• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Popularity

IBABAD1

Lifetime Member
Just my thoughts, I just need to vent about this. Was at Houghton Lake (TUT). Wanted to run and play. Noticed that ther weren't very many Yamahas there. Most of the time there are a lot of Yamahas. Mine broke, lost Boost. That was abummer for me. Artic Cat Z1 Turbos dominated in a Big way. There was alot of use to be yamaha owners with new Zi turbos. That was a bummer. I remember when Yamaha was Top dog. Wonder if that is ever going to happen again. Well that was just my 2 cents and what I noticed. I could be wrong. Have a nice day.

Cats big wigs know that "SPEED" sells!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simple as that... Until yammie breaks down and turbos something in the line up then you won't see that many..................... Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry sad. MM. :o| #$%&*

Don't know about TUT but the Keweenaw was full of Yammies this past weekend. Turbo/Supercharged sleds usually don't go far enough between gas stations up here to warrant one.

Rat A Tat Tat

My buddy was out there on his Z-1 Turbo and blew 3 150 dollar belts and took out his belly pan etc , a ongoing saga with his sled , yeah he may be King Cat but at that cost he is regretting the purchase.

From what they are saying the whole frame flexs and the motor twists the frame , he is running a Hyjacker and all of the Cat Turbo Goodies.

i went out riding a couple weeks ago when we had snow i'll admit did'nt see a lot of apex's ,stopped at a tim hortons there were 3 z1's and a couple of e-tec's everyone was talkin about they're sleds me being the only apex there after 10 min of everyone's stories i never had the most popular sled but i was definately the most satisfied with my sled, i love 2011 as much as when i got my 06 if the apex stay's the same in 2020 i'll buy another one

You would think with hackers right there that there would be more yamahas out on the lake ... Spicer's must have takin over this area

Pork Chop

09nytro said:
You would think with hackers right there that there would be more yamahas out on the lake ... Spicer's must have takin over this area

I used to have Rick dial all my sleds in when I bought new from him with no extra charge , they used to be one of the Top Yamaha Hop Up Shops in Michigan (USA) along with Shawmut Hills & Team Alpine , dont know if he is still involved in the operation last I heard Rick was headin to Florida.

Dealers now are banging the Pro Yamaha Drum , most sales involve pulling it out of the crate putting the handle bars on and loading it your trailer.

The Yamaha stand alone mom and pops are fading fast , more superstores or multi line.

We used to call it "The Hackers Massage"

We rode last weekend in the Eastern UP...

and all I saw were groups of Yammis. I guess the real tough, frigid, and must have a sled that gets you back, conditions brought out the die hards. Not for amateurs...

Where I mostly ride I usually come across groups with a few yamaha sleds. Other areas I hear they dontvsee them. I guess you notice what your looking for. I always notice the yamaha as that's my ride. Same as I notice fx4 ford trucks.

I grew up on sleds, but my wife didn't. We do everything together, so if I wanted to go sledding again, she was going too. We bought two Rx-1s last year and put on about 1200 miles. She loves it. Just traded the Rx-1s on new leftover APEXs. Put 260 break-in miles on them this past weekend, and we really enjoyed the upgrade.

Okay with all of that background, I ride up front, because I could never live with myself, if someone came across and hit her, while she was in lead. We aren't snowcrossers, by any means, but we do trail ride at a significant clip. I had several close calls this past weekend in turns and such with other sleds. I typically make note of what they are riding, and I know it is a generalization, but it isn't typically a Yamaha. There are a lot of aggressive Yamaha riders out there, too, but I don't seem to have as many encounters with them, so I definitely notice them, when they go by, because I don't worry about them as much.

As I said, there were a whole bunch of Yammis out between Grand Marais and Paradise this past weekend in some pretty extreme conditions, and I noticed it.

whats odd is there is quite a few Yamaha in Northern Minnesota, which is home to Poo Cat..... I DO notice there is still quite a few Trailing arm/Pogo Yamahas sleds running around along with trailing arm Indy sleds but I hardly ever see 1st gen REV/ Firecat sleds, wonder where they went as I use to be quite a few? Just abut every Yamaha owner I bump into seems to be the type that loves to hold onto there sled and "run it into the ground" which means they are hanging onto their 4 stroke Yamaha's alot longer and not purchasing NEW which it hurting Yamaha. Most DOO/CAT owners I know get a new sled every other year, Poo owners seem to hang onto them like yamaha owners do around here.

It's funny that this would come up now, as just this past weekend I was commenting to my cousin about how many Yamahas we were seeing on the trails. Almost entirely Yamis and Doos with a few Cats and some Polaris thrown in. While Yamaha might be last in sales and not popular at the races, there are certainly a lot of them on the trails. My Nytro is going on 7 years old with almost 12000 miles on it, but I slill love the sled. After 2 really crappy winters with almost no mileage, and factoring the price of a new one, why would I even think about upgrading?

blueironranger said:
whats odd is there is quite a few Yamaha in Northern Minnesota, which is home to Poo Cat..... I DO notice there is still quite a few Trailing arm/Pogo Yamahas sleds running around along with trailing arm Indy sleds but I hardly ever see 1st gen REV/ Firecat sleds, wonder where they went as I use to be quite a few? Just abut every Yamaha owner I bump into seems to be the type that loves to hold onto there sled and "run it into the ground" which means they are hanging onto their 4 stroke Yamaha's alot longer and not purchasing NEW which it hurting Yamaha. Most DOO/CAT owners I know get a new sled every other year, Poo owners seem to hang onto them like yamaha owners do around here.
The first Gen Revs and Cats seem to be the choice of young kids around here and usually live tough life of mods crashes and engine seizures. You can find some really clapped out ones on Craig's that someone uses for a "town" sled (most trailer about 3hrs to the mountains).
My Apex RTX shorty might as well be a 1980's Yugo. I have had it listed for sale for the last 2 winters in the $3000 range and have had 0 calls this year. There are some sweet turbo and n/a Mtn. Apexes and Nytros here but hardly anyone buys a short track Yam here. Seem to be more down south in Anchorage and other places. Mostly POl/Cat for short track and even mountain sleds with Cat maybe even being a bit more popular due to an awesome dealer. Some Doo also but dealer sucks, they will sell at full msrp+ and wont deal.

roadtripse said:
I grew up on sleds, but my wife didn't. We do everything together, so if I wanted to go sledding again, she was going too. We bought two Rx-1s last year and put on about 1200 miles. She loves it. Just traded the Rx-1s on new leftover APEXs. Put 260 break-in miles on them this past weekend, and we really enjoyed the upgrade.

Okay with all of that background, I ride up front, because I could never live with myself, if someone came across and hit her, while she was in lead. We aren't snowcrossers, by any means, but we do trail ride at a significant clip. I had several close calls this past weekend in turns and such with other sleds. I typically make note of what they are riding, and I know it is a generalization, but it isn't typically a Yamaha. There are a lot of aggressive Yamaha riders out there, too, but I don't seem to have as many encounters with them, so I definitely notice them, when they go by, because I don't worry about them as much.

As I said, there were a whole bunch of Yammis out between Grand Marais and Paradise this past weekend in some pretty extreme conditions, and I noticed it.

Exactly what I noticed this past weekend leading in western up. A few close calls and always someone on a ski doo. I would like to thank a fellow oncoming nytro rider who kindly flashed his lights and warned me of a bad crash up ahead. Only two miles farther for my group to be passed by a ski doo into on coming traffic. Figured the scene of the crash would have sobered and slowed them up for a bit but guess not.

Back