• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What track do you have?

Totalrecall

Extreme
Im looking to do the 136" track convesion this summer, and am unsure about my best track options. I know that a large amount of the guys here love the 1.5" lug Free Ride, but i ride 90% on groomed trails. Is a 1.5" lug track the way to go? There are a bunch of ice hills in my area and what ever track i purchase will end up studded. (don`t know if that makes much of a differance)

Thanks all

I have never seen a review where someone was unhappy running a 1.5 with a phazer on or off trail. I am also debating on a 136 1.5" or sticking to the 121 and getting a 1.5".

For the 136's you will need to cut it down to 14" wide. I dont think there is an option out there for a 136X14X1.5.

Totalrecall said:
Im looking to do the 136" track convesion this summer, and am unsure about my best track options. I know that a large amount of the guys here love the 1.5" lug Free Ride, but i ride 90% on groomed trails. Is a 1.5" lug track the way to go? There are a bunch of ice hills in my area and what ever track i purchase will end up studded. (don`t know if that makes much of a differance)

Thanks all

Jf 90% of your time is on groomed I would go 1.25" Ripsaw and forget the 136.

There are a TON of Nytro and Apex guys that swap out their Ripsaws for something bigger.

Cut it down to 14" and studded or not you'll save a ton of cash.

I almost went 1.25" but we have NO trails where I ride.

Just my. 02

I have been 100% happy with my 121"x1.5" FreeRide up until my last two trips fo the season this year.

I found it to be squirrely on the post-melt flat groomed trails. That being said, as long as I had the ski pressure, I could still point the skis and control the skid. This is not my average conditions, so I was still very happy with my track. Studs would have made it perfect, but I don't justify the cost for those few spring days that have come up.

Good luck!

Mike,

Thanks, but i honestly want to do the extension. and to an extent money is not the driving factor.
I have found the posts about cutting the track down Ruckus had a very nice thread on this conversion.

I`m just not sure what track to go with.....the track will be the real expense and that is the one decision i don`t want to screw up.

Thanks again

I had a 121 freeride 1.5 and now have a 136 ripsaw 1.25. Freeride is a better track. Better braking and acceleration than my 136. Don't short change yourself, get the 1.5 for sure.

Ruckus said:
I had a 121 freeride 1.5 and now have a 136 ripsaw 1.25. Freeride is a better track. Better braking and acceleration than my 136. Don't short change yourself, get the 1.5 for sure.

x2 on the traction comment.

My Phazer really tears out of hole, on hardpack my bumper drags (like in my pic, but on white stuff called snow LOL!)

Not sure what the 1.5" is like on-trail? Might want some ice scratchers?

1.5" ripsaw for 300 is an awesome deal, go for it.

I think the freeride reference was if you stuck with a 121 and wouldn't have to cut it...

But what Ruckus said is true, the traction, acceleration, braking and floatation of the 121 Freeride is amazing

And yeah if you are running 136x1.5" mostly on trail you really want ice scratchers!

I never had an issue with hyfax wear with the 1.5. The OFT extension is tipped up so you need another set of wheels right there.

Ruckus what kind of riding do you do?

I haven't had slider issues either (never in my life actually) but I never ride trails or low-snow

the FREERIDE is more or less designed for a rider that rides 50% on trail and 50% off trail and the RIPSAW is designed for the rider that rides 90% trail and 10% other but I will say I do love this track and it loves to burn sliders so grab bigger wheels.

I went with a 13.5x128" firecat track, lugs are 1 3/8". By far the best mod I've done. Bought the new take-off track from a F7 for $175. Total spent with track and rail ext. was just under $300. Just throwing that idea at you.

xrrider said:
I went with a 13.5x128" firecat track, lugs are 1 3/8". By far the best mod I've done. Bought the new take-off track from a F7 for $175. Total spent with track and rail ext. was just under $300. Just throwing that idea at you.

How much did you have to extend the rails? I thought there was only an inch or 2 of actual track touching the snow difference from a 121-128?

Back