• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The New Secondary Brain Child Is Done And Is Easy To Do

UP bushman

VIP Member
Well the stock Phazer secondary took a crap and I was not gone to be limited to fixing that pathedic vintage thing. So the brain child went to work on a fix with some adjustability options and found it pretty easy. My dealer gave me a new style secondary clutch to borrow from the 2010-11 models. I bought the one I used from ebay for $60.00 that is sweet. Below is how easy it was to do the project and am geeked to tune it.

First the inside of the secondary spline which is 2 1/2" long needs 1 1/4" machined out from backside of clutch towards frame. Then use the stock Phazer washer against the shaft bearing and slide new secondary on. The clutch offset is .600 clearance as spec out of manual shows .590-.670. Next ordered a collar from Apex and cut down to .770 in length no boring required. Use existing outside washer from Phazer with new 14mm x 1.50 pitch x 40mm bolt and torqued down and done. The outside secondary clearance is .004 the spec is .004-.008 on secondary sheave play.

The project is done and fired up and now I want to ride it but it does need a helix for the 100hp power plant by the way that is coming. The helix in the secondary clutch when I got it was 51-43 multi angle which is way to steep. Probably will go with 43 degree helix and start testing there.

Attachments

• New Secondary Project 029.jpg
    New Secondary Project 029.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 599
  • New Secondary Project 027.jpg
    New Secondary Project 027.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 594
  • New Secondary Project 023.jpg
    New Secondary Project 023.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 627
  • New Secondary Project 018.jpg
    New Secondary Project 018.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 619
  • New Secondary Project 015.jpg
    New Secondary Project 015.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 605
  • New Secondary Project 013.jpg
    New Secondary Project 013.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 606
  • New Secondary Project 012.jpg
    New Secondary Project 012.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 631
  • New Secondary Project 011.jpg
    New Secondary Project 011.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 624
  • New Secondary Project 010.jpg
    New Secondary Project 010.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 597
  • New Secondary Project 009.jpg
    New Secondary Project 009.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 612
  • New Secondary Project 008.jpg
    New Secondary Project 008.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 609

Sweet! So what secondary did u use? Seeing how my season is over because of a broken wrist im ready to do sum upgrades on wifes phazer.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to switching to the reverse secondary as opposed to the other style?

i called it reverse secondary from what cannondale called it. i was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages from the style i have on my phazer vs. the one UP has.

Hey c27 the reverse cam design was started in 1995 to current according to the Aaen clutch tuning book. I don't know if it is reverse or not maybe someone can shed some light on this and explain it correctly. Either way the secondary is sweet with a ton more options.

I talked with Mountain Performane about a roller secondary and the benefits. I was told with the 4 strokes they don't see hardly any difference in performance like they do with the 2 strokes due to power curve. They have not been making any roller helixes for a while because of the 4 stroke and there tesing results. The guy was really cool and said he did not want to sell me somthing that really is not a big gainer for the money I was thankful for that. Also you would have to machine the botton tower down on the YVX clutch for other aftermarket roller kits for $300.00 and then your commited to not going back. Although I do have a rooler cap from my Arctic Cat that does fit the only thing is not sure if it would really work I may think about it.

Nice explanation UP.I came to same conclusion as you regarding roller also.If these were 2strokes or you wanted ALOT of engine braking on a 4st a roller would be a big help.For us a slightly slower reacting clutch easily keeps our motors in the power range because that range is so big compared to a 2st.Its preference but less engine braking I have the better but some do like it.Just a personal thing.One advantage of the reverse secondary is you can change springs and the wind without removing secondary and it also has 3 nuts rather than a clip holding it together.I also kind of like the belt height adjustment.Just spacers under three screws in back.No shims.The buttons seem to last forever on reverse secondary also.

Just a heads up guys, any FX Nytro model secondary, will not work for this modification. The FX Nytro models have a bigger jackshaft diameter .

Any SRX, SX, Mountain Max, Apex, RX-1, Vector, etc secondary will work though with the proper machining mentioned above. The main advantage is this secondary will last longer and has more tuning parts available.

Would this modification cure the ~800rpm loss that the MTX experiances in DEEP snow. Mine runs 11,200 all day on the trails but when I hit the deep snow it drops into the low-mid 10,000 range. Granted this really isn't an "issue" since its probibly only down about 2hp at that RPM due to the monster torque curve of the 4 stroke. Its just that I was used to my 136" SX600R, it would pull 8400rpm on the trail and STILL pull 8200+ in deep snow. If It would have dropped 800rpm like my phazer I would have been down 15-20hp!

Srxspec said:
Just a heads up guys, any FX Nytro model secondary, will not work for this modification. The FX Nytro models have a bigger jackshaft diameter .

Any SRX, SX, Mountain Max, Apex, RX-1, Vector, etc secondary will work though with the proper machining mentioned above. The main advantage is this secondary will last longer and has more tuning parts available.

Thanks Srxspec for technical info on what models will work for the other guys. I guessed wrong that the Nytro was the same thanks again for the catch.

reverse secondary

:yam: 1995-96 v-max reverse secondarys and 1995-1999 phazer 2s are the same with different helixes and springs. My question are there any clearance issues with the clutch cover? :yam:

Back