• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Y-Pipe Flange Replacement

Clamps would clamp the flange over the the flex pipe and the donuts. I had no issues there. They were tighter than using the OEM seals. The fit over the YPipes was interference. I made a jig to position the flanges on the Y pipes. Cut off the flanges then put the y pipes in the freezer overnight, slid the pipes and flanges in the jig and it sealed ok. I posted this with pictures.

Well, after 3 attempts of modifications and more than 15 hours, we pulled the FX Garageworks system out and replaced with a set of used Y-pipes and header pipes. Quiet a mouse now ans no more back firing!

Well, after 3 attempts of modifications and more than 15 hours, we pulled the FX Garageworks system out and replaced with a set of used Y-pipes and header pipes. Quiet a mouse now ans no more back firing!

This surprises me because FX Garageworks is on the site and they seem very confident in their product. I actuall was thinking of going this route thinking it would be a better, permanent fix.

That was our thought also. The product is very nice but we pulled the sled apart 3 times in attempt to get the fitment correct but to no avail. We are very mechanically inclined and have all the right tools to install this system. we followed Kevin's instructions to the letter and filed, fitted, ground, fitted over and over to achieve proper fit. Seemed we had the exhaust sealed where his flex pipes meet the Y pipe but could not get it to stop leaking at the engine side. The ID of his flex pipes seems to be larger than the OD of the cut off header pipes. We broke a couple bolts in the provided clamps and had to replace them initially. We then purchased some other similar clamps but heavier duty and also stainless in hopes of sealing. We also slit the flex pipes a bit further in hopes of giving some relief and more squeeze, but this did not work either and still had leakage. Maybe you will have better luck, but we went back to stock pipes and headers with copper donuts and all is sealed and quiet!

Hi. This is Kevin from F/X garage Works. If you where having issues on the install I wish You had called or messaged me for help with the kit. I stand be hide my kit and always here for support. The kit has been designed to fit an Apex to a Phazer or Venture and even a VK Professional. The kit requires work and patience for install. There are also ways that the owners can upgrade and even improve the product by welding the pipes to the header manifolds. But its all based on the skills of the person doing the install. if you have any question please let me know! Thanks.

My brother Dave did contact you Kevin! We have the skills and patients that is for sure and we spent countless hours playing with fitment but could just not get it to stop leaking and backfiring. Very frustrating indeed. We did consider tig welding the flex to the header pipes but just had enough frustration and wanted to ride. Another friend had a used set of Y pipes and headers that we installed in 1 hour and all is good now. Not bashing your system, just could not get successful results after many attempts thats all. Maybe others will have better luck.
Believe me, we sure wanted this to work as I believe this is what the factory should have had in the first place. I have a suggestion, perhaps sell the kit with the header pipes already tig welded to the flex pipes. Purchase a few new ones to start and then do an exchange program to keep used ones coming in.

My brother Dave did contact you Kevin! We have the skills and patients that is for sure and we spent countless hours playing with fitment but could just not get it to stop leaking and backfiring. Very frustrating indeed. We did consider tig welding the flex to the header pipes but just had enough frustration and wanted to ride. Another friend had a used set of Y pipes and headers that we installed in 1 hour and all is good now. Not bashing your system, just could not get successful results after many attempts thats all. Maybe others will have better luck.
Believe me, we sure wanted this to work as I believe this is what the factory should have had in the first place. I have a suggestion, perhaps sell the kit with the header pipes already tig welded to the flex pipes. Purchase a few new ones to start and then do an exchange program to keep used ones coming in.

I have installed the kit on many RX1's , Apex's pre 2010 and the newer ones 2011 up. The kit works great and I have the kits's on my 2 Rx1's and the Nytro. I understand the frustration of the installation and needing the patients. But when it comes to that you just want to get riding it shows that you maybe rushing it. I'm glad you were able to get some used parts to get you going right away and get back on the trails. This way you can finish the installation on the kit with the parts you removed and have it ready to go for when the parts wear out. That is a good idea of the exchange program with the flanges. I have been in contact with my supplier of having the flanges already mounted to the Flex pipes and I'm trying to keep the cost down on the kits and economical for everyone. I strive on always trying to improve the product and for easier installation. If there are questions please feel free to message me on Facebook,Instagram or my web site at fxgarageworks.com. Thanks. Kevin

Back