• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Low idle speed?

sk-rx1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
On my 1st ride I was playing with brake feel, one finger, 2 fingers..... Locked up the track and slid to a stop from like 30 mph. When just about stopped I hit the gad again and the sled was not very responsive. Pulled over and idle speed was down to 800-900 rpm. Would not clear up. Rode back to the trailer on what seemed like 2 cylinders. Shut it off to open the trailer, when I restarted the sled all was well again. Rode another 20-30 miles with no issues. Any ideas as to what happened, could see it as a problem in aggressive trail riding.

I would hope the slide to a stop left the belt low in secondary then took off like a poach in what is essentially a high gear. Happens when ever I slide my Apex to a stop always feels bad until shifts out then fine
Hope keeps running well for you

Yes, my Apex did the same, helped it a lot with a clutch kit from Ulmer. But it always ran fine as soon as the belt got back in the right spot, the Viper required a stop and restart. Could become a real pain, guess I will see how it behaves with more miles.

Happened to mine once and I did not lock up my brakes. I was pulling into my garage and bliped the throttle and it started idling at 8-900 rpms and shortly after died, hasn't done it since. I doubt it's in clutching its most likely the ecu.

Happy to see that thread because I would have had to start one.

That it not high gear and has nothing to do with the clutching.

60km on the sled, did some powder, then shut if off to visit my friend. 1 hour later when I started it back again, it wont idle more than 880rpm. 760-880rpm's

It stalled some time because of the low idle speed when I had to put it in reverse. I stopped it more than 10 times and restarted it, It still don't want to idle normally. And yess, it's like it was turning on 2 cylinders, on idling only...

Hope it will idle good tomorrow, but that will not tell me what's the problem. At the end when stalling in reverse, it showed the code: 1338.

I am really disappointed...
Don't think this Viper has the electronics Yamaha should have...

1049triple said:
Happy to see that thread because I would have had to start one.

That it not high gear and has nothing to do with the clutching.

60km on the sled, did some powder, then shut if off to visit my friend. 1 hour later when I started it back again, it wont idle more than 880rpm. 760-880rpm's

It stalled some time because of the low idle speed when I had to put it in reverse. I stopped it more than 10 times and restarted it, It still don't want to idle normally. And yess, it's like it was turning on 2 cylinders, on idling only...

Hope it will idle good tomorrow, but that will not tell me what's the problem. At the end when stalling in reverse, it showed the code: 1338.

I am really disappointed...
Don't think this Viper has the electronics Yamaha should have...
Check your battery maybe low , they must be 12 or higher to run , that's what I hear anyways , mine has been great no problems what so ever and I got 400 miles on her ;)!

Exact same thing happened to my RTX, not during braking either. Sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders and would barely idle. I thought I blew it up :s After shutting it off and restarting it the sled ran fine. Only happened one time but there is definitely a glitch with the ecu. No codes were thrown . . .

Mine did similar but it was after I ran it dry and got air in the fuel rail it did not clear and rode it 80 miles on 2 cyl. until it hit 6600 rpms and would fly then drop back to 2 cyl under 6600. The next morning it started fine and rode all day no problems... don't be an idiot and run it dry :o|

Update:

Fired the sled this morning after it sat all night.
You know what? It is now idling normally.
WTF??

1049triple said:
Update:

Fired the sled this morning after it sat all night.
You know what? It is now idling normally.
WTF??

Yamaha safety monitoring valve - it forces you to slow down and smell the squirells :jump:

rupprider said:
Can it be a vapor lock?

Mine was a definte case of that it took a while to clear but the bubble must have been trapped in there. the next day no problems.

Same thing for me. It took all night long to get rid of that problem.

If you think it might be a vapor lock check the topic "First oil change complete " ryan466 said he found the fuel tank vent froze in ice in bottom of engine pan. Also had a lot of vacuum when went to fuel up.
I just checked mine, vent was on pan cover under engine so I moved it up a couple inches. Have not had the idle problem, but only 46 miles.
Just open clutch side panel and look under engine by looking under the drive clutch. Hose is bluish and zip tied to coolant hose that goes to heat exchange in front of track.

canadianhunter said:
If you think it might be a vapor lock check the topic "First oil change complete " ryan466 said he found the fuel tank vent froze in ice in bottom of engine pan. Also had a lot of vacuum when went to fuel up.
I just checked mine, vent was on pan cover under engine so I moved it up a couple inches. Have not had the idle problem, but only 46 miles.
Just open clutch side panel and look under engine by looking under the drive clutch. Hose is bluish and zip tied to coolant hose that goes to heat exchange in front of track.
X2......................... That's what I was thinking while I read all these posts............ MM.

Back