuff later in the day better with the upgraded shocks.

Maybe I just like orange colored sleds? Lol

Hate to Hijack this thread but the greatest Orange sleds were Moto Skis...until Ski Doo bought them out to eliminate the competition
Bring Back the Moto Ski
LOL..I couldn't resist:)

bullet.png
bullet2.png

I get what your asking! I also have a 17 LTX SE and just ordered a 20 LTX SE. I know most will laugh but IMO the upgrade is TOTALLY dependent on your trails and your riding style. Most will say the shocks on the SE are not capable. I beg to differ and say the SE shock package is very underrated. In MY SITUATION and where I ride and when I ride the upgrade is not even crossed my mind. I ride early mornings and usually never after dark. The trails I ride are glass until around 3 pm or so. Well by 3 pm I’m having a Pilsner at the cabin parked for night with 150 miles on sled. I will take the SE shocks all day. I have cannon dale rebuild every season and RIDE. I honestly have no desire to play with knobs( no pun intended) and or settings on the trail. I set my springs/ shocks up for my weight and style and ride it. Don’t look past the SE shocks. They are very good if set properly and rebuilt/maintained! Are they really bad if I ordered another SE? All right you guys can laugh and beat me up over my SE shocks now!

I have an SE as well. In all honesty, I'm perfectly happy with the front suspension.

I haven't found a sweet spot for the rear yet. It's too stiff on the small stuff, but not stiff enough for the big stuff. I'm going to have them revalved. For $200, it is worth a shot.

Maybe I just like orange colored sleds? Lol

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but since we're talking about shocks and orange sleds let me know what you think about this sled......

_W7L5710.jpg
_H0N6111.jpg
_H0N6109.jpg
_H0N6223.jpg
_W7L5681.jpg
_H0N6112.jpg

Back in the day I built this 2-smoke Viper with some custom long travel Ohlin's shocks/Ti springs on the front and an Expert X 136" skid with some fully adjustable KYB's with remote resi's with help from HyGear Suspensions. It also had a 780 big bore with SLP triples.

If you've ever regretted selling a sled, this would be the one that I really regret. It rode and handled awesome along with a light weight feel and a sound that only a triple/triple can give.

I wish Yamaha would give us something with these attributes once again. V-room-V-room!

Last edited:
I have an SE as well. In all honesty, I'm perfectly happy with the front suspension.

I haven't found a sweet spot for the rear yet. It's too stiff on the small stuff, but not stiff enough for the big stuff. I'm going to have them revalved. For $200, it is worth a shot.
You running the stock shock spring on the front suspension shock? Talking the front under the limiter straps.

Most of the SE's rear end issues is the rebound dampening is very heavy which needs to be free'd up. Changes to the compression side is required as well. The next step is the piston. They aren't bad shocks really they just need some tlc. Remind me of the late 90's shocks which had a stack of silver dollars for shims on both sides. Most guys just figured that was normal the way they rode like a brick.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but since we're talking about shocks and orange sleds let me know what you think about this sled......

Back in the day I built this 2-smoke Viper with some custom long travel Ohlin's shocks/Ti springs on the front and an Expert X 136" skid with some fully adjustable KYB's with remote resi's with help from HyGear Suspensions. It also had a 780 big bore with SLP triples.

If you've ever regretted selling a sled, this would be the one that I really regret. It rode and handled awesome along with a light weight feel and a sound that only a triple/triple can give.

I wish Yamaha would give us something like this once again. V-room-V-room!

View attachment 148177 View attachment 148178 View attachment 148179 View attachment 148182

Dam bro that’s a badass hyjack!!!!

I totally agree that the standard shocks provide a very good ride, but I also know that it is possible to improve on them. I also have a cabin in snowmobile country, and I prefer to be back by 3:00 with 150+ miles under my track, but I can't always get my buddies up that early. The best days are when we have 50-75 miles on our way to breakfast! I got the upgraded shocks because I have had some long days, or days when the groomer was broken down. Rough trails and other varying conditions are a fact of life, and at my age, I prefer to keep the beatings to a minimum.

Back