• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rapid Bike 3 Enlightenment - How does it work?

canuck5

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro MTX
Can someone explain hot the RB3 works differently than a Boondooker controller ect. Was told at sled show it also controls timing? Anyone tried and had good results? Will this help with throttel response for rear mounts? What is the studder function? These are things I have read and questions I have thanks. ;)!

how does it sense boost and when to dump more fuel. I kow powder lites sells them. Is that only for his kits or can i use it for a cpr apex

RB3 How it works

RB3 box has a wire harness for Apex or Nytro etc.
Harness has been upgraded to be able to run naturaly asperated or boosted. by changing a single wire connector.
Boosted sleds need to plug into a map sesnor whcih we have 2 or 3 bar map sensors.
2bar is up to 15 PSi 3 bar is 27 PSI
As soon as sled fires up it runs on map if mapped properly.
Once mapped no need to adjust for different boost levels or changes in alitude etc.
The harness plugs into Injection connectors, Pulser wire conectors for timing control. Key switch for power, and has a couple black connectors with single wires for Stutter button and switch maps.
Brown is stutter
Gray is switch maps.

Install a RB3 on rear mount MCX and you can add Ignition timing for way better throttle response and pull timing with boost for more power and run at different boost levels.
MCX uses 4 extra injectors that have only one set of wires controling 4 injectors so that when MCX box senses boost it kicks on all 4 injectors at same time and they have no timing control on injectors so they just spray and load up and give you lag like feeling untill it cleans up and then comes on hard.
Dobeck which makes the boxes that MPI, PureLogic, Attitude, Old PowderLites boxes etc. get power from injectors! Low voltage or hard starting cause poor running sled where they missfire and sometimes even stall when letting off throttle etc.
RB3 can pull fuel for bigger injectors and make power like a stand alone system that would cost about $5000. us funds. No need to buy MSD Ign. System cause RB3 does all that a stand alone does and more.
Boondocker may have changed from old stuff they had but only could run 85% duty cycle on Apex and no load base and runs a step system. Most guys went to Dobeck box like Outlaw Motorsports etc. to make there kits run better.
RB3 can be adjusted from Laptop with lite software or prolite that comes with USB cable. Or with new Bluebike using Bluetooth that uses Windows Mobile 6 Celphone,
Hope this helps clear up some questions.

http://www.powderlites.com

FLYBYU said:
That helps alot thanks. added to my wish list

Yes it does explain exactly what my MCX does comes on really hard runs great once spooled. Will probably try and RB3 when I see some results this year. Thanks Powderlights

Canuck5, did you lean down the stock Apex fuel map after you did the head shim. It will clean up the bottom end and make the sled a lot more responsive. Whoever installed it for you should havedone that. This RB3 setup sounds impressive, can it run the MCX auxillary injectors instead of replacing the stock injectors with bigger?

slymax said:
Canuck5, did you lean down the stock Apex fuel map after you did the head shim. It will clean up the bottom end and make the sled a lot more responsive. Whoever installed it for you should havedone that. This RB3 setup sounds impressive, can it run the MCX auxillary injectors instead of replacing the stock injectors with bigger?

This I am unsure of and there is no shim its got weisco LC pistons but I had an exhaust leak and am thinkin this was adding to the problem. Only had it out for small burn here and seems to be way better but at low elevation.

RB3 Wiring, mapping

When you are installing the new RB3 harness to a stock harness. The new harness is plugged inline with the original harness, both harnesses are used together.
1=Big injection plug with 12 or 16 pin connectors
2=White timing pickup connectors from RB3 inline with pickup/pulser coil connectors. The Apex connecters are at the front of the sled beside the Voltage regulator/recitfier. The FX Nytro connectors are the black ones above primary clutch.
3=Key switch
4=Map sensor when boost. Map sensor has to be connected to Vaccum/Boost.
5=On the new RB3 harness it has a single connector so you can switch from TPS/Natural asperated to Boosted Map. Boosted sled is Green to Yellow wires connected. Natural Asperated is Green to Green wires connected.
6=Make sure Plug is connected to RB3 box in a secure connection.
Keep box on top of battery on Nytro or in a dry place and use Dylitic grease and ground harness.
7=Extra black connectors with brown and gray wires are for stutter and switch map.
Brown=Stutter by grounding wire
Gray =Map switch by grounding or we have map switches now in stock.

Thanks http://www.powderlites.com

Is there any point trying an RB3 on a NA piped Nytro. Would a guy see any gains either in response or all out power?

Rx1M5

I would go with a PC3 from Ulmar on a N/A sled. He has maps for it and there are some gains to be had. Not a huge amount unless doing K/N filters and excell exhaust.

I have an Excell exhaust, going to pass on the K&N's for now. I'm not sure if i'll turbo this sled (1 turbo sled is enough for me at one time) but if I do it'll be a Powderlites kit. By purchasing the RB3 now I won't need one come turbo time. Nothing against the PC III but just seems like a better use of money and a little more versatile to go RB3.

Rx1M5

Absolutely, if you are going PL you would be better off getting the RB3. The only thing is Dave has the RB3 set up so it will turn on a 1.5lbs of boost. You would have to modify the way the RB3 reads the TPS or Cranksensor, cant remember which one. At idle the sensor puts out 1.6V and the RB3 turns on at 2.6 volts. You would have to change the perameters in the RB3 to be able to use it to tune the stock map in Vacuum. Which will be a stock sled at all times.

T-Nytro said:
Absolutely, if you are going PL you would be better off getting the RB3. The only thing is Dave has the RB3 set up so it will turn on a 1.5lbs of boost. You would have to modify the way the RB3 reads the TPS or Cranksensor, cant remember which one. At idle the sensor puts out 1.6V and the RB3 turns on at 2.6 volts. You would have to change the perameters in the RB3 to be able to use it to tune the stock map in Vacuum. Which will be a stock sled at all times.

I think his new nytro harnesses allow you to tie into the throttle position sensor. That way you can use it on a stock nytro and then if you decide to turbo later you just plug in a map sensor and change maps.

Dave, can I buy the RB3, use it on my stock sled with N2O, then add a turbo later? Or does the box have to be updated to go from non-boost, to boost?
Thanks

rehm70 said:
Dave, can I buy the RB3, use it on my stock sled with N2O, then add a turbo later? Or does the box have to be updated to go from non-boost, to boost?
Thanks

Im sure Dave will answer but in the mean time ill try to help you out...

The box would need a different map uploaded to it which is very easy with the pro-lite software and usb cable. You would also need to connect the green/yellow pins together for it to look at the map sensor instead of the throttle position sensor.

Thats about it! Super easy switchover from what I have been told :)

Back