• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What will you replace the Chaincase lube with??

I run fully synthetic Mobil 1 75w90.

A few years ago I researched this and came upon some SAE test results and GM test results. What these tests showed was motor oil, gear oil, and ATF all worked well in chain drives, but there were some advantages to some.

With the older silent chains ATF worked well, but gear oil worked a fair bit better under high loading (a snowmobile chain is highly loaded).

With a Hyvo chain, there was almost no difference in wear rate between ATF or gear oil (I think motor oil was very similar also). When run close to the failure limit, gear oil once again was better. At very light loads, ATF was better (I think this was due to efficiency, not wear).

GM concluded from the tests to run ATF in their chain drive and used that for all of their earlier front wheel drive automatic transmissions. Note these tests were back in the late 1960's/early 1970's and GM chose to run a Hyvo chain after the tests.

Again, I would stick with Yamha's recommended 75w or 80w (GL-3 or better) as our chains are worked hard.

Anyone use merCruiser Marine lowerunit oil called HighPerformance gear lube? I think it is 80-90 synthethic oil. Is it too thick? Poor cold weather performance??

MOBIL 1 15W/50 SYN.,for me lite enuf in ext. cold, heavy enuf in any condition. Never had bearing or chain problems, heavy lubes rob HP thats all, you are only lubing a chain. Many only use syn. atf, if its good enuf in your truck for 100,000 it will do all you need for one seasons riding. :Rockon:

Some how this got brought forward. I have now switched, no mobile 1 available, so got some 75-90 marine gear lube from am soil, came in a quart, will last a long time at 8oz. A time.

So far so good. Cheap per volume, should be a good choice as you can see there are many choices

i use castrol syntec gear lube, have been for 13000km no issues at all, pretty much zippo for slack on the chain.
i figure with these magnisium chain cases don't get rid of there heat near as well as an aluminum case and the dino oil tends to get overheated and suffer volitity burn off, hav't had no stink since changing over

Mighty said:
ZR800EFI said:
I just put Amsoil Series 2000 Chaincase lube in a couple weeks ago.
Ditto.

Same here. One year I tried using Bardhal chaincase lube. I saw first hand how thick this oil would get below -20 degrees. It flowed like thick corn syrup. The Amsoil flowed freely like maple syrup. Hmmm, why do I have a hankering for some waffles?

yamadoo said:
Some how this got brought forward. I have now switched, no mobile 1 available, so got some 75-90 marine gear lube from Amsoil, came in a quart, will last a long time at 8oz. A time.

So far so good. Cheap per volume, should be a good choice as you can see there are many choices

I also have some of that but never used it as I was concerned about the pour point, and I still had lots of the Mobil-1 75-90 I have used for years with good luck so that is what I continue to use.

Did you happen to look that up, curious what it is?

Royal Purple SynchroMax 100% synthetic for gearbox & transfertcase.
Better than ATF Synth. Less noise.
Better lube under load.

Irv said:
yamadoo said:
Some how this got brought forward. I have now switched, no mobile 1 available, so got some 75-90 marine gear lube from Amsoil, came in a quart, will last a long time at 8oz. A time.

I also have some of that but never used it as I was concerned about the pour point, and I still had lots of the Mobil-1 75-90 I have used for years with good luck so that is what I continue to use.

irv i put the ams in my lower unit of a 150 evinrude and picked up 1 mph from dino oil so if that matters, biggie with the amsoil marine oil is how water contaminated it can become and still be an effective lubricant

blue er said:
Irv said:
yamadoo said:

irv i put the ams in my lower unit of a 150 evinrude and picked up 1 mph from dino oil so if that matters, biggie with the amsoil marine oil is how water contaminated it can become and still be an effective lubricant

That is why I bought it Blue, for my boat but I ended up trading it in on another and with warranty etc, the dealer has been using nothing but Merc products.

I still have it and will likely use it some day but only if it's pour point goes low enough for snowmobiles?

The 10% water infiltration is an added bonus, but it's highly unlikely imo, to ever get water/snow/ice in your chain case.

Did mine last weekend with Amsoil.

Used mostly ATF for chain case from 70's on to maybe 80`s. Since then some of my sleds had magnetic dip sticks that collected black fuzz, chain and gear wear. Swtched to Amsoil 75-90 gear lube and notice very little wear collecting on dip stick. Also I keep a log of most everything and on a new sled the chain will require adjusting about the first 500 to 1000 miles and after that the MARKED adjuster usually never changes.
My Rage chain adjustment is the same at 12000 miles as it was at 1000 miles, go figure.

Back