• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro in the Trees

I am starting a new thread building on the topic we had been talking about from the pics that Mtdream had been posting.

Those are some interesting pics. That is my point exactly. It is very hard to hold my Nytro on a sidehll like that. Does that Nytro have the "mystery" front end on it? That is exactly the riding that I do all the time. I would love to have more confidence that when I stick myself in a tight spot in the trees that I will be able to hold it where I want it to go. I have been thinking that I want to do a turbo this summer to give me more power in the trees for uphill turns, but I am wondering if I should worry about the handling before I worry about that.

That had me excited to see the pics of the Nytro coming down through the same spot as that Pro was.

I am also curious what everyones take is on the front end handling of the wider front end compared to the older narrower front end. I have the narrower one and it seems as if all the other manufacturers are going narrow with their stuff. I think you can get a skidoo with a 36" front end.

Yes, those Nytros have the different front end...

For me, the issue I always had with the Nytro was two things...

1- In off camber situations, it felt as if it wanted to go down versus track, meaning, I had to correct the nose from wanting to go with gravity...Which made certain situations uncomfortable or nerve racking depending upon the consequences (which can be big where we ride)

2- The Nytro has generally speaking, seemed to want to wash out our go nose first out of a side hill...So it took/takes a lot more effort to maintain a line....

::::DISCLAIMER::::: I am NOT saying Nytro is bad...I am NOT saying you cant overcome these things...I am saying some sleds do not have these same traits/characteristics...

hugger70mtnmax said:
I am also curious what everyones take is on the front end handling of the wider front end compared to the older narrower front end. I have the narrower one and it seems as if all the other manufacturers are going narrow with their stuff. I think you can get a skidoo with a 36" front end.

for me, and what riding I do, I want as narrow of a front end as I can get...38" seems to be the magic number for balancing some level of trail manners (not a big priority to me) and primarily if not exclusively mountain/boondock riding...

I think the new Proclimb M sleds are standard with 40" but rumors of an accessory option of 38" (it is not in the catalogs though)

I totally agree with you about how they sidehill. It is har to have a lot of confidence in super technical areas due to the unpredictability There are so many times I turn out early because I am worried about holding a line long enough. You have me very excited to see what this new setup is.

It also has me wondering if it is just spindles and arms or if it is subframe stuff also?

hugger70mtnmax said:
I totally agree with you about how they sidehill. It is har to have a lot of confidence in super technical areas due to the unpredictability There are so many times I turn out early because I am worried about holding a line long enough. You have me very excited to see what this new setup is.

It also has me wondering if it is just spindles and arms or if it is subframe stuff also?

Patience, I am sure more information will come. Like many aftermarket items, test with some people who are in the industry, get feed back, tweak, bring to market. It all takes time.

OK Patience my a$$, where's mine?

mtdream said:
For me, the issue I always had with the Nytro was two things...

1- In off camber situations, it felt as if it wanted to go down versus track, meaning, I had to correct the nose from wanting to go with gravity...Which made certain situations uncomfortable or nerve racking depending upon the consequences (which can be big where we ride)

2- The Nytro has generally speaking, seemed to want to wash out our go nose first out of a side hill...So it took/takes a lot more effort to maintain a line....

The Phazer is exactly the same. The only real way to control it is to lift the skis and turn with the track or hang off the side of it (I installed a left throttle to help here). Unfortunately the Phazer doesn't lift its skis very well. I think it has to do with the height of the engine in the chassis. Look at where the crank is compared to other sleds. The Phazer is about 6" higher than pretty much any two stroke.

Anybody found consistent good results with stiff vs. soft ski preload for trees and deep powder? I get variable results with either. Seems to depend on the snow. I rode a Pro last week for a day in the trees and was quite impressed with how easily it went where I looked. ***Ditto Mtdreams disclaimer above*** The owner said he had the ski preload way soft, but it didn't ever bottom out. Just wondering if anybody has run very low air pressure/preload and noticed a favorable difference?

Ruckus said:
The Phazer is exactly the same. The only real way to control it is to lift the skis and turn with the track or hang off the side of it (I installed a left throttle to help here). Unfortunately the Phazer doesn't lift its skis very well. I think it has to do with the height of the engine in the chassis. Look at where the crank is compared to other sleds. The Phazer is about 6" higher than pretty much any two stroke.

I would actually like to respectfully disagree with you on this. I'm guessing that your Phazer still has the wider front end as it came in short track form?

A Phazer MTX, with the narrower front end, is much easier to throw around than a Nytro MTX with its narrow front end. I do understand the "high point" of the motor that you are bringing up. Both the Phazer and the Nytro inherently have that "tip over point" that tends to catch you off guard. A more predictable rate of roll would be what I'm looking for. Make sense?

treehugger said:
Anybody found consistent good results with stiff vs. soft ski preload for trees and deep powder? I get variable results with either. Seems to depend on the snow. I rode a Pro last week for a day in the trees and was quite impressed with how easily it went where I looked. ***Ditto Mtdreams disclaimer above*** The owner said he had the ski preload way soft, but it didn't ever bottom out. Just wondering if anybody has run very low air pressure/preload and noticed a favorable difference?

I see you have a 2010 based on your signature line. Is your sled an SE with the Float 2's? What are your front shocks set at now? My experience is the softer the better, but not too soft or you will lose predictability on the trails/hard pack and on off camber ( especially downhill ) situations.

Back