• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Polaris Gripper Ski Installation on Nytro

Off Trail Mike

Gone Riding!
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
MTX
Guys:

If you are interested in installing Polaris Gripper skis on your MTX / XTX, I have a cheap and relatively easy conversion to install the Gripper on our Yamis.

Why the Gripper? Firstly, they are lighter, which helps the front of our sleds. Using my 500kg crane scale, here are the relative ski weights:

(Includes Stock Runners and Rubber Stoppers)
Gripper: 6.4 lbs each or 12.8 lbs for the pair.
MTX: 8.3 lbs each or 16.6 lbs for the pair.

Weight savings: Just below 4 lbs.

Besides weight, they perform pretty well against the stock ski and are relatively cheap. I picked up a pair of 2012 skis off Snowest for $150 + shipping. They have a slight height advantage too, as the vertical distance from the mounting bolt to the carbide runner is 3-1/2" on the Gripper and 3" on the MTX ski.

To do the conversion, use the newer 2011+ Polaris Gripper skis (metric version) which uses a 10mm mounting bolt, the same diameter as the MTX/XTX. Older ones use 3/8" mouting bolts.

For XTX guys,the only part you will have to buy is the ski bolt from the MTX ski (M10 dia x 153mm long) and if you got the mounting bolts and nuts that came with the Gripper skis..you won't need anything as the gripper bolt is the same diameter/length as the MTX bolt. For MTX guys, you will need the following 4 parts from the XTX (2 sets, 1 set for each ski)

XTX Parts Numbers:
(Qty: 2) 90387-1012H-00 (Yami Description is "Collar"). It is the hollow shaft that goes through the spindle
(Qty: 2) 90387-16018-00 (Yami Description is "Collar"). It is the spacer that goes over the hollow shaft between spindle and outside of the ski
(the only difference between 16017 and 16018 is they are slightly different in width.)
(Qty: 2) 8HL-23743-00-00 (Yami Description is "Stopper 1"). It is the rubber stopper under the spindle.

MTX Part Number:
(Qty: 2) 90105-10106-00 (Yami Description is "Bolt Flange"). This is the ski mounting bolt.

I had this part on the original part list, but it is common to both the MTX and XTX so its not necessary
(Qty: 2) 90387-16017-00 (Yami Description is "Collar"). It is the spacer that goes over the hollow shaft between spindle and the inside of the ski

Here's a pick of the bolts/collars/washers:
P7171225.jpg

Basically, the parts in the picture and the rubber stopper are the only parts that are not common between MTX and XTX that are needed for the Gripper installation.

On the Polaris parts side, you need the complete Gripper ski including the ski bolt bushing: Part number: 5136908 (Polaris Description is "Bushing, Plastic Ski, Metric").

Beyond the parts, you need to make 3 rubber spacers 5/8" thick to shim up the Yami Rubber Stopper into the proper postition for the Gripper Ski, the approximate dimensions are
2 pieces 5/8" x 5/8" x 3-1/2"long
and
1 piece 5/8" x 1" x 3-1/2" long.

PolarisGripperSkis004.jpg

I cut my pieces out of some 1" thick rubber skirting for a conveyor belt, but any rubber or conveyor supply company should be able to find you the pieces you need. Using an exacto knife, I had the pieces cut in like 15 minutes. Here is a pick of the center of the gripper ski. I removed the 5136908 Polaris Bushings, but they go in the holes on the top and bottom of the pic..

PolarisGripperSkis002.jpg

The 5/8x5/8x3-1/2 rubber pieces fit in the outside spaces, and the 1"x5/8 fits in the middle space which you can see in the following pic. Also note the bushing are installed in this picture

PolarisGripperSkis001.jpg

Next step is to flatten the bottom of the Yami rubber stopper by cutting off the two 1/8" thick ridges that run along the outside edges. Again, exacto knife does this easily. I used a bit of WD40 and a sharp blade, and it sliced off with ease.

P7171226.jpg

At this point, I assembled everthing and tested the fit. I am pretty sure you could use it like this, but I decided to glue the rubber pieces to the bottom of the Yami stopper using rubber cement to make the whole thing stronger. I used Fusion Systems ECRF (1 pint is smallest size to buy) which works really well. Rema Tip Top also make SC2000 which is basically the same stuff.
PolarisGripperSkis006.jpg

Apply 2 coats of the glue to both surfaces, allow first coat to dry for minimum of an hour (max 48hrs). Apply second coat until it is no longer tackey and press together. I used the ski as the jig. I put the 3 blocks in place and then pressed the stopper into the blocks....done. WARNING. ITS CONTACT CEMENT SO YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO STICK TOGETHER. CAUTION WHEN ALIGNING PARTS!

removing the piece from the ski, here's what it looks like.

PolarisGripperSkis005.jpg

Finally, I put the ski on. It was as good a fit as my XTX or MTX ski, IMHO.

PolarisGripperSkis010.jpg

The one thing I like about this setup is when you compress the rubber bumper, it absorbs the shock and distributes it really well....translation: Should last quite a while.

P7171230.jpg

Finished and installed.
P7171232.jpg

Hope some of the guys can benefit from this, and many thanks to Nikolai and the Alaska crew for leading the charge on this one.

Bring on winter!

OTM

Great write up. I really like my Grippers. I used the stock Polaris ski rubbers and shimmed underneath them like you did and they've worked great.

That is a cheap four pounds. Very well documented I think.

This is the first summer in three years that I have put the sled aside for my hot rod, but I need to start thinking about what I am going to do to drop the weight some more this summer.

I am pretty happy with the way it rides I would like to drop some weight however. This and a battery could get me 10-12 so that would be a good start.

My sled is leaning because I let the air out of a shock trying to check the pressure, sigh.

Zbroz +3" front end coupled with gripper skis. Can't wait to try it out!!

Would think so, the bushings are easily removed so you should have no problem to drill them. I would guess the older 3/8" and newer 10mm have the same outside dimensions.

OTM

I know this is an old thread and obviously for Nytros, but would anyone happen to know if the gripper skis can be made to work with a Phazer? If not no big deal, but I kept a 2012 Phazer for around the house and some powder and would love to make the grippers fit. Thanks!

Back