• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Dealers are clueless about stocking wear items parts

RoyalBlue

Lifetime Member
Website
upstaging.com
Went to 2 so called Pro Yamaha dealers here and neither one of them had any 8DN belts or new model Phazer belts , both said its a special order and they are snowmobile dealers , pretty sorry not to have wear items during primetime , anyone else want to vent on this?

I got a local dealer to sell me DuPont slides at just over cost because the didn't have regular hyfax for the Apex... They didn't have hood clips, FS oil or filter... In the end they got an ear full and broke even on a set of slides... I was happy with a set of duponts for cheap :)

It isn't just snowmobile dealers, I've more or less given up buying anything for ANY vehicle of any sort locally. It isn't worth supporting the local dealer, they offer nothing to me other than being a middleman to process my order and take the package from the UPS guy.

Don't get me wrong, I will still call them up and ask if they have the part. I usually have already hung up by the time they say 'we can have it here next week'... Its a rare occurance that they do have the part.

My local dealer doesnt stock anything. Its always at least a week to order. Who doesn't stock sliders and oil change supplies!!!

Just tried to get 8dn belts for a trip next week, dealer is out and said yamaha has them backordered until february 13, how can you be out of belts during prime riding season?

I have to agree! I can see not stocking everything for the sled. It is just a huge tie up in inventory, but when I go to the local dealer and he does not stock hyfax, belts or carbides for the sleds he sells! Now those are wear items that most replace every year minimum.

Original local dealer sucked as he only ordered on tuesday if he had enough to make an order and if not then next tuesday. Waiting for two or three weeks for a belt or hyfax cause he won't stock them forced me to order from out of town and bypass him.

I will say that the dealer I buy from now gets his parts from Winnipeg. They do stock wear items and most other items are in next day and on the bus to me. If I call Monday morning I usually have them Tuesday afternoon or Wed Morning at latest. If they are in stock I have them Monday afternoon! Rarely do I wait longer then that except for some obscure item that nobody stocks. I can drive the 80 miles to get them but its just as cheap to send them by the hound.

Sasquatch said:
I have to agree! I can see not stocking everything for the sled. It is just a huge tie up in inventory, but when I go to the local dealer and he does not stock hyfax, belts or carbides for the sleds he sells! Now those are wear items that most replace every year minimum.

Original local dealer sucked as he only ordered on tuesday if he had enough to make an order and if not then next tuesday. Waiting for two or three weeks for a belt or hyfax cause he won't stock them forced me to order from out of town and bypass him.

I will say that the dealer I buy from now gets his parts from Winnipeg. They do stock wear items and most other items are in next day and on the bus to me. If I call Monday morning I usually have them Tuesday afternoon or Wed Morning at latest. If they are in stock I have them Monday afternoon! Rarely do I wait longer then that except for some obscure item that nobody stocks. I can drive the 80 miles to get them but its just as cheap to send them by the hound.

where do you order from? how's the prices?

smokingcrater said:
It isn't just snowmobile dealers, I've more or less given up buying anything for ANY vehicle of any sort locally. It isn't worth supporting the local dealer, they offer nothing to me other than being a middleman to process my order and take the package from the UPS guy.

Don't get me wrong, I will still call them up and ask if they have the part. I usually have already hung up by the time they say 'we can have it here next week'... Its a rare occurance that they do have the part.

It's sad but true. I like to support local businesses when I can, but when they are ordering online, like you said, they are just the middle man and wait for the UPS guy. If it was a better deal then maybe, but usually cost more.... I had to get a windshield a couple weeks back, went to the YAMAHA dealer and had to show the guy how to navigate THEIR website and show him what windshields were available for my Apex. Oh well, it is what it is... They sure don't make it easy to return sometimes though....

Just asking a question not trying to start a s$&t storm, why don't you have extra belts or slides in you garage? If the dealer can't get it I fail to see how it's there doing. Inventory costs money and ties a lot of it up.
I can see motor parts etc.. But belts and slides you should have a spare of each IMHO. Again not starting any storms I just know living in Houghton everyone comes here and buys which is great, this is why I have extra clutch parts and belt and slides.

Remember we got 6 more weeks of winter, no worries.

Try living in massachusetts and finding a dealer that has parts in stock for sleds. They sell sleds around here but there is very limited areas to ride. Because of this, noone stocks parts.
Clostest dealer that carrys anything is in N.H. a 45 min ride each way from me and to be honest, they really only stock hyfax. Anything else in stock would just be pure luck.
I have been ordering online since 2002 because the dealers around me are useless. They dont care and there is no sense of urgency for anything. If you are not a well known / recognised regular customer You get the feeling you are bothering them as soon as you step in the door.
If there is something i need i just order it online and bite the bullet on rush shipping. The way i see it, my time has value too,driving around to pick stuff up is a total waste of my time, Im better off saving that time and paying the shipping and if i buy from the cheap online dealers, sometimes the money saved pays the shipping!!

Local dealer is new but he has it right. There was still at least 88dn belts on wall after I bought 2. Always has hyfax during riding season and common carbides. Only time for most common items to be ordered is march as he burnt through his stock and does not want it hanging around all summer.

Heck I am the guy that usually ends up in there ordering parts they do not have all year. It is a running joke between us as I amm usually in there 2-3 times a month minimum getting parts.

Your dealers must be nothing like Port Yamaha. Kevin (parts) and Mike (owner) are the best. Chances are they have it. I can't remember the last time I had to order something and if you do it comes quick!!! I wasn't in there for 2 years as we had Polaris sleds and a couple months ago I stopped in to ask them about what sleds to look at and they both knew me my Name...2 years!!!

Now our local poo dealer is another story, they're terrible.

davessrx said:
Your dealers must be nothing like Port Yamaha. Kevin (parts) and Mike (owner) are the best. Chances are they have it. I can't remember the last time I had to order something and if you do it comes quick!!! I wasn't in there for 2 years as we had Polaris sleds and a couple months ago I stopped in to ask them about what sleds to look at and they both knew me my Name...2 years!!!

Now our local poo dealer is another story, they're terrible.

Your right. My local dealers are NOTHING like port yamaha.
Infact i have ordered quite a few parts from port. They even bailed my buddy out once by locating a bearing at another dealership and nda shipping it to him when our local dealer said it was out of stock/backordered.
Port is a great dealer. People in that area are lucky to have them.

I didn't read threw everyone's post but I did just have this conversation with a buddy, your local dealer won't stock a lot of items because they don't want money tied up in inventory, it was mentioned somewhere in here that why don't we have spare belts and sliders etc., it's the same reason, we don't want to have hundreds of dollars sitting around in our garage, I know it's frustrating not being able to get a part the day you walk in because I just went threw it for a cam slider but it's just the way businesses are run today

Kyle

Back