• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What BRAND of Coolant?

big guy

Extreme
Been searching all night and found lots of info on bleeding. But very little on brands of coolant. I know the book says high quality eg /no silicate. What brand did you use? I have super tech all makes ,all models formula and G0-5 at home. I was really curious if the G0-5 would work? If the system is flushed will either be ok? Maybe get the Prestone brand? Or drive 1.5 hrs to get yamaha stuff.
Thanks for any input

i run 50/50 prestone with a bottle of water wetter, have been since 08 when i punched the heat exchanger, works great for me, any high quality antifreeze thats compatible with aluminum will work fine. i check my ph yearly to make sure it's still ok

big guy said:
Prestone it is!
Thanks.

Does Prestone still make the regular life green stuff anymore?
I have looked at various jobber type stores and all I can ever find is the newer long life Pink Prestone, and most of the time it is pre-mixed already.

I do not want to add that as the sled, and my XLT both came with the regular Green Prestone.

Irv said:
big guy said:
Prestone it is!
Thanks.

I have looked at various jobber type stores and all I can ever find is the newer long life Pink Prestone, and most of the time it is pre-mixed already.

I do not want to add that as the sled, and my XLT both came with the regular Green Prestone.

Yes autozone has it

Irv said:
big guy said:
Prestone it is!
Thanks.

I have not seen regular green Prestone in Canada. The Prestone Long Life I bought is yellow/green. To prevent any possible compatiblity problems. I flushed the cooling system out 3 times with dionized water before putting the new coolant in. Also I noticed that the Super Tech stuff I bought in the States. Lists the exact same ingredients as the Prestone with the same advertised life expectancy. For what it's worth.
Can't wait to hit the trails!!!!

big guy said:
Irv said:
big guy said:
Prestone it is!
Thanks.

I have not seen regular green Prestone in Canada. The Prestone Long Life I bought is yellow/green. To prevent any possible compatiblity problems. I flushed the cooling system out 3 times with dionized water before putting the new coolant in. Also I noticed that the Super Tech stuff I bought in the States. Lists the exact same ingredients as the Prestone with the same advertised life expectancy. For what it's worth.
Can't wait to hit the trails!!!!
Make sure it stats "all makes,all models".This means that its safe in import engines(japanese manufactuers require this to prevent seal damage in there water pumps).

big guy said:
Yep both Prestone and the ST state "all makes all models"

Interesting, never though they'd recommend mixing the 2 together?

I think I will skip replacing it this year as it is still showing good on the checker but will more than likely replace it next year?

Thanks for the help. ;)!

Before changing out the coolant do an aciddity test. No need to change out the coolant if the ph levels are good. Local auto parts store or a good automotive repair shop should have the kits to do this.

X2 on the silicate free. Some automotive coolants are not and they will damage the seals on your water pump.

I run the Yamacool for that reason. I would also add some Water Wetter for good measure.

Blue Dave said:
X2 on the silicate free. Some automotive coolants are not and they will damage the seals on your water pump.

I run the Yamacool for that reason. I would also add some Water Wetter for good measure.

Good to know on the Silicate free fluid, that is something I may have over looked ;)!

Back