• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OFT Racing - Nytro FX 121-136 Summer Project!

scmurs

Lifetime Member
Hey everyone.

We're working on stretching out a Nytro from a short track 121" to a 136" crossover sled and thought we'd use the 4 stroke garage to document the whole process. We will be using this as a test sled and will be putting on some existing parts that we make, trying out some new parts that we may end up bringing to market, or may just end up being one-time parts. I guess it will all depend on the level of interest from the TY crowd. :Rockon:

Some of the issues that we will address are the lack of track for the torque that the Nytro has, the "not quite right" steering geometry, and "twitchy" handling. If anyone has any other issues that you would like addressed, throw 'em out there, and we'll see what we can do.

First things first, here is the before picture. Keep in mind that I'm not a professional photographer and if anyone needs clarification or a more detailed picture, please let me know.

DSC00280.jpg

Looking at the lack of track reminds me of my 2002 piped Viper and the Yokohama track trying to put the power to the ground. Didn't work real well. :o| The answer for that came in the form of a 136" Ripsaw and that is what we will be putting under the Nytro.

Alright, we need some rail extensions. I wasn't happy with what else was out there and I have a few other ideas on what I wanted to see incorporated into the design. So, here is what I came up with:

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

I really like what Yamaha did with the 6 degree tip up rails on the XTX and think that this will work the best on this sled. It should keep the back of the sled nimble on the hard pack and add the desired rough trail/off trail effects of the longer track.

These rail extensions are machined for an 8" wheel and can be configured in a 2, 3 or 4 wheel set up. They use the same external track adjustment that our 153-162 Nytro MTX rail extensions use. If there are people out there interested in using the kit with the stock 7" wheels, this can be easily accommodated. The goal was to make an extension that had seamless mounting and matched the lines of the stock rails while incorporating the 6 degree tip up. The owner of the sled chose to go with a two wheel set up. Here are a couple pictures of the skid prior to installation:

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

This is where we're at right now. Well, it's a holiday weekend and I will be taking a short vacation to Door County, WI, but will pick up the project when I return.

Be safe, and Tom :rocks:

Scott Murray
OFT Racing
aka scmurs

Yep, those are some really sweet extensions. Good luck! G.B.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the feedback and compliments everyone. ;)!

Finally got everything back together. Here are a couple of pictures of the sled as a 136"

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

I sure love the look of the Nytro with a tunnel extension on it. Just seems to look more balanced to me. And, you can't beat the extra traction and floatation from the longer track. Can't wait for some white gold to try this one out and fine tune the clutching. Gonna be a fun one.

Next up is installing our relocator on the Nytro. I can't stand how the handlebars hit my knees when I turn the bars all of the way to the stops. After that we will be raising the bars up a little bit. Then.......

Stay tuned!!

scmurs
:4STroke:

Those extensions are AWESOME, they look factory. I bet that was a lot of work getting that sucker into CAD the first time.

I may have to make my mono a 144 now. Looks nice!

Can't find that rail extension on the OFT Racing website...??

Anything more happening on this sled?? Looking forward to see more pics!!!

I don't want to speak for O.F.T., but I had a chance to stop by (Thanks Scott!) and saw them being machined. They look great and will be picking up a set soon to extend my sled. They will be putting them on their website.

Hey all,

I've got the rider forward steering post relocator kit installed, but everytime I think about rolling the sled out to take a picture of it, it's raining. I really like the way it feels. It's going to be hard to quantify in pictures, but it makes the steering rotate on a "flatter" plane relative to the ground and keeps the bars away from your knees and gas tank when turning.

It was great to meet you too ralger. I think I hid all of the "top secret" stuff before you arrived, so you're more than welcome to comment on anything you saw. ;)!

We've had a lot of interest in the rail extensions for use with the stock wheels vs the 8" two wheel kit shown above and those are the parts that I am finishing up on now. They should be up on our website next week. I hope I made enough ;):D

Gonna be doing the 121-144 extensions with the 6 degree tip up shortly.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Really appreciate it.

Now, if Mother Nature will hold back on some of this rain and turn it into snow come December.......excited, all I can say, excited.

Scott
scmurs

Nice work the extensions look really good! Can't what to see the next project. ;)!

Gonna be doing the 121-144 extensions with the 6 degree tip up shortly.

How much would be for the phazer?

JTSKIR222 said:
is it me or is the oft website not working?
wanted to price the 136 kit for my 09 rtx se..

The website is working. What system are you running on your computer? It is a flash based website and a few people have had issues and needed to download the flash plug-in from Adobe.com

The rail and tunnel extensions are in stock and ready to ship. The kit with rail and tunnel extensions for running the stock wheels and axle is $325 + shipping. There are other options including 2 wheel kits and/or 8" wheels. If you want something other than the stock set-up, send me a pm or give me a call.

Regards,
Scott

Stock Wheel Rail Extension Kit

We now have the Nytro rail extension kit in stock available for use with the stock wheel set up:

DSC00477.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

The rail extensions can be purchased separately or in a complete kit with a Hartman Inc. tunnel extension. You just need to purchase a track and longer hyfax. 121-144 kits are also available.

scmurs
:rocks:

Back