• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Tether Install

Cubby

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Ski Doo 900 ACE Renegade Adrenaline
2007 Yamaha Phazer GT
I wanted to install a tether on my Phazer. It was very simple and quick to do. Total time was under an hour.

I purchased this normally closed switch (PN 420487): http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2242-kill-switch

Cost was under $15 including shipping. I removed all the body panels and the headlights and loosened all the bolts on the tank cover to give me some room to work.

I located the brown wire going from the Stop Switch on the battery side of the sled and installed the tether switch inline with the brown wire.

Soldered the connections and taped everything up.

I installed the tether switch on the left side of the machine since I already had an unused hole on that side. Plus it gives me the ability to stop the machine on the left or the right (using the stop switch). And I am used to the switch on the left side from my Skidoo days.

Tested the tether:

1. Started machine and let it warm up.
2. Press the stop switch - engine stopped.
3. Reset the stop switch and started engine. Pulled the tether - engine stopped.

All good.

Attachments

• Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 616
  • Wires.jpg
    Wires.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 696
  • Solder.jpg
    Solder.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 619
  • Tether.jpg
    Tether.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 544

Great Job!Any of you guys that ride aggressive or even just ride ditches or off trail you know you are going to roll it over or part from the sled sooner or later.Tether get it shut off right away and even without the Rollover valve at least you stand a chance that oil coming out wont ruin motor as long as its not running.I will add this to the Phazer How to.

Last year I hit a snow drift wrong and it threw me off the sled. The sled sailed in the air a good 20 ft (according to my neighbour riding behind me) and was starting to roll to the right but landed in the middle of the trail upright (Thank God!). I got up and ran to the sled and it was just idling but I do not want to trust TORS and I want to ensure the engine shuts down next time - just in case. Cheap insurance.

I lost my engine after an upside down full throttle stuck session. Luckily Yamaha warrantied it. I filled it with new oil from a guy inn a cabin, drove it out and brought it to the dealer to have the 10w30 car oil drained out and filter replaced and yamalube put in. Next ride BANG. New motor, thanks YES. Now with no warranty I am taking no chances with this machine, everything gets checked and fixed and all possible updates and betterments performed. Glad I can do my own work, this would be an expensive piece of machinery to have dealer maintained.

good deal.

i notice a miss placed bolt in that last pic. i know what that s.o.b. is for.

xt_gt said:
good deal.

i notice a miss placed bolt in that last pic. i know what that s.o.b. is for.

Yep - I did buy a new headlight cover but I rather like the ways I "fixed it". I use wingnuts to keep it down. A heck of a lot easier to remove and install.

I'll lift this thread.. How come OFT wires it's tether through a relay even if you don't install a rolover valve? Any advantages with this?

Maybe OFT is running the power (the brown wires) through the relay. The kill switch I used is rated to 5 amps. I don't believe the sled is drawing more than that - I have never had any issues in 3 years.

I may switch to "cap" style kill switch like the Artic Cat ones. Some people prefer them.

They use a relay because the switch they use is Normally Open. My opinion. Why make things more complicated. Use a normally closed just like he posted.

cannondale27 said:
They use a relay because the switch they use is Normally Open. My opinion. Why make things more complicated. Use a normally closed just like he posted.

I have a normal open witch I intend to use so I guess I will have to wire it simularlly as oft

Switch to relyay, ground relay, swith closes relay and it breaks brown wire?

But won't the relay be active all the time the tether is removed? If the tether is removed it will kill the battery over a period of time.

Back