• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any quick tips for changing the sliders?

07Nytro

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
None right now
I really need a quick answer on how to change the sliders the quickest way? Do you need to loosin the track? Thanks

I have the easy slide removal tool which makes it a 10 minute job... basically you drill a long screw into the back of the slide, remove the screw at the front of the rails, and pull it out thru the track window.

If you dont have the removal tool, or know someone who does, I have heard that you can lube them up good and knock them out with a flat screwdriver thru the rear track windows. Not nearly as easy, but it can be done. Just be careful you dont damage your rails.

Good Luck!

Swiss Sledder said:
Elevate track off the floor, loosen front screw holding in hyfax, carefully pound hyfax out about 3 cm through track window, start sled, put in reverse and tap the throttle. The track will peel the hyfax right off.

Are you serious? I just have visions of "ah, crap" right after I try this.

Rick

I find that heating the rail where the front screw is threaded in a little bit with a blow torch makes the screw come out much easier as it softens the loctite. These screw heads are easy to mess up if you are not using the correct screwdriver

I remember using a hammer driver to start the screw on my ol' 1990 Phazer, after the screw was out it wasn't too bad tapping the slider out using a screwdriver in the hole as the hammer point (lightly of course). Then some WD40 and the new sliders went on slick. Its good to see that you can still pull the sliders on the new Phazer without having to pull the whole suspension out...unlike my last Skidoo.

I've been keeping an eye on the front high wear area of the sliders, but like some others have pointed out, it seems to wear quickly at first, then its not too bad after awhile.

Rick

That track trick works slick.Slides barely fit through window of track though some lube helps.That dang screw is hard to get threaded in straight also.If you strip hole just drill a side hole and use a nut on screw like old setups.

Swiss Sledder said:
Elevate track off the floor, loosen front screw holding in hyfax, carefully pound hyfax out about 3 cm through track window, start sled, put in reverse and tap the throttle. The track will peel the hyfax right off.

Works like a charm!! Had queasy feelings doing this with my brand new sled last year, but won't hurt a thing. Give the throttle a little rev in reverse and they'll peel off like a banana.

Ok well I got my sliders off and they were almost bare in the front where the idler wheel is!

Swiss Sledder said:

there is no way things should be this easy on the phazer, i'm trying this tomorrow. +rep...thanks man

Well we didnt have any real good tools so my dad and I vise gripped the slider when we got it out far enough and then attached a chain to the vise and then attached a slide hammer to the chain. It worked like a charm!

Swiss Sledder said:

That's basically how I do it except I found that 6 -8" keeps the hyfax from bending and wrapping inside the track.

Another tip: put about 3 more saw kerfs, 1" apart, behind the stock one up front and this will help them hold the bend tighter. Now I only wear the hyfax out in the middle, where there are no wheels.

If you strip out the screw holding hyfax on just drill and file for a nut right where black mark is in this pic.Make it tight enough fit so no wrench is needed.

Attachments

• Slides screw fix 002.jpg
    Slides screw fix 002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 238
I got the screws out ok, but the holes were full of loctite. I used a tap to clean out the holes and they went back in perfect. I opted not to use loctite and haven't had a problem. Also on removal of the hyfax, I use a bfh with a large regular screwdriver to start it and a shot of wd or whatever you have, then use a 6" prybar and get the straight end notch on the side of the hyfax and just tap it out, drill a hole on the end when its out a foot or so, then put your large regular screwdriver in there and tap the screwdriver til its out. Put a little spray on the new set and they almost go all the way back on, tap them up and with clean holes put the screws back in.

Back