• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What's an "articulated rail"?

mooseflyer

Expert
Hi gents,
I've been doing some reading up on the Venture TF now available in the US. The Yami description mentions an "articulated rail" which supposedly "helps backing up in deep snow". How does this work? Is it just a turned up portion at the rear of the skid? I looked at a few pictures, but I didn't notice anything different from a regular skid?

I believe it has a hinged portion of the rail tward the back. it will be spring loaded so that when the track is pulled backward the spring compresses and the rail tip is lifted. Used alot on long track work sleds.

BETHEVIPER said:
I believe it has a hinged portion of the rail tward the back. it will be spring loaded so that when the track is pulled backward the spring compresses and the rail tip is lifted. Used alot on long track work sleds.
X2 and the spring tension is easily adjustable. I have been meaning to observe mine in reverse to see how much it tips up but not yet. I'm doubtful how well it would work in soft snow though and that is where it is needed most.
Also the tracks are 151" on the TF so it is less common and more difficult to find a swap compared with the 144". And the shocks are not adjustable like the GT.

in deep snow it does not back up much better
the snow flap sometimes gets caught also
there is no noticeable difference with the 144
my buddy had 1 and when we swap
it feels the same :Rockon:

Thanks gents. Interesting. I'll have to see if I can find some better pictures online somewhere - sounds like it should be fairly obvious to see. I can't see one in person, as none of the dealerships in my area carry them. The concept makes sense in theory anyway. It's kind of disappointing to hear that it doesn't work well, as that's one of the reasons I'm considering the TF over the GT if/when I upgrade.

BombaPolaYama said:
And the shocks are not adjustable like the GT.

Really? At all? You're talking about the front and rear shocks on the skid, right? Is there ANY kind of adjustment back there to change the ride feeling, such as a "2-up block" or something than you can switch when riding solo?

mooseflyer said:
BombaPolaYama said:
And the shocks are not adjustable like the GT.

Really? At all? You're talking about the front and rear shocks on the skid, right? Is there ANY kind of adjustment back there to change the ride feeling, such as a "2-up block" or something than you can switch when riding solo?
The ski shocks and the front skid shock have the adjustable spring with the big locking nuts like on the other models but don't come with the clicker shocks like the GT; (Unless they are updated in recent years - mine was a leftover 2010). There is no two-up block and you don't need it as these have stiff suspensions - I have the torsion spring adjuster set on medium for two-up riding and it doesn't bottom out like my VL. My wife likes the ride much better than the VLite.
I have also wondered if the articulating suspension actually flexes on the bumps when going fwd and helps to smooth out the ride. :dunno:

BombaPolaYama said:
The ski shocks and the front skid shock have the adjustable spring with the big locking nuts like on the other models but don't come with the clicker shocks like the GT; (Unless they are updated in recent years - mine was a leftover 2010). There is no two-up block and you don't need it as these have stiff suspensions - I have the torsion spring adjuster set on medium for two-up riding and it doesn't bottom out like my VL. My wife likes the ride much better than the VLite.
I have also wondered if the articulating suspension actually flexes on the bumps when going fwd and helps to smooth out the ride. :dunno:

Ah, ok, sounds like my '06 Venture then. I've never seen the clicker shocks, so I don't know what I'm missing I guess. I can't imagine I'd change the settings much anyway. Glad to hear your wife likes the ride - that's important to me (gotta keep her comfortable and interested in the sport). I'm about 180 lbs and she's about 100 lbs, plus gear, so it sounds like there should be a setting to keep us comfortable.

Back