• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What happeded to my top speed ?

DGZRT

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Vector shorty, 17 Shitdoo 1200X, 2000- pullmyass-340 for Grandkids
I have a 2009 vector ltx. Last year it ran perfect. This year I added kimpex Arrow skis , new plugs, new belt , can of sea foam , and changed all fluids. The sled just does't have the getup and go in the mid range or top end it did last year.

Looking for some ideas on what to check. Do you think the dual runner Skis with 6" Shaper bars are slowing me down? new belt? Should i clean and sync the carbs? Last night it would only hit 7800/8000 on the tach.

Thanks Dan

Are you running a Yamaha belt? Your RPM's are down so your ski's are probably not the main issue.

Yes new Yamaha belt. It does squeak some at low rpm's do I need to adjust something? I'm leaning towards the carb's aren't clean. this might be my lack of rpms. I went from seeing 108 on the dreamo meter to 94 max. This doesn't bother me as much as the lack of mid-range.'

Did you also do a track adjustment??? If you still have the stock skis try putting them back on for a quick speed run. When I put dooly's on my sled it slowed it down. MM

I would clean both the main and pilot jets and sync your carbs. Mine ran exactly like yours when one of my carb slide bellows had a tear in it and it wouldn't open properly. I doubt that is your problem, but the bellows can fatigue a bit and that is why the carbs need to be synced. When you have your airbox off push all 3 slides up at the same time and make sure they don't instantly return to their extended position when you release them. If you do have a bad bellow it will return very quickly (but like I said I doubt that is your problem but since you're probably going to be cleaning your carbs you might as well do it).

Well I sold my stock ski's so I can't switch them out. I did a quick calculation on mileage and down to 14.8 mpg. last year i hit 21 on one run and avg over 18mpg. this leads me back to the carbs again. I thinking 8500 should be the correct rpm. can someone dbl check me?

Thanks again

gcr3903 said:
Carbs X2. Disassemble and clean,clean, clean. :o|
I tried to do a search on cleaning Carbs not much luck. Does some one have a link with step by step instructions for the newer RS sleds ?

You need to pull the airbox off and then loosen the clamps on the carb intake boots. Then you can remove the carbs and tilt the bottom up so you can access the 4 screws on the bottom of the float bowls. Remove the screws and float bowls and then you will see the pilot and main jets. They can be removed with a standard screwdriver. I soak my jets in carb cleaner for a few hours and then blow them out and make sure they're not restricted. The float screws are soft aluminum phillips head, be careful not to strip them. A few of mine were on too tight for the screwdriver so I used a small pair of vice grips to grip the screw head and get it started.

Thanks Metallicat for the info. I noticed you had the carb springs and clutch kit. Did it make a big difference in your sled?

The clutch kit made a big difference in accelaration and performance. I noticed no difference in throttle response with the carb springs.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need a Ulmer clutch kit.

Back