• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wifes 08 GT squeeling intermittantly.

shawnj

Expert
We stopped on trail to move over for groomer, when we went to move sleds forward I heard her's make a weird noise. I looked back and she had her hands up in the air. I went back. I gave i throttle and it took a bit but I got it moving. I drove it for about 15minutes trying to get it to do it agian but nope. I checked the belt when we got in that day. THere is a bit of wear on one spot, but not sure if it's enough to change belt. We went out the next day and she stopped and said it wouldn't go forward again and she had to back up first then go forward. Once again I tried it and couldn't get it to do it agian>>?? There is 2000miles on belt, but easy miles as she doesn't drive it hard. I do have a new spare but not sure if I should put it on if that isn't the problem?? What do you all think???

I would say it is the belt. My wife doesn't ride hard either but she needs a belt befor I do.

If you slide to a stop with the track locked the belt can be down in the secondary. It like trying to start a car in top gear if that happens.

Take the belt off and look the clutches over.. If there is any black on the clutch sheeve faces you will need to clean that off. I would suggest putting on a new belt and cleaning the clutches.. Then see what it does..

Ya I think I'll take belt back off again and clean sheaves some and put the spare on. I did try the hard on the brake and then take off again thinking maybe this is what she had done but I couldn't reproduce the same thing. If belt was getting hot I wonder if that would do it too as we had just gone through a slow rough, rocky strecth and a bit hilly too. What is the best for cleaning sheaves??? Thanks.

shawnj said:
Ya I think I'll take belt back off again and clean sheaves some and put the spare on. I did try the hard on the brake and then take off again thinking maybe this is what she had done but I couldn't reproduce the same thing. If belt was getting hot I wonder if that would do it too as we had just gone through a slow rough, rocky strecth and a bit hilly too. What is the best for cleaning sheaves??? Thanks.

You'll only get the belt stuck down in the secondary if you lock up the track while traveling at a good clip (30-50 mph or so) and leave it locked up all the way till you stop. If you lock it up and then let it roll out prior to stopping the belt will return to a normal starting position.

My money is with Riceburner's explanation. Clean the sheaves and new belt (If badly burned) and good to go!

Make sure the track isn't freezeing to the hyfax. That's happened to me sometimes. Stop for a minute in freezeing weather and won't get going again. Stopping with engine off that is. Have to pick the back of the sled up and step down on the track to free it up. Tore up a couple of belts until I realized whats going on.

Hmmmm. I'll have to check the clips in track to see if there is any residue from possible melting of hyfax. I don't think it has yet but if it's getting worn you never know. Thanks for the idea too.

help

clean clutches of slippage black marks with scrubrite and maybe a little acidetone and wash belt with soapy water , if it has not been grooved you could save it , and check tension on the secondary sping to make shure it has enough pressure so the belt does not stay hung up under hard braking or backshifting,

Back