• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SR Viper Hi-Flow Intake Kit

Srxspec

Ulmer Racing
TY Advertiser
Tech Advisor
Website
www.ulmerracing.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper LTX, 2014 Yamaha SR Viper RTX SE, 2015 Yamaha SR Viper MTX SE 162 (turbo), 2015 Yamaha SR Viper MTX SE 153
WEBSITE
www.ulmerracing.com
This kit is no longer available.

Last edited:

Any bog from idle?

WHat did you do with the sensor from the airbox that tells intake temperature?

Looks good, just like it did on my Nytro. It's not really a hp gain, unless you add PCV and exhaust. Together there might be 10-15 horse to be found. I'm seeing that that's what they are claiming just from the header. I find that hard to believe, but it would be nice. Adding just the filters is just bolt on and is not true hp. Bit it made my Nytro sound pretty cool. You can here the throttle bodies a lot better. :-o

The way I read it they are claiming the 15.6 with header and all the other add-ons, intake, PC........ Not exactly clear

That sounds about right. I had all that stuff in my Nytro and yes it was fast, but if I was up against a modded 800 it was tough! That's why I have the turbo. For the header PCV air filters and clutch kit you looking at around 2500-3000+ for bolt on hp.

Be interesting to see if this sled has the hard start problem with the air box removed and I assume the sensor relocated.

1050THMPR said:
Allen, How much of a gain? PCV?? Thx

4-5 hp. No need for a PCV if the muffler is stock.

NOS-PRO said:
Any bog from idle?

WHat did you do with the sensor from the airbox that tells intake temperature?

No bog from idle, although in any drag race function I wouldn't recommend leaving from idle, I would recommend leaving from just below clutch engagement.

Intake temp sensor gets zip tied to the wire harness.

YamahaTim said:
That sounds about right. I had all that stuff in my Nytro and yes it was fast, but if I was up against a modded 800 it was tough! That's why I have the turbo. For the header PCV air filters and clutch kit you looking at around 2500-3000+ for bolt on hp.

The Viper is truly very restricted in the intake and muffler areas. With just a intake kit and free flowing muffler 10-12 hp can be gained, but for both items you will need a Power Commander V to help with fueling. For about $1350 you can pick up 10-12 hp and that would include intake, muffler modifications, Power Commander, and clutching.

The stock air box is very restrictive, you can drill a ton of holes, but there is still restriction and drilling holes can change the characteristics of the air flow through the air box as well. When you put our K&N filter kit on, the air intake is no longer the restriction, the restriction is the size of the throttle body itself. We learned this on the air flow bench when playing with different combinations.

sxr70001 said:
Be interesting to see if this sled has the hard start problem with the air box removed and I assume the sensor relocated.

This sled never had a hard or no start problem in 500 miles so far, so unfortunately I can't tell you if it will change that or not.

I have not seen them to be lean at all. In fact, it's my opinion that they are rich on fuel.

SR Viper Track Dyno. This is from our Dynojet Track Dyno! Approximately 55% of your engine horsepower makes it from the crankshaft to the rear idler wheels (where our track dyno is measuring horsepower).

Box Stock = the lower line 75.06 hp (approximately 136.47 engine hp)

K&N Air Intake kit = the upper line 78.51 hp (approximately 142.74 engine hp)

cannondale27 said:
Can you show that graph with RPM rather than speed or was no tach reading gotten?

Unfortunately my RPM cable was against the exhaust on the box stock runs and I didn't get a reading (and didn't realize my cable was melting until it was too late).

Box stock RPM = 8450 to 8600

K&N Intake Kit = 8750 to 8890

It picked up approximately 300 rpm when putting on the intake. Runs were made back to back. Made box stock run, shut machine off, removed hood, removed air box, installed K&N kit, reinstalled hood, made another run. Approximately 4 minutes apart. All runs done at approximately 155 to 160 water temp (according to the dash temp gauge).

That sucks. Been there. Is that dip at 30mph taken care of with the clutch kit? I dont feel that at all anymore.

Very cool Allen!

Thank you for the reply Allen, you really did your homework on this one :)

Back