• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fastest Nytro yet?...Vector gauge odometer match

Beenba

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro XTX
So as some of you know, I finally picked up the vector gauge for my 09 nytro XTX. I am totally happy to have the larger readout/tach/clock etc etc.

The only downside is, my original mileage is not current now, and I really wanted to keep it original...im picky like that.

My sled has 5502KM on the original gauge:
img1109n.jpg

The Problem....
img1110n.jpg

My solution....I have unbolted the speedo sensor from the sled, and am using a spur gear from an old lathe to trick the speedometer. This gear I am using is connected to an old 120v fan motor I had laying around, with 3 speed adjustability..lol After machining up a quick coupler out of nylon and pressing the assembly togather, I had my rig set up.

img1111l.jpg

So the fastest I could get it was on setting 2 of the fan speed which was 250km/h. Speed 3 made the gear spin faster, but the gauge doesnt change past 250km/h. I hooked up the original nytro gauge just to see how fast it can read up too, and it only goes to 199km/h max.
img1112k.jpg

img1114w.jpg

Not too bad.....250km/h at 0RPM :-o

I need to make up for approximately 1200km for my odometers to match. At 250km/h this will only take about 4 hours.

Now before everyone starts saying "I would have.....or why didn't you.....just leave the gauge stock and have a free 1000KM?", I did this for my own personal self. When my sled rolls over 10,000km or even 20,000 km like my old 700 did, I want it to be original!! :yam:

Anywho, thought some of you would like this! Tonight alone I went 200km! haha :tg:

I was hoping to figure out how change the odometer and you just saved me the hassle of exploring into a 5-600 dollar gauge with no idea what Im looking for, now that you wrote this up I dont have to guess! thanks for the great write up!

I'm actually happy to see that someone really cares what mileage their sled odometer shows. I've heard of too many stories of people putting 10k miles on their sled, then swapping out the gage for one that only shows 2k miles and selling the sled for more money.

id change it but keep a picture of the old gauge for resale. Kudos for ur honesty.

I wonder if you reverse this procedure.....just kidding lol. Yamaha can take the miles and we can brag about how many mikes they last.

Haha nope it doesn't work in reverse. When I was setting up my test setup, I was accidentally going 250 in reverse for a bit, and it made no difference. This makes sense since the speedo sensor is just a simple pulse encoder and has no directionality. Should hopefully have the gauges matched by today!

I could swear I read on a previous thread that changing this guage does not give accurate RPM's and some how throws the ignition timing outta whack some what. Anyone else recall reading or hearing that

canoehead said:
I could swear I read on a previous thread that changing this guage does not give accurate RPM's and some how throws the ignition timing outta whack some what. Anyone else recall reading or hearing that

I belive the tread you are talking about was an apex gauge. from the people that have put the vector gauge on there it has worked good for them, and since you have an analog tach it makes tuning your clutching a little bit easier...

img1117l.jpg

All done!

And as you can see from the gas gauge, there is no change. The 1st pic with the original gauge had 3 bars, and when the Vector one is connected there is still 3 bars. I would believe it is identical. It even looks like they have the same total number of bars between the two.

Also, it is the apex gauge that makes the sled run odd. From what I have tested this gauge has no ill-effects.

Just waiting on my water jet guy to finish up the plates so I can mount this thing properly to my sled. Snows just around the corner!

Back