• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What is the best method for removing tunnel protectors?

I got mine out the other day. It was a little more involved then I was expecting, but thats fine. You dont have to take off the tail light to do this, i just have it off for when i polish my tunnel.

After removing seat, i drilled out these rivets
start from the back and go to the front.
DSC07836-1.jpg

DSC07835-1.jpg

left side
DSC07834-1.jpg

I had to take exhaust out to do the front ones. After taking that out i drilled the blue arrow out. Then I drilled the 2 red arrows.
DSC07830-2.jpg

After drilling out the back 2 rivets in the heat shield, I was able to bend it up far enough to use my air chisle to knock off the heads of the last 2 rivets. (you might be able to drill the holes out on the right side without lifting the shield up.)
DSC07833-1.jpg

Not sure if this will help or not but, if you don't want to dismantle your entire sled to reach the front rivets, just remove the rest by drilling or grinding. Then use a cresent wrench (for leverage) and twist the protectors and the front rivets will break off.

Back