• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will there be a 2021 Venom next year?

I think this patent is of the pro cross where Yamaha had to do some chassis changes to shoe horn the Viper engine into it and later the 998T.

No it's not even close,read the patent!!

I'm thinking something new is coming hopefully in a pure Yamaha chassis but we will not rule out the new stickers concept or rebadging the Cat procross, it is long over due for Yamaha to move forward and migrate back to their own designed chassis and stand on their own two feet again, hopefully it will be cutting edge but I am not getting my hope's to high, Yamaha has not put to much time and money in the pro cross other than shock upgrades and new stickers and different paint concepts, Cat has revamped the front end and with Yamaha 's help improve the fit and finish so it would be a easy transition to a new chassis and models for Yamaha but the transition will be slow to break away from the pro cross and a new chassis better be good to pull winder owners away from the Cat chassis, now will we see just one all new model from Yamaha or more than one design? who knows Yamaha is very tight lipped, these new sneak peak vids that Jaret has mentioned that are to be released soon will tell the tail on Yamaha's direction, cross your fingers!!!
I think you’re really under valuing Yamahas contributions to cats program. And if it’s a change to chassis or not motor related just assuming it’s all on cats end.

let’s not forget cat is the one that was struggling and got sold. Maybe because the outside packing has cat come to mind before Yamaha people assume it’s cat carrying the flag, yet they are the ones that got sold and are scrambling for traction still.

As far as the venom it was previously the 600 when the viper was a 700, I don’t believe it would replace the viper. But I do think maybe a blast version then they will have new phazer and 600 class sleds aswell.

No it's not even close,read the patent!!
Not even close?...Well it sure looks like the Pro cross, the front end is Pro cross, rear and seat are pro cross and that's a 3 cyl housed in it which I believe is the Viper engine, don't care what the patent say's, " if it looks like a Duck and quacks like a duck....its a Duck" what makes this patent different visually for you to think its not a Pro cross with a Viper engine in it?

I think you’re really under valuing Yamahas contributions to cats program. And if it’s a change to chassis or not motor related just assuming it’s all on cats end.

let’s not forget cat is the one that was struggling and got sold. Maybe because the outside packing has cat come to mind before Yamaha people assume it’s cat carrying the flag, yet they are the ones that got sold and are scrambling for traction still.

As far as the venom it was previously the 600 when the viper was a 700, I don’t believe it would replace the viper. But I do think maybe a blast version then they will have new phazer and 600 class sleds aswell.
Yeah... maybe Yamaha has abit more influence but Textron has the final say, when Cat was sold they were actually doing all right at the time and standing on their own two feet and had some money in reserves, I believe a year or two before the sale of Cat they bought a new headquarters building, it was the greedy investors and Ceo's of Cat that cleaned out their reserves and pocketed the money then sold Cat for a song to Textron, it was kinda a slap in the face to the workers and supervisors for their hard work building Cat back up and making money, they were not struggling, Yamaha will have to trade something with Cat to use the blast chassis, that's why I think something new is coming in the way of a new pure Yamaha chassis.

Looking at the patent, it seems the emphasis being made, in terms of what is unique about the design, is the use of "carbon-fiber reinforced plastic" for the pyramidal section of the chassis, the belly pan, and portions of the hood. The stated goal of the design is weight reduction and structural rigidity/strength. The drawings are too generic to really get a sense of what this sled would look like, but it does look compact and rider forward ... and it does look like there is more than one design. I noticed that in some of the drawings, the shape of the pyramidal framing is different, and when motor placement is illustrated, some drawings show a triple (one drawing shows a crankshaft for a triple), and some show openings through the tunnel for a four pipe exhaust header. Only Yamaha really knows wheather this patent will be used, but it's interesting to see their ideas.

It would be nice to see something new brought to market, but I don't get too whipped up about this stuff anymore. If something new does come out of Japan great. I like seeing new products from any manufacturer. The Blast from AC looks like it could be fun little package, if it really is a mid-size sled and not another variation on a down-sized adult sled like the EVO. I'll refrain from forming any judgement until I actually see one up close, but in my opinion the long track version should have a more capable engine. A 15 x 146 inch track is too big for a 400cc single piston 2-stroke (even if does put out 65 horses). So unless Yamaha does get to put the Phazer motor in the long track version of the Blast, the short track model would be the preferred sled for me. My son, who is now 14, is at a great age for the Blast ... so this sled is more than a passing interest for me right now. But, and I hate to admit it after so many years of being let down, I am still holding out hope that Yamaha will offer something similar in this target market.

Last edited:
when Cat was sold they were actually doing all right at the time and standing on their own two feet and had some money in reserves
That is not really true. In the early 2010's they where in good shape with some money put away, When
Claude Jordan got done in 2014 they were in far worse shape. I dont know the particulars but that period of time between 2011 to 2014 seems to be a hole that Cat could not dig out of.

That is not really true. In the early 2010's they where in good shape with some money put away, When
Claude Jordan got done in 2014 they were in far worse shape. I dont know the particulars but that period of time between 2011 to 2014 seems to be a hole that Cat could not dig out of.
Correct, all one had to do was look at the share price.

Not even close?...Well it sure looks like the Pro cross, the front end is Pro cross, rear and seat are pro cross and that's a 3 cyl housed in it which I believe is the Viper engine, don't care what the patent say's, " if it looks like a Duck and quacks like a duck....its a Duck" what makes this patent different visually for you to think its not a Pro cross with a Viper engine in it?
okay look at FIG 12 in the patent and tell me where that is on a viper?

Again, the emphasis of this patent is on the use of "carbon-fiber reinforced plastic" for some of the structural chassis parts. One of the most significant parts appears as item number "51U" in most of the drawings. This is what I referred to as the pyramidal section of the chassis in my previous post. According to the patent, there are other parts that use the same carbon-fiber reinforced plastic, like the belly pan and some of the parts that will be used to cover the motor. So this is definitely not a procross chassis ... although there are similarities. Also, some of the drawings show openings in the tunnel for the exhaust that would suggest a 4 cylinder motor, and other drawings show a motor with 3 intake ports ... there's even a drawing showing a crankshaft for a triple cylinder motor. And if you compare the structural shape of item 51U in those drawings you will note that the shape appears to be different for different motor configurations, suggesting that there is more than one chassis design.

Again, the emphasis of this patent is on the use of "carbon-fiber reinforced plastic" for some of the structural chassis parts. One of the most significant parts appears as item number "51U" in most of the drawings. This is what I referred to as the pyramidal section of the chassis in my previous post. According to the patent, there are other parts that use the same carbon-fiber reinforced plastic, like the belly pan and some of the parts that will be used to cover the motor. So this is definitely not a procross chassis ... although there are similarities. Also, some of the drawings show openings in the tunnel for the exhaust that would suggest a 4 cylinder motor, and other drawings show a motor with 3 intake ports ... there's even a drawing showing a crankshaft for a triple cylinder motor. And if you compare the structural shape of item 51U in those drawings you will note that the shape appears to be different for different motor configurations, suggesting that there is more than one chassis design.
Yep.and this has been in the works for the past 5 years so will this be the year?

"Venom" or "Enticer", I think that it is in the cards that any new sled will be the Artic Cat Blast with Yamaha decals on it. Personally, I would rather see it with a Phazer or other lightweight 4-stroke engine, but it most likely will be AC's 2-stroke, which will make it more affordable, and appeal to more riders.

We don't hear much from Yamaha on the subject of snowmobiles, but what little we do hear makes it pretty clear that they are going to stay on the 4-stroke path, and that developing a 2-stroke snowmobile engine is not in Yamaha's future. Regardless of what patents they may file, as long as they have the current relationship with AC, I think it is pretty clear that a Japan built sled is not in their future either.

Honestly, while I would really like to see Yamaha do something completely new, and totally unpredictable, the truth is that the Yamaha sleds that I am riding now are far better than any other sleds I have ridden in the 25 years I have been riding. So, whatever new sled we get for 2021, and whatever they name it, I am happy!

Turbo Apex engine

Back