• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Yamaha Attak

Warp

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Attak
I have a 2006 Attak 36000 km on it and last ride last year she went into limp mode. I towed her back to the garage and found the speed sensor was broke and bearing gone. I got a new sensor ordered but my question is, should the machine still start? She will turn over but won’t start, the battery is weak so I used a booster pack but still won’t start.

Taking out the speedo sensor and drive axle bearing should have no effect with it starting. You mention this occurred last year. Does that mean you still have last year's fuel in it? Also do you hear the fuel pump prime when turning the key?

It has fresh gas and the pump is cutting in

You also mentioned your Attack going into limp mode? What caused that to occur? Usually, taking out the speedo sensor when the drive axle bearing fails and is not caught in time only results in erratic MPH readings on the gauge; at least that's what mine did on my 08 Apex. Just wondering if something else occurred that coincided with your drive axle bearing failing and taking out the speed sensor and is now contributing your no-start.

The day before she did just break down and we got her to the garage and checked over a few things but found nothing. She started no problem next day and then that’s when the speed went all over the over the place

Basics: When you try to start it now is it just rolling over with no attempt to start (no cough). Coughing but not catching? Is it backfiring? Have you tried starter fluid? Have you ever changed the stator?

You also mentioned your Attack going into limp mode? What caused that to occur? Usually, taking out the speedo sensor when the drive axle bearing fails and is not caught in time only results in erratic MPH readings on the gauge; at least that's what mine did on my 08 Apex. Just wondering if something else occurred that coincided with your drive axle bearing failing and taking out the speed sensor and is now contributing your no-start.
I came across an Apex years ago right when the bearing took out the speed sensor, and it would not let the engine rev up at all, (into limp mode).

I guess I could see it going into limp mode if the sensor was damaged enough were it wasn't registering MPH at all while RPMs increased but you would think if the sensor was damaged enough to where it was only causing erratic MPH readings, that it would also go into limp mode for the same reasons; sort of like the TORS. When my gauge started showing erratic MPH readings and found the axle bearing to be shot, I was at least able to ride it to the trail head so didn't realize it could have gone into limp mode.

All bets are off of the reluctor ring has chewed up the speed sensor. I’ve seen sleds pop engine codes and go into limo mode, activate TORS at random, and even shut the sled right down. I’d start with a new speedo sensor and go from there. If you are still battling a no start condition check for spark, and meter the crank position sensor to make sure it’s within spec, or totally open. This was a fairly common failure in earlier Apexs once you got some miles on them.

I guess I could see it going into limp mode if the sensor was damaged enough were it wasn't registering MPH at all while RPMs increased but you would think if the sensor was damaged enough to where it was only causing erratic MPH readings, that it would also go into limp mode for the same reasons; sort of like the TORS. When my gauge started showing erratic MPH readings and found the axle bearing to be shot, I was at least able to ride it to the trail head so didn't realize it could have gone into limp mode.
Yes, the speedo readings were whacky and it wouldn't allow the sled to rev high enough to propel itself.

All bets are off of the reluctor ring has chewed up the speed sensor. I’ve seen sleds pop engine codes and go into limo mode, activate TORS at random, and even shut the sled right down. I’d start with a new speedo sensor and go from there. If you are still battling a no start condition check for spark, and meter the crank position sensor to make sure it’s within spec, or totally open. This was a fairly common failure in earlier Apexs once you got some miles on them.
The ohms is zero when I tested the black plug for the crank sensor

Taking out the speedo sensor and drive axle bearing should have no effect with it starting. You mention this occurred last year. Does that mean you still have last year's fuel in it? Also do you hear the fuel pump prime when turning the key?
I tested the crank sensor and it is opened, no ohms

But as long as its open... might as well do stator.

I replaced the stator assembly and still won’t start. She is exhausting/popping through the exhaust and intake.

Back