• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha 4s or Ski-doo ETEC 600?

Oh, and another thing that these bass boat owners do.... they run the engines too high out of the water so that they suck air. Again, no cooling = kaboom.

Bass boats represent a minority of outboard engines and as a result, failures in this LIMITED MARKET do not indicate problems with the line. The majority are on salt-water boats, run within their safe operating range, and mounted deep enough to consistently suck up only water.

The Yamaha 4-strokes are proven dependable and reliable. and they seem to get faster and faster.

What do you think the 2-stroke is going to do?
Ski-doo is running it so lean, they're worrying about overheating the crank bearings, so their solution is to liquid cool the crank cases.
It's still a two stroke.
It's still going to need to be rebuilt.

Doo engines have developed a reputation for being piston-eaters and IMO things are only going to get worse with the new "clean" 2-strokes.
To me, the gas milage, low oil use and light weight mean nothing. To me, the key stat is how long will the engine last?
I look at the Doo (and any other 2-stroke) and you figure the engine will only last 5,000-10,000 miles. I then look at a 4-stroke and the fact that the engine will last 20,000+ miles. For me, its a matter of knowing that most people will never, ever wear out the engine on their 4-stroke.

Bakemono said:
Doo engines have developed a reputation for being piston-eaters and IMO things are only going to get worse with the new "clean" 2-strokes.
To me, the gas milage, low oil use and light weight mean nothing. To me, the key stat is how long will the engine last?
I look at the Doo (and any other 2-stroke) and you figure the engine will only last 5,000-10,000 miles. I then look at a 4-stroke and the fact that the engine will last 20,000+ miles. For me, its a matter of knowing that most people will never, ever wear out the engine on their 4-stroke.

EXACTLY!!!!!! Some people just don't get it! :4STroke:

QCRider said:
How many of us own sleds for more than 10,000 miles? I bet the average is closer to 5,000.

I agree with your statement, but now that we have engines that will last 20,000+miles I can see bearing changes and bushing replacement a reasonable alternative every 5-8K miles.

I think, or I will say for myself and some of my friends, the reason we traded in around the 5K mark was to avoid major rebuild concerns we viewed as inevitable if we hung on to the sleds.

Now that I have found/created something I am happy with I can see hanging onto it for quite some time.

There, now that I have said that, Yamaha will finally come out with something in 09 that will really turn my head and that I have to have!

QCRider said:
How many of us own sleds for more than 10,000 miles? I bet the average is closer to 5,000.

5,000 or more or less. The point is you know you are riding a ticking timebomb, asking your self on the second year, that maybe you should of rebuild it. It's complete BS, when you are hundreds of miles away from home and enjoying riding for only 3 months out of the year. Unless you can afford a new 2 stroke every year. The chances are good it will blow up in the 2nd or 3rd year. Why put yourself through the aggrevation? That's why we all ride a Yamaha 4 stroke. You don't have to worry about the motor... 99.9 percent you will make it home, reguardless of the amount of miles on the motor.

thegrizzly1 said:
I think, or I will say for myself and some of my friends, the reason we traded in around the 5K mark was to avoid major rebuild concerns we viewed as inevitable if we hung on to the sleds.

Now that I have found/created something I am happy with I can see hanging onto it for quite some time.

This sums it up perfectly for me! I never kept a 2 stroke sled much past 5,000 miles just because I didn't want to deal with the hassle and expense of a blown motor or be left stranded in the middle of nowhere with an engine that let go.

I much prefer to make repairs and upgrades to the chassis than I do engine work. Seems like once a two stroke siezes up, breaks a piston, catches a ring, etc, it is never the same after that and more susceptable to engine problems. I've always wondered about the unseen stresses that are cause when the crank suddenly locks up from a stuck piston.

Even after getting stuck three times last night in less than 1.5 hours and spending an everage of 20 minutes to dig myself out (I was by myself, within 3 miles of home) I'll still take my heavy 4-stroke over a lighter weight 2-stroke. Getting stuck sucks on any machine, it just takes longer and more work to get a 4-stroke unstuck. Besides, as long as you wear a back pack and carry your shovel, saw and headlamp, you will get it out. Besides, you'll burn extra calories and get more exercise.

Was Riding with two 600 FI doo's tuesday wed and thursday. They got 16.5 MPG I got 15 on my Warrior. Mixed conditions. They are fast to 90, and they leave real good.

I still dont understand how a two stroke that burns oil, can be cleaner than than a fourstroke that doesnt!!!

My sled has maybe burned a 1/4 of a quart of oil in 5840 miles..

The 600s are pulling impressive MPG numbers.. My buddy has a new XP600 and it gets a consistant 20mpg.. WOW.. and that sucker is quick,rides great, and handles awsome! Too bad his handwarmers suck (SOUND FAMILAR?)

it dont matter how fast and how good on gas they are,they will never be reliable like a 4s,if they were that good all cars,trucks would have 2 stokes,it aint the case,yamaha can get those 4s much cleaner than they are now,they are just starting

welterracer said:
I still dont understand how a two stroke that burns oil, can be cleaner than than a fourstroke that doesnt!!!

It isn't. It's not even close. Not sure which fourstroke's they compare to but you noticed that they say "even cleaner then some fourstrokes".. Doesn't really say that much.

http://www.snowgoercanada.com/pdf/news/ ... 090001.pdf

HC around 50 for the E-Tec. Compared to 9 for the RX-1. And you can of course add a three-way catalytic converter on the fourstroke which removes 96-99.99% of the emissions (HC, CO, NOx).

Doo is supposed to have a new 4 stroke coming out in 2009.

2610532337.jpg

I have also heard that Cat may be coming out with a Turbo Jag next year, and that Poo is also ready to release a new 4s not based upon their current twin.

[/img]

Metallicat said:
I have also heard that Cat may be coming out with a Turbo Jag next year

Cat need to release something based on the new snocross chassi for me to be interested.

and that Poo is also ready to release a new 4s not based upon their current twin.

They do have a partnership with KTM so they could have something interesting coming.. One thing is for sure, competition is usually a good thing for the consumers.

Back