1. PLEASE READ: If you have problems logging in with your old password, click the Forgot Password link in the log in screen to get an email verification to request a new password or click Here. If you haven't received a new password from the forum please email your username and password to webmaster@totallyamaha.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  2. All hotmail, msn, outlook, live email accounts are not receiving email notifications. The only way to remedy this is to add @totallyamaha.com to your safe senders list in order to receive notifications.

Yamaha Nytro Belly Pan Fix

Discussion in 'FX Nytro General Talk' started by ezwoodman, Dec 21, 2013.

1. ezwoodman

ezwoodman Newbie

So, if you've got a huge gaping opening at the rear of your belly pan and snow is flying into your engine compartment making steam and washing clutches, try this!

I drilled a small hole close to the edge of each aluminum brace that is attached to belly pan.
    Drilled another hole in each aluminum bracket attached to the heat exchanger. I had used a punch to keep my bit from wandering when starting the hole.
    I utilized mechanic wire to tie up the belly pan and hold it in place where it should be!

I've got a 2 day ride coming up on Sunday. I'll report back my results later this week.

Best regards,
    EZWoodman

Attached Files:

3. toyota4runner

toyota4runner Expert

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    '09 FX Nytro
    You need to buy a Mountaintec skid plate my friend. Worth every penny. A must have for every Nytro

4. jb_008

jb_008 Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    Yamaha Nytro RTX SE 09
    Agreed, don't waste your time with that little fix, get a real skid plate. I hit a bunch of things last year and I am surprised there were no dents in mine. I ended up getting the full skid plate to protect the whole subframe from damage.

5. RobWarrior

RobWarrior Expert

Don't poop on the guy for posting his skid plate fix...maybe he doesn't want to cough up $150 for a skid plate, maybe he only rides groomed trails and doesn't need a skid plate but doesn't want snow coming into his belly pan. Nice cheap fix. Just think before you post?

6. mp5

mp5 Extreme

x3 on the skid plate EZ....The Nytro oil filter is just too vunerable, and poorly placed from the factory. Whether you ride on/off trail, you should strongly consider a plastic skid plate to completely cover your filter. A cheap investment relative to the alternative.......no poop slinging intended.

7. Radar22

Radar22 Extreme

X4 mountain tech. Skid plate a must have!

8. stubb111

stubb111 Paying Member VIP Member

very nice.....could be done in a pinch on the trail also.

9. poor farmer/logger

poor farmer/logger Expert

Just a word of caution. Make sure that its not pulled up to far and rubbing your oil filter. A mountain tech skid plate is a very good investment. I'm guilty of not getting one yet though too.

10. sorenson1610

sorenson1610 Paying Member VIP Member

Grind down the aluminum ribs on the plate so it doesn't rub the filter

11. ezwoodman

ezwoodman Newbie

Well, after riding for a couple of weeks in -30c and lots of powder, the fix worked but I'm still getting ice build up in other places. I have removed all my side panels again and I'm going to put foam tape around where the ice is forming to try and seal out the snow.

To others with the aftermarket skid plate recommendation, I'm cheap and stubborn! I do however greatly appreciate your recommendations.

More pics to follow.

Best regards,
    EZ

Attached Files: