• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

CROSSPLANE! One of the sweetest sounds on Planet and really needs to be in a Apex.
It would have been sweet if the 50th Anniversary Apex came with the Crossplane engine.

Never happen no ROI to do that the Apex is done. From here either tool up for something new from Japan or renew OEM Agreement with Textron.
Notice I said 50th Apex? I didn't mention anything about future models. We all know the 4-banger is done.

It simply would have been great to see the Apex go out with a unique engine package.

It's all really just wishful thinking.

Last edited:
I really liked my Apex and Attak but the truth is, it does not touch the handling of the Winder or its power or its comfort(with proper setup shocks). To say it is not a better sled given the last remarks is just plain dumb!!! Is there room for a N/A 160 hp sled that weighs less than 500 lbs, sure there is, but it will look very similar to what you see now with likely carbon fiber bulkhead and polymers to get the weight there. Do you think that Yamaha and textron would like to share the R&D costs? Sure they would and likely will. The train has already left, some of you just missed the train and are lamenting on whether it is coming back! Good luck!!

Jester

I really liked my Apex and Attak but the truth is, it does not touch the handling of the Winder or its power or its comfort(with proper setup shocks). To say it is not a better sled given the last remarks is just plain dumb!!! Is there room for a N/A 160 hp sled that weighs less than 500 lbs, sure there is, but it will look very similar to what you see now with likely carbon fiber bulkhead and polymers to get the weight there. Do you think that Yamaha and textron would like to share the R&D costs? Sure they would and likely will. The train has already left, some of you just missed the train and are lamenting on whether it is coming back! Good luck!!

Jester
I'm completely with you on that one! However, if it takes carbon fiber and sophisticated polymers to get a N/A 160hp lightweight sled, I certainly won't want to pay the price tag. Thinking back to Cannondale's earlier comment about Yamaha always being the company to have a engine package that really stands out has me thinking there are technologies already existing in the automotive market that we haven't seen trickle into our snowmobiling world yet. Two very easy things I can think of are direct injection and variable valve timing. Those are two things within the last decade of the automotive world that have helped to push hp up, keep engine size, and improve mileage. Now think of those being applied to a N/A engine that is smaller than 998cc, but yet making 160hp. That's where we may have a chance to continue being competitive from and engine standpoint AND get back into being competitive on weight. And in doing so, doesn't take anything away from the business model of pure 4-stroke that Yamaha is.

Jester
Same way I see it is does Yamaha and AC partner for the 160hp platform, part ways mostly because Textron wants it that way or Japan have a new 160hp sled for us. If Textron is not interested in renewing the agreement Yamaha is in big trouble and prolly will close the sled division....sad for sure but could very well happen.

Same way I see it is does Yamaha and AC partner for the 160hp platform, part ways mostly because Textron wants it that way or Japan have a new 160hp sled for us. If Textron is not interested in renewing the agreement Yamaha is in big trouble and prolly will close the sled division....sad for sure but could very well happen.
Man I hope not. I think even 2 laps would agree it would be very bad for sport.

Textron, leaving and developing there own sled engines while Yamaha has just proven to the world beyond a shadow of a doubt They make the best turbo charged engine in the biz !!!!

I can't see this happening I'm sure AC sells a ton of the 7000 & 9000 sleds and want's to continue........ The Weber engine was tried in the Polaris and was just ok. Why would they push the best 4-stroke company to the wayside just for a 5 year old chassis ???? They will continue to collaborate and put out awesome sleds!!!1

Well, Textron put the 998 NA motor in the Wildcat X & the Turbo 998 in the Wildcat XX so the deal is on for a little while anyways. If they stay in the performance bracket of side by sides, they will NEED the Big Y motors. If they keep Yamaha motors then they are most likely to keep the sled deal also.

BTW: Did you know Africa is a HUGE market? I found out AC/Textron is selling very well there...

The only reason I came back to Yamaha was the new turbo engine and the Cat chassis. I wouldn't want one without the other. Face it guys Cat has been building industry leading chassis for years and Yamaha hasn't. The Apex was a tank and the Nytro a nightmare. I know this because I owned both.

2 laps you really don't think it would be good for anyone if Yamaha stopped selling sleds even if they are just Yamaha powered cats?

i think we will see a new chassis in a year or 2....as for 160hp sled i dont see it, i dont think the market is there at all i see very few apexs now a days. I love that motor and sound tho but the majority of sleds around here are ski doos or cat/vipers. I dont feel the chassis is to old really, when you get them dialed in i much perfer this to riding my buddies 16 doo....and well polaris i cant get over the fisherprice plastic handle bar controls and looks really.

As for turbos ive had 4 turbo cars and plenty mods on them and ive never had a turbo issue and i usually push them very hard.....its a reliable power source in this day and age, just look at the cat 1100ts i really havent heard many having turbo issues who werent way turned up. Most people would argue that 4 stroke is to complicated over 2 stroke so 2 stroke is a better choice, but seeing none of my buddies 2 strokes have lasted as long as my cat/viper id say technology has improved and 4 stroke, efi has become rock solid nearly. I only have 6000 miles but ive never had starter issues or any issue with my sled aside from bogging with stock muffler.

... im guilty of not liking change as well, i think the winder nose looks way worse then the viper its just we like what we like....i hope both yamaha and cat keep doing what they are doing because its making some amazing sleds and its on a upword swing and i look forward to more to come

Back