• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Air pod vents??

yzf1999

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE
Will six of those 1 inch round air pod vents make any power for a stock Phazer FX?? Would they help pull a Ulmer clutch kit?? Thanks..

With any mods, its affects your warranty. If the sponge were to get sucked through your engine, your not covered because its not a product yamaha offers.

Yes there is a screen in the airbox, actually a 1/2 " (?) foam pad, followed by a metal screen that protects the stock intake path, which originates down by the engine somewhere, I've never actually tried to place it excactly.

If you remove the front cover, the coloured piece that's held on wiht the rubber strap and then the other piece, Black, behind it with the turn-pins, you'll see what I'm talking about.

The purpose of these airpod vents is to move colder, more dense air into the intake path, thus being located in front of the the sled, away from any engine heat. So these pods are installed by drilling into this black, plastic cover and bypassing, the stock, filtering system.

I've thought about getting some of these but to me the risks outweigh the possible benefit, if any.

Also, FYI, there are two clips riveted in the air box. There purpose is meant to be to hold the metal screen in place. Some of the 07's and maybe 08's had the wrong rivet installed form the factory, which let go and got sucked in and blew the engine. I wired the two of them together and hooked em to the screen so they can't get sucked , should they fail. Many people have pulled them out altogether, without any problems. In fact, everytime I've opened the airbox, it seems that the clips have vibrated off the air filter, wiht no ill effects.

All the Best and hope for a great winter on the Rock

JP

If you install the vents in the airbox cover(most do) then no there is no screen. I have them in my cover and have sucked one foam insert through motor. Luckily it hasn't seemed to have affected the motor. I will say that there are C - clips melted or glued to the bottom of vent that is sapposed to hold foam in and several of mine have fallen out but luckily didnt go down the intake! I have since removed all c-clips and cross tied with safety wire to keep foam in.

FrogZskins are the way to go. I thought they were a bit odd compared to traditional air intakes.... but they seem to have a two fold upside. You can buy multiple sizes to take full advantage of the surface area on your air box lid... and there's no foam filter to get sucked into the airbox.

Installation was simple. All you need to do is cover the airbox with tape... trace the outline of the outside plastic so you know where the edge is.... line up the center of each hole... once drilled out.... all you do is press the FrogZskins over the top. (Almost like a decal application). The screen is waterproof.

Did I mention they were cheap too....

Link: http://www.frogzskin.com/

PRAV

Attachments

• frog1.jpg
    frog1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 222
  • frog1.jpg
    frog1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 223
You can always take off the intake cover and rip it once to see if there is any benefit. I did and I didnt notice any power difference. I think pods are just wish me horsepower in my opinion. Not to mention the possbility of water entering the intake. Just my opinion.

Back