• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are the best skis?

I am running the sly dog race ski with 9 inch shaper bars nice ski's but I think with the deeper keel you may lose a little speed on top in deep snow, or fresh groomed trail.

I just ordered a set of Camoplast 7" skis. A friend of mine has them on his doo and loves them. He said if I didn't like them he would buy them. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Alatalo said:
I do not know your definition of "all groomed trails", but I can give you some feedback from my type of riding - rough trails with quite soft surfaces.
I have tried CA ADX and CA XT, both of them with StudBoy Shaper Bars 6x60. Both of them offer much better steering response and pure steering traction compared to the OEM ski. Both of them also offer a little bit more steering effort, though not too much in my opinion. The XT offers better off-trail flotation but also tends to be a bit nervous on hard pack trails. Because of this I would say that the CA ADX is a good pick.
I quote myself because I have got additional information on this topic.

I have been testing a pair of SLP Powder Pros from a Lynx RS600 snocross sled. This is exactly the same ski as the aftermarket ski but with Lynx OEM carbides. I have done around 600 kilometers so far and the result is very interesting. I would say that the steering response and steering traction is similar to the CA ADX but not as sharp as the CA XT. The steering effort is more or less the same as the Yamaha OEM ski. No stability issues at all.

I will continue to use the SLP PP for couple of more days and then do a proper back-to-back test against both pairs of CA skis.

I run mostly rough and groomed trails, but when venturing into pwder with the standard skis well basically they suck #$%&* How about slydog powder hounds or would these be to overkill for occasional powder excersions? Just thought the extra width would help? I am in work now how wide are the standard skis BTW?

The yamaha standard ski is 5.5" I think. I've been thinking about getting the yamaha mountain skis. Any pros or cons?

towerrigger said:
The yamaha standard ski is 5.5" I think. I've been thinking about getting the yamaha mountain skis. Any pros or cons?
Heavy steering, but otherwise i think they work great.

I've ran USI X2 Triple Threat skis with 9" Stud Boy Shaper Bars on my 144" Rev for the last 2 years. They are the most tuneable ski I have ever used, period. I have had C&A Ultras, Doo Pilots, Doo Precisions, Sly Dogs and SLPs all on the same sled and found nothing works better on and off trail than the USIs. I will be using these same skis on my new XTX, I don't think that there is a better all around ski. ;)!

Easy Rider said:
I've ran USI X2 Triple Threat skis with 9" Stud Boy Shaper Bars on my 144" Rev for the last 2 years. They are the most tuneable ski I have ever used, period. I have had C&A Ultras, Doo Pilots, Doo Precisions, Sly Dogs and SLPs all on the same sled and found nothing works better on and off trail than the USIs. I will be using these same skis on my new XTX, I don't think that there is a better all around ski. ;)!

So you haven't tried Curves or Simmons?

rfabro said:
Easy Rider said:

So you haven't tried Curves or Simmons?

Had Simmons on a SRX years ago, worked OK until Doo came out with precisions and then they darted all over the place on trail with all the doos running dual runners. Curves look interesting, don't know anyone who has them or would have given them a try as well. There is a bunch of us that swapped skis back and forth to do comparisons on our different sleds, I just found the USIs to work the best for all round applications, on/off trail. Half the guys I ride with dumped their stock and aftermarket skis and bought USI X2s. I've got a couple sets of used C&As if anyone wants to buy them?

Attachments

• IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 97
I really liked the C&A Razors on mine. They seemed to handle good. They floated alot better then the stock skis. They were even good on water crossings. I'm sure they would be even better with a tight ball joints and the camber mod.

towerrigger said:

will sell you mine, they are take offs...and red and black...used all of 40 miles...

Has anyone tried the Yamaha Tuner ski? Wondering about these for my MTX. Typical off trail prairie riding as well as using it as a hound hunting rig when we are looking for cats in the bush. Standard yamaha mountain ski is super heavy to steer while on hard packed trails.

Back