• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stiff Rear Shocks/Shock Valving Specs

ess

Veteran
Website
ericssalesservice.com
Got a couple of friends with an RTX and LTX that complained that the rear suspension was very hard/stiff. They have their springs at the lightest setting and the suspension on stutter to medium bumps hardly compresses. Anyone else relate to this?

They came from the factory very stiff. Loosened up ( soften) from spring in rear several turns. It helped a whole bunch. Then you can adjust the torsion spring (cam ) as needed.

Yes mine is stiff as well. This stiff shocks are actually contributing to some lower speeds as well because it's causing a lot of slide drag. I will be sending my shocks out after the season for a revalve that should help out a decent amount.

I just hope that softer shocks will also help this sled transfer better, even tho I like how flat it handles on flat trails, but when it gets really rough which is like 90% of the time, it be nice if it could lift the skis like an xrs or even like the nytro did.

Funny they have a pretty light valve stack part of it is the way that skid couples to the transfer blocks. I have had a few shocks apart and we were stiffing them up

Just had deycore revolve mine. Very slow rebound and compression. He had to try three different setups but seems to move well now. Will report back monday. His initial revolve definitely helped with transfer.

Center Shock Shims RTX SE:

Attachments

• DSC00642 (Large).JPG
    DSC00642 (Large).JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 426
cannondale27 said:
The shock in rear is not stiff at all. It is too soft and to fast rebound. The springs are to stiff for a light rider. Stay tuned for pics taking my shock apart tonight and I will bet that it is valved to light. Remember the spring supports the sled the shock takes the big hits and prevents kick back. I bottom my rear shock and rear is too stiff for me because of the spring. Adding one LXR torsion and will revalve the rear shock stiffer and slower.

Please post shim stack measurements . Arctic cat list all there shock valving sizes in the parts diagrams, im curious if the Yamaha has the same shim stacks .

Here you go.
1 bypass hole in piston
My guess 5wt oil Pink
First try is 10wt Amsoil
5.625 Piston Depth from shaft side. No bleed screw in piston.

Will set Piston at 5.700 which is cat spec for ZR SnoPro and run 10wt Amsoil. Go from there.

Attachments

• DSC00622 (Large).JPG
    DSC00622 (Large).JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC00623 (Large).JPG
    DSC00623 (Large).JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC00624 (Large).JPG
    DSC00624 (Large).JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC00625 (Large).JPG
    DSC00625 (Large).JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 391
I'd be very curious to see what the difference is between the ltx and rtx. I weigh 230+ and with my suspension on soft I have maybe bottomed the sled twice in 800 miles. Shen I sit on the sled the suspension drops maybe an inch and when I'm not on it there is no sag at all. Rode a friends base ltx yesterday and his is much softer than mine and also that feels as tho it transfers weight much better.

Has anyone found part numbers and specs for the torsion springs on the various models? Also maybe the front track springs. I know they are not easy to find. Very strange sled in that regard.

sk-rx1 said:
Has anyone found part numbers and specs for the torsion springs on the various models? Also maybe the front track springs. I know they are not easy to find. Very strange sled in that regard.

Would be real nice to know. Buddy I rode with yesterday with base model ltx had significantly softer rear suspension. It was a very plush ride. He couldn't believe how stiff mine was. Suspensions are set the same on both sleds as far as spring tensions

Back