• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who is Happy with their Nytro???? Tell me!

Nytro XTX review

My forst Yamaha was a 2009 Nytro XTX. The first year was a good ride after adding Hi-Gear Front triple rate spring and a revalve job, and adding Pilot Skis. :-o

The second year was not good. Every time out resaulting in overtemp lights all season long. never found trhe problem.

Ended up trading it in for a 2010. Hopefully this year will be a good one.

I'll harbour a guess that you will encounter the same overheat issue with your new Nytro as well. Until Yamaha designs coolers inside the tunnel, you will encounter overheating while riding ice, hardpack and low snow conditions.

The best cure is to install a Nytro MTX cooler inside the tunnel.

Believe it or not, I think Water Wetter really made a difference on my sled. My temp light never came on again. Love my SE.

I have been riding Yamahas for 32 years; I have put more money in upgrades to my '08 RTX than all previous sleds combined. However, this is the first sled I can put 300+ miles in a day without my back hurting. So, I have to say it is a great sled once you get use to the different riding style.

I really think the best solutions to the over heat problems are to 1. Dilute the factory coolant. 2. Installing a temp meter. I have only done those two things and I have to say I have rarely had my light come on. When it has I have expected it to, due to very low snow, or hard ice conditions. What the temp meter does is allow you to monitor what the actual cooling conditions are occurring under your sled. When you see the temp is getting up, you can pick a different line, dip into some loose stuff, or just drag your toes a bit. Obviously this isn't a solution to the actual cooling issue itself but it will keep you from having to pull over and stop. Adding an under tunnel exchanger is probably the best addition to drop temps overall. But adding the meter is a two for one deal. I think I will add water wetter just for the heck of it, haven't heard anything bad about it. Plus no additional weight like with adding a cooler.

I have only had my temp light come on twice in over 2000 miles and both times I was backing up (pulled the snow off my heat exchanger) in low snow conditions on spring days. I have ridden on ice, logging roads and icy trails with no problems all with a stock machine ( no extra exchanger)with the coolent that came with the machine. There are 3 other XTX's that I run with and I can't remember them overheating although last years low snow conditions caused an RX1 and an Attack in our group to overheat on a number of occasions.

The whole cooling and overheating discussion on these nytros is a lot like the Hyfax discussion. Some people have a big problem, some have a small problem, and others never have a single problem.

I had a small problem with the heat light coming on, only in pretty poor conditions, but mostly when driving slowly with "slower" family, stop and wait, stop and wait, etc.

added water wetter and the tunnel cooler, problem solved. Expensive yes, but it was nice to never see that light again.

Over 2500 miles on my XTX and I am very happy with it. Only complaint is the fuel tank.

I can't believe the amount of guys with overheat issues. I rode mine in conditions last season that should have had a light come on and boiled over....nothing..and I mean I was riding on a road side for a couple kms that had zero snow on it.

shaddow44 said:
I can't believe the amount of guys with overheat issues. I rode mine in conditions last season that should have had a light come on and boiled over....nothing..and I mean I was riding on a road side for a couple kms that had zero snow on it.

Yep, I agree... I have been on just roads with hadley any snow on them with my 3 years in front of me going 20 miles an hour for a long period of time and my XTX has never over heated. The only issue I have is ice build up and that is where a rear heat exchanger would come into play.

shaddow44 said:

Running down a bare road was never a problem as long as I ran fast enough to keep an adequate flow of air through the engine compartment. My problem occurred when running Western NY's tight twisting trails through the hills on a warmer day. My speeds are down, the trails are packed and the engine is working harder climbing hills. Dipping into fresh snow or trying to speed up is not an option due to hidden junk off the trail and unsafe speeds for the trails. Riding with larger groups on these trails consistently caused my Nytro to run hot. I tried the normal remedies but the problem wasn't corrected until I installed the tunnel heat exchanger kit.

Like many others, I love the engine in this sled but now that Yamaha has put it into the Vector I'm think about dumping the Nytro for the LTX GT. I've had very few problems with my 05 Vector compared to the Nytro money pit.

My 08 fx overheated quite a lot;even in good conditions.
my 09 xtx has never even had the overheat light come on even once in even worse conditions.

Turk said:
my 09 xtx has never even had the overheat light come on even once in even worse conditions.

Could the XTX's skid have somthing to do with this...different aproach angle=more snow on the heat exchanger??

I have the MTX and XTX, the XTX can overheat easier than the MTX, due to the extra heat exchanger in the MTX.

In spring time with warmer weather and harsher snow, I ride without the hood on. It allows a lot more air through the rad. Works nicely.

At any time for those without a temp guage, if your rad fan is on, you know its time to hit some snow.

Turk said:

The 08 Nytro's are JUNK! :o| The 09 and newer are the best by far! They handle, ride, perform and look so much better than the 08 models. I know this because Turk has said this over and over and over again! ;):D I don't know how a great manufacturer like Yamaha could market such a big POS like the 08 Nytro? I wish Turk worked for them he would straighten them out for sure! :-o

Back