• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX overheating...

upei93

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper X-TX LE MPI turbo
2009 Nytro XTX
I did a search but couldn't find the post I was looking for...Did I read on here that if you adjust your front shock there was a possibility that the different angle of your track might throw less snow onto your muffler/slides and cause your sled to overheat? I ask this because last night my XTX was running hot (could smell plastic burning). This has not happened in over 600 miles but this was the first real run after I backed off the adjuster on my front shock...Hope this is not the case because I like the new set up and being able to rail in corners. The snow conditions were fine (no ice) muffler was so hot it would boil snow that I threw at it.

I don't see the shock settings on your sled having any effect on the temperature the sled is running... The Nytro has a radiator under the hood that requires airflow and one cooler at the front of the tunnel that is cooled by snow. The only time my sled has gotten hot is from idling too long. The yellow light comes on, and if you dont get moving to cool it down, it will shut itself off (only happened once). Burnt plastic is usually slides...and if you ride a Yamaha, better get used to it :o| Occasionally I get a little smell from under the seat, but I think that is the plastic seat pan getting hot from the exhaust. I have checked and seen no damage though, so I just chalk it up to "character"... ;)!

Never heard that one myself, although a change in a suspension setting may cause more/less slider wear.

I think you have to take a look at the conditions that you were riding in as a factor in riding temperatures. You say there was no ice, however were you riding hardpack? Were you riding slowly? A studded track helps chew up more snow for more cooling.

You mentioned that you smelled burnign plastic, which is a symptom of sliders melting, but not engine overheating. Did your temp light come on? What is your coolant strength/level like?

I defy you to find a sled muffler that does not boil snow after a sled has been ridden.

So it sounds like it is normal...Don't remember my temp light comming on and we were riding rabbit trails so the speeds were slow...Was just worried that I would have to go back to stock settings which IMHO sucked...Thanks guys!!!!

(It's my first 4 stroke/Yamaha so the learning curve is pretty steep)

Just keep your eyes on the sliders.

Yamaha has historically poor slider wear. Extra idler wheels seem to help this problem.

2X on that ^^^ Extra wheels or you can get Hiperfax if you have a fully clipped track. Ice scratchers have helped me as well.

Back