• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rode the 128 and the 141 today

MNUser

Expert
All I can say is this is a nice sled. They both handled great. The steering was effortless and it had that familiar Nytro pull. I though they were comfortable to ride. There were a couple things I noticed.

1. I did not like how my knees banged against the plastic. Had to adjust for that in sitting sytle but is was manageable.

2. I asked about the fit and finish and the rep told me there were only 27 of them that were being shown around the state. There are adjustments being made because he said it was not up to yamaha standards. They would all be easy fixes when they go into production.

3. I asked about the chain case and here is what I was told. Yamaha was aware of the issue with the cat chain cases and this case has been engineered a little differently and they have not had the issue cat was seeing. It had two chains in the case one for reverse. I did not try the reverse feature and I wish I would have. He said it functions with a servo like the Phazer but does not have to be rocked like the Phazer does.

4. He thought yamaha was going to be offering 3 year warranty, 2.9%, a free duffle bag and a jacket. Just for your info. He said adding the extra 2 years would be an option.

5. He mentioned the final mapping has not yet been done and the clutches and being fine tuned. What we rode is not the final production.

6. Back to the steering. The steering was very easy. You could tell they have reliefed the pressure on the skis with this front end. I though it was a little squirrelly on the straight aways. One on stretch I pulled it to 65 and it darted some. I think that would be an easy fix. Maybe because it is soooo lite when it comes to steering. I did love how easy it was coming off an 08 Nytro. One guy who has a 11 Cat said it handled just like his Cat which he likes a lot.

7. I asked him about taking it out west. The rep said he had ridden it out west and he said all you had to do was put gas in it and ride. I asked about clutching and he said there was no need with the 141 inch track, I could see you enjoying it while out west and riding it here in MN. The 1.6 paddles were not an issue on the hard and rough trail we rode. I thought you would be able to tell since the rails are not tipped but you could not. When you hit the throttle it hooked up.

8. I could not get the inside ski to lift when I hit the gas coming out of a corner and believe I tried hard. This thing stayed planted to the ground. Even with the motor set up high it did not feel tippy. I was surprised.

If the mountains are your thing and you are into the best possible performance, I'm sure you would tweak it and make it better.

I thought the 141 was a funner sled. Hooked up really nice and did not push through the corners like I thought it would. I had 5 buddies with me and they all really liked it. 3 were on Ski-Doos and one on a Yamaha. I though the chassis was really nice. It handled the rough trail well.

We were encouraged to take it easy on them since they did not have parts with them. We jumped them on road approaches and I had the 141 up to 80 across the lake. It pulled all the way to 80 and had throttle left. I ended up passing the lead rep and he asked me when I got back what I thought of the motor. We rode them hard.

All in all, a nice sled, I would not have a problem buying on this fall. I might just go in within the next month and order one up. After riding the 141 and the 128, I would get the 141. The rep mentioned that the 141 has been the most liked.

I have two photos I took with my iPhone but I can't post them. I will email them to somebody if they can post them. Just PM me and I will send them to you. I think it might be my iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 184

Nice review... I'm going to gaylord next week to ride one........... The more I look at it the better it sounds.......... Please don't hit me here if you own a nytro.. "BUT" I test rode two of them the first year out and hated them. :o| So I'm hoping the viper is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer. MM. ;)!

MadMax said:
Nice review... I'm going to gaylord next week to ride one........... The more I look at it the better it sounds.......... Please don't hit me here if you own a nytro.. "BUT" I test rode two of them the first year out and hated them. :o| So I'm hoping the viper is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer. MM. ;)!

When is it in gaylord and where?

MNUser said:
I have two photos I took with my iPhone but I can't post them. I will email them to somebody if they can post them. Just PM me and I will send them to you. I think it might be my iPad.

Send them to me and ill add them to your post so everyone can see them :sled1:

I will add them to the post in the am from my computer at work. My iPad keeps telling me the files are empty. Weird.

Yes, it handled WAY better than my Nytro. I thought it corned really well and so did the other guys I was riding with. We all got to take it for a spin. Both track sizes.

That ride was at Zorbas in Brainerd, MN.

They had 2 141s and 1 128.

MNUser said:
I will add them to the post in the am from my computer at work. My iPad keeps telling me the files are empty. Weird.
Yes, it handled WAY better than my Nytro. I thought it corned really well and so did the other guys I was riding with. We all got to take it for a spin. Both track sizes.
That ride was at Zorbas in Brainerd, MN.
They had 2 141s and 1 128.

;)! ;)! ;)!

BooBoo said:
MadMax said:

It's march 6th--9th...It's at a bar near US 131 and the road coming out of gaylord west 10 miles........... I've never been there but it should be east to find....... MM.

MadMax said:
BooBoo said:
MadMax said:

It's march 6th--9th...It's at a bar near US 131 and the road coming out of gaylord west 10 miles........... I've never been there but it should be east to find....... MM.
That's "easy" to find. MM. :o| :o|

so my impressions of the new vipers as stated they had the rtx and 2 xtx,s one with 6" carbites and one with stock I managed to ride the xtx 6" and the rtx along with the apex they had there

A little about me I just got a new 2012 hold over xtx with the backcountry 1.75 track standard skiis have put 1k miles since christmas and have just started to work on dialing in the suspension.

that said -- I thought the xtx viper handled very well it cornered superior to my xtx verry little inside ski lift if any and I tryed to produce it

it did dart on the trails but they were in poor shape and beaten so probably would have done better with good trails

the seat was taller feeling (mabe a little to tall feeling?) than the nytro and wider in the back, I found it comforable but likre the nytro seat a bit better

seating position and leg position in this area the viper is awsome have you ever felt sitting on a nytro if I could just shove my feet a few more inches forward in the foot wells it would be so perfect?.... well this viper has the few inches soooooooo niceeeeeeeeee.........

bar heat was typical ac they had the 2 settings off lo and hi or if you preferr off smolder and deepfry this is one place ac does much better than yamaha hands down

ride quality was superb but so is the nytro but steering was sooooo much lighter on the viper :Rockon:

guages ummmmmmm..... still trying to decide if I like the new gages I'm sure I would get used to them and they had good info just not sure on this???

power seemed just under the nytro and im sure this could be the result of remapping but have to report what I saw/felt and power was definitly a bit down from the nytro

I dont have much to say about the rtx becouse I did not like it as wll as the xtx (truth be told no where near as much)

I have to agree with an earlier post it was great that they got the sleds out for the public to see but the people running it had few answers for all the good and pointed questions being asked however we were allowed to pull off pannels and look over the sleds as much as we wanted so that was nice

all in all I enjoyed the expirence and longevity issues asside it is a great sled.

if i were able to have one or the other same price I would probably become a test pilot on the new viper, but for the steal I got the nytro this season its a no brainer the nytro wins and with money left over to do a few enhancements to bring the nytro to close to the handling of the viper and I must say it the more I ride the nytro the better I like it

all in all a great chance to try out the new sleds :yam:

I could not have said it better i all so think the 141 handled awesome and i all so have some worries about the chain case. well i had a chance to see the viper at a sneak peak last night and they took all the covers off and we got a good look. I asked the rep many question's and he said the chain case and gears have been addressed and they should not fail. the fuel pump is not the same as cat he said. we had the set off and the fuel pump is way at the back and big im not sure where cat's is. he all so told us that the body fastener might be changed. to touch on a post that was on here be for about the demo ride at Colebrook the one sled that had a problem with reverse it was not the chain case it was a wire that had got pinched and shorted they fixed that sled and used it the rest of the day the rep said that yam's sleds will be wired better. all so the rattle that was heard was the clutch like the vectors not the chain case. i think Yamaha knows that we are all worried about the problems cat has had and i think they will have most if not all fixed by the time we get these sleds next winter. just my thoughts

I'm not sure why so many people are looking away from the 129X1.25 tracked SR/RTX models. I've been riding 121x.88/1" lug track sleds for years, love them on the trail, and light off trail use. I am more than happy to enjoy the added length/lug height of the STD Viper Ripsaw ll track. Should maintain awesome trail manners, and better off trail ditch banging thn a 121X1", never mind the added overall hookup. Where I ride however, there's not much need for anything longer than 129" with a 1.25" lug.

This is the type of review I've been expecting to read. Glad to read something positive. Don't suppose the reps said what the dry weight was?

Back