• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Why is there a slit on the hose inside the airbox.??

Frozenstiff

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 Arctic Cat Turbo
Anyone know why there is a slit on the hose inside the airbox ??. I have a 2007 Apex RTX and notice that the same slit was on the 2006 Apex ER I had as well. :4STroke:

It's there as a safety device if the end of the hose freezes/ices up or gets clogged, the crankcase can still "breath" and let out pressure.

DO NOT silicone or tape it up.

hi, what slit on the hose are you guys talking about, is it the 3/4" open on one end? i had trouble back 500miles ago i had a code says "air" looked into air box saw the slit cut taped it up sled started right back up no problems since. if it is a safety system what else would cause this because as soon as we taped it up the fi system pressurized and let the sled start? i am curious as we thought it was fixed and the code once we deleted it never came back. also the sled is always in a heated garage and when it falled i was in front so no snow dust .

take the tape off,if the end ever freezes up the crankcase pressure will find a way out and it usually isnt good,blown crank seal maybe,the slit is supposed to be there

The slit is a good thing. When the RX-1 came out in 03, riders in extreme cold conditions found that snow dust would enter the air box and freeze up, causing pressure to build up and oil shooting out. I learned this the hard way when riding in -38C conditions.

To correct the problem, all Yamaha four strokes beginning in 2004 have a 1" slit in the breather hose.

so guys what would be the problem with my sled if i only put tape on the slit and the sled started right up and had no other problems since i just do not want to take of the tape and i fails again

Apex 4 the slit allows pressure to equalize should the end get snow dust in it, with out it you can get positive pressure in the case and the oil then seeks a 'new path out'. I don't think the slit was the cause of your code, obviously the dissemble and reassembly took care of it. Unsure why, but would recommend you open the slit.

I am not an expert but know some and have heard them discuss this, you need that slit open.

Yamadoo

Back